Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Hi There
When using the terminal, Im working within a normal linux file system structure, which I am presuming is protected as I can't see this structure when using mass storage mode from the PC
How can I transfer files from /home/user to a folder that I can then access from my PC in mass storage mode?
I can see folders under ./obex-root, which sort of correspond to view from my PC, but cant get into any of them apart from documents which if I copy files to - do not show up when viewing from my pc

Whats the best way to do this?
How does the n900 filestructure work?

Many thanks

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Here's the breakdown:

/ is the root system partition where applications are loaded. This is a two Gigabyte partition.

/home/user/MyDocs is the area that is visable from the N900's GUI filemanager as "N900". This is the remainder of the internal 32GB chunk (about 27~ GB).

/media/mmc1 is the Micro SCHC card.

When you plug in the N900 in USB Mass storage mode, the host PC maps the /media/mmc1 and the /home/user/MyDocs partitions as separate readable drives.

If you want to move files from anywhere else onto your PC, first copy them to either the SDHC card, or to /home/user/MyDocs.

Hope this helps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
Hi There
When using the terminal, Im working within a normal linux file system structure, which I am presuming is protected as I can't see this structure when using mass storage mode from the PC
How can I transfer files from /home/user to a folder that I can then access from my PC in mass storage mode?
Do an "ls -la" in the terminal when you are in /home/user - the directories are all beginning with a ".".

So you have .documents/, .images/ and so on - these directories should show up when you connect the N900 to your PC.

EDIT: In /home/user/MyDocs that is - not in /home/user.

Last edited by range; 2009-12-07 at 13:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Here's the breakdown:

/ is the root system partition where applications are loaded. This is a two Gigabyte partition.

/home/user/MyDocs is the area that is visable from the N900's GUI filemanager as "N900". This is the remainder of the internal 32GB chunk (about 27~ GB).

When you plug in the N900 in USB Mass storage mode, the host PC maps the /media/mmc1 and the /home/user/MyDocs partitions as separate readable drives.

If you want to move files from anywhere else onto your PC, first copy them to either the SDHC card, or to /home/user/MyDocs.

Hope this helps.
This isn't quite right though. I'm not sure I know exactly how its set up, but this isn't it.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Here's the breakdown:

Actually / is 256MB built-in to the CPU package. It contains the OS/Firmware.

/opt -> /home/opt is 2GB reserved from the 32GB internal storage chip. It is meant to be used for anything you install on top of the standard firmware as / has very little spare space.

Hope this helps.
Is correct.

Basically, /home/user/MyDocs is where you are expected to put all your files such as music, videos, documents. The camera also saves here.

If you really need to access other parts of the filesystem you can always install OpenSSH - Server and then use winscp (if you are on Windows) to login and browse the filesystem. I am not sure if OpenSSH is in testing or extra though and you need to be a lot more careful when using it anyway as it gives you power to change things that will stop everything working.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2009-12-07 at 13:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
This isn't quite right though. I'm not sure I know exactly how its set up, but this isn't it.
Really? That's how it's always presented itself on my device.
Here's a df output from the N900:

http://www.besh.com/~chad/shot.txt

Last edited by cddiede; 2009-12-07 at 13:35.

Really? That's how it's always presented itself on my device.
Here's a df output from the N900:

http://www.besh.com/~chad/shot.txt
Your rootfs is mounted on / and in your df output is shown as having 227.9MB of total size. That's not 2GB. /opt is actually in /home and has the additional 2GB for packages from Extras and the remainder of the 32GB built-in MMC is on /home/user/MyDocs.

So it wasn't quite what you'd described earlier, but I can see why you'd perhaps describe it that way. The fact remains though, that the rootfs is quite small and we need 'care in the community' to ensure that it doesn't get filled up.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Thanks guys - that was exactly what I needed to know

All sorted now

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
for later purposes:

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_filesystem

will soon add the sizes of the partitions to the table.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
So why the 2GB partition at /dev/mmcblk0p2 (/home)? Is this for the rest of the system that wouldnt fit in the rootfs? Basically, /home is stuff we shouldn't really touch, and /dev/mmcblk0p1 (/home/user/MyDocs) we can use?