Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
How can I connect to internet with my 770 on my university using a VPN client or a 802.1x client? On a windows laptop you need to install a Cisco VPN client or a 802.1x SecureW2 client, the last one is prefered.

On Maemo.org I found VPNC client and OpenVPN, you need to make some config file for the last one with the following information:

remote 192.168.1.2
dev tun
ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1
secret static.key

But the only information I have to fill in on a windows machine is my loginname and password and then it works

Can somebody explain which program I should use and how on the 770, if there is any?

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
I think openvpn (as client) is only able to connect to an openvpn server. So unless your university is running one, I doubt you can build a vpn connection with it.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by TVD
How can I connect to internet with my 770 on my university using a VPN client or a 802.1x client? On a windows laptop you need to install a Cisco VPN client or a 802.1x SecureW2 client, the last one is prefered.

[...]

But the only information I have to fill in on a windows machine is my loginname and password and then it works
Of course, you laptop is preconfigured. Have you to configure it you would not be able to : you need a certificate (or a shared secret) as well as a bunch of Ip addresses and netmasks.
Cisco VPN implements IPSEC (or LEAP) as VPN system. I say system because IPSEC is far more than a simple protocol.
As always in order to establish a comm between a client and a server you need common rules (protocols, exchanges rules, etc). On the opposite way if you have already the rules and want to use them you need both sides that understand them.
There are very many softwares capable of IPSEC today : Cisco, 3Com, Nortel, Huwaï equipments, MS-windows, Checkpoint software, NAI Raptor, etc as well as OpenSWan, racoon, ISAKMP in the world of open-source softwares. And, in general there are all able to establsih comm between each others being client or server.
But ... up to now, no IPSEC client (openswan for example) is ported to N770. Not very complicated (the essential parts are now in the 2.6 kernel) but it has to be done !
For now you have only vpnc and openvpn. openvpn is an excellent software but only able to talk with himself.
Surely it's not the case of your university.

db

Being from NL myself and also wanting to use the 770 at my University (TU Delft), I asked about this on the mailing lists. It seems Nokia has not implemented EAP-TTLS yet. But they asked to be emailed if people needed it, so please do! (See first link to mailing list)
For the time being you can use the cisco vpn client:
maemo: vpnc - client for cisco3000 VPN Concentrator
I have just updated the howto to include a menu shortcut:
Maemo wiki: VPNC

see here for more info from the mailing lists:
maemo-users: wpa+ttls
maemo-developers : wavemon...

To automatically connect after the connection manager has gotten a dhcp address:

in file : /etc/udhcpcd/udhcpcd.script

on line 34 before "dbus...CONNECTED"
and after "deconfig)" en "notresponding)":
add the lines:
----------------
# custom script:
/var/lib/install/usr/bin/after-connect-dhcp.sh $1
----------------

add the script: /var/lib/install/usr/bin/after-connect-dhcp.sh
----------------
#/bin/sh

UDHCP_STATE="$1"