Active Topics

Has anyone seen this?
http://jan.wildeboer.net/2011/02/mic...and-xbox-apps/

No software or documentation with GPL or any other license that requires distribution of source code or even allows free redistribution of binaries.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Ha, who cares? No one is using their proprietary, lock down, close source, technically handicapped, OS any way.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Ha, who cares? No one is using their proprietary, lock down, close source, technically handicapped, OS any way.
Nokia say that they are headed that way as fast as they can.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
so? we are still in the same position wrt to n900, maemo and meego so who cares?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Meh, dig your own grave Microsoft. Slowly but surely, you'll get deep enough for the mounds of dirt to collapse on their own weight and bury you.

Unless what they're afraid of is that license being used to try to force opening of Microsoft's code because the Windows Phone 7 is being distributed with the open software, if you, say, give the phone to someone else while FOSS is installed - but is that even a valid understanding of how GPLv3 works? Because as far as I know, it can only apply to things that are 'distributed with' the software under the same licence, not just distributed with arbitrarily.

Meh, I just don't see them at all benefiting from this in the long term.

Originally Posted by j.s View Post
No software or documentation with GPL or any other license that requires distribution of source code or even requires free redistribution of binaries.
Fixed that for you. That is actually the operative word here: requires. BSD licences might be acceptable. Certainly Microsoft's licences will probably all be valid.

My understanding is that Apple has the same problem with GPL, so this shouldn't be a shock.

http://web.archive.org/web/200112111...n-micro01.html

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches. That's the way that the license works." - steve ballmer ..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abubakar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I'm not buying Nokia Windows phone 7.

Who is with me?

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I'm not buying Windows anything made by anyone, for that matter.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I'm not buying Windows anything made by anyone, for that matter.
Yup totally agree with you! only windows l'll be buying is for my house