Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Noted with thanks. However, I'm not there quite yet, although I will be needing that info.

Current issue is that I can't get the simonics server to generate a SIP connection. It says it can't log into my GV account. Logging in directly works fine so it doesn't seem to be my credentials. I'm continuing to work on it...

I'm confused.

Exactly what step are you on?

It really shouldn't be this hard.

Oh, by the way, there was a small typo I just found in that post I gave you.

Here's the correct method:

Use for Telephone calls: On
Username: GV[insert your number here]@gvgw1.simonics.com
Password: [as provided] (secret)
Advanced:
Username: GV[insert your number here] or Username (ex.GV1234567891)
Transport: UDP
Outbound proxy: gvgw1.simonics.com
Port: 5060
Discover public address: On
Loose rouing: On
Keep-alive period: Automatic
Auto-detect STUN: On

In that link, it had
Outbound proxy: gvgw1.simonic.com
not simonics like it should be.

Sorry about that.

I am signing up for the simonics SIP gateway. There seems to be a problem with the server. Although my GV credentials are correct and I can log in normally to my account via a browser, the SIP gateway server reports "can't connect to GV account" and won't create a SIP account . I've contacted Bill Simons and he is investigating.

I certainly wish it wasn't this hard, but I've wrestled with this VoIP thing every step of the way. It's quickly moving up on the list of "all-time worst setups ever". I think it's passed into Murphy's territory.

The Following User Says Thank You to gryvn For This Useful Post:
Well that stinks.

I got a spam email from Bill a few months back stating that around 64 people in the entire world signed up for his service.

I haven't heard anything from him since then.

Anyway, once you get a SIP number, don't settle for anything that isn't free, you should be good to go in about 3 minutes.

But knowing your luck, I'll just say you'll probably be good by next week.

Hey Nokia users,

The gateway is still alive and doing well. There are about 340 users up and running on the gateway as of now. You won't get spammed by me--one e-mail every three or four months isn't too bad, is it?

I would encourage anyone who is struggling with the sign-up process to first log in to Google Talk from another IM client:

http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html

I found with one other person this morning that this seems to "unstick" the login process (he used iChat). I don't believe it has to do with the gateway but with Google. "Beta, experimental, unsupported" are all correct terms to use with Google services in general! (including this gateway, which is my service and not Google's, but I'll support you the best I can)

A new feature added since you signed up, Addison: dial 1186 to connect to the Google Voice menu. If you wish to listen to your voicemail rather than read it, or turn on Do Not Disturb, you can do it here.

Good luck everyone and enjoy the gateway service. If you love the Google Voice Gateway, donations are accepted to offset operating costs. (The biggest costs are actually the caller ID name [CNAM] database queries, and hosting bandwidth.)

Bill Simon

ps: if you need help from me, please use the e-mail address on https://simonics.com/gvgw/ as I won't be checking this forum very often.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to simonics For This Useful Post:
I'm just sending in regular reports on my progress and I see that Bill jumped in. He is da Man! Helped me along until we got a successful registration just now so I'm off to set it up in the n810. Wish me luck.

Breadcrumbs for any future travelers here: confirming Bill's suggestion to log into Google chat with a third-party client before trying to register on the Simonics gateway to "limber up" the Google machinery. It seems to want to see a login via XMPP before it will respond correctly. Not 100% sure that was it but it's the only clue as why I was having trouble.

REALLY appreciate your concern and help, Bill. Many thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to gryvn For This Useful Post:
Final report! It works! Calls in and out on my n810! There's a lag, of course, but as long as you can't hear it in actual time from another source you'll never notice it. I'm not sure about the ultimate practicality of the thing as a cell phone replacement because of having to have the wireless radio on all the time/battery life, but now that the frustrating part is done I'm in geek heaven, as always when I can actually manage to make something work.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using a wireless mobile hot spot as the ultimate step in this exercise, to remove the need for public hot spots from the equation and have full-time coverage? And if there's any actual financial or practical advantage, since one could just tether to a cell phone anyway? How do data minutes compare to voice minutes? Or is it all metered as data volume and time has nothing to do with it?

Thanks to all who replied. Addison's setup directions worked perfectly. If anyone else stumbles on this thread looking to set this up, I'd be happy to share my experiences.

Try to kill any ongoing CPU junk before your call, meta-crawler, Modest, apps, etc.

Nifty new little feature on checking voice mails. Thank you Bill!

As for me, I don't want to be connected and available 24/7, tracking minutes, worrying about roaming charges, staying within a data plan, etc.

It also gives me a great excuse for not calling people back right away.