Notices

Use Internal GPS, Yes | No. Click yes to have minigpsd use the internal n810 GPS, No to have it not use it. I have a checkbox and clearer text (and it is removed on the n800) in a newer version.

I also have it not run if you try to run it as root, but that will be part of the update later this weekend.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
OK thanks for these small yet very useful changes. How can I run minigpsd together with map though? And, the fact I had it running as root one time? Now it doesn't work anymore. Ever. I rebooted and tried all kind of voodoo, but still I don't know why...

I posted how to run map using minigpsd . like 3 times already

1. Start minigpsd

2. start MAP !

3. Map may ask you to enable GPS SAY YES !!!

Note : You will see the default GPS icon load in the status bar thats what your looking for but you will see that the default icon never locks on any sats .. Thats CUZ you have minigpsd doing it for you..

Hope this helps

Computerfreek

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
OK thanks for these small yet very useful changes. How can I run minigpsd together with map though? And, the fact I had it running as root one time? Now it doesn't work anymore. Ever. I rebooted and tried all kind of voodoo, but still I don't know why...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Not much is happening. Although gpsd is a zombie process, and minigpsd is running.

How do I use the default icon instead of the minigpsd one? How do I use the official GPS data server by Nokia instead of gpsgate.com?

agps is the "official" server and works with some other task (gpsdriver). Gpsgate is a tracking and mapping service. They are completely separate. The agps allows the internal gps on the n810 to lock on faster (you need the app, but the rest is completely transparent). The "default" icon - I think you mean the location manager which is available from the control panel, under "Location", but with a target icon like GPS,

Feedback on a N810 still running Chinook (no agps) :

The statusbar applet doesn't install due to dependency problems. minigpsd and the setup app do install. I ran setup, chose internal GPS and start gpsd.

At first I had only a tiny square with a cross, like missing images in Internet Explorer.
Then a red circle with a grayed satellite in it (I think, it's very small...)
I left it there and returned after a few minutes, the circle had changed and had moving colored spots in it.
Then I launched maemo mapper without changing its GPS setup and it found the fix quickly.

All in all a definite improvement on the stock GPS driver which is almost unusable on Chinook. But is that graphic in the setup app supposed to be so tiny ?...

Thanks for the app,
fp

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
But is that graphic in the setup app supposed to be so tiny ?...
looks like a missing graphic to me...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by computerfreek View Post
here is my real-time tracking map...
That's just creepy... I now know where you live

I would never post a link to a map that shows anyone on the Internet where my device is.

It could be useful for me, to track my device if stolen, however...

That will be locked down to just frends and family . Just giving you guys the page so you can use the code if you like. Also if you just use gpsgate.com with minigpsd you can make it 100% locked to only you and frends.

I seen a site the other day for Iphone owners realtime gps tracking and it showed all of them on a one big map for anyone to see like 1000+ iphones in reatime . And when you click on a user it listed the address even. real crazy stuff

Thanks
computerfreek

Originally Posted by qole View Post
That's just creepy... I now know where you live

I would never post a link to a map that shows anyone on the Internet where my device is.

It could be useful for me, to track my device if stolen, however...

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Munich, Germany
The link to the sources seem to be outdated. I'm just curious how this thing is implemented ;-)

Would you perhaps consider setting up a project at garage.maemo.org and moving the sources there?

Regards,
Hakan

Tags
gps, obd2