Active Topics

Hi,

Is there any Wifi radar application available for Maemo?

Thanks

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
kismet?
oh, you mean something reliable?
:-(

Kismet seems to work fine for me...

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ corpus christi texas
As long as you turn off the network manager to stop searching every 5-10 mins, kismet works fine.You'll have to reset wlan after your done, or reboot machine to be able reset mon mode, or use the net again.

Last edited by mikedmann; 2008-03-05 at 19:41. Reason: I didn't like my post.

Cool.

Thanks guys.

What do you want to do? The connection applet does the same things as WiFi Radar did on the Zaurus. If you want a real scanner, go with Kismet.
I'm trying to get Wellenreiter to work, but it's an uphill battle. It's written in Perl, but there are so many unresolved dependencies.

Walt

I also have kismet installed on the n810 but really don't know what to do with it...

Ah man, I have now really starting using Kismet and it really is not working very well. It seems very inconsistent. Anybody know why? Also, I forgot how to reset the wireless *doh*, can someone refresh my memory?

Thanks.

how does one get and install kismet?

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
Newf,

Start with http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3595531

This will give you an idea of what you're getting into. Kismet is a passive sniffer and with a working GPS you can map what you detect. This is called WarDriving which is a hobby for many in the Network Security field. It also is interesting if you're interested in your own network's security. If you have the resources, a lot of libraries have the book "WarDriving Drive,Detect,Defend" By Chris Hurley, Frank Thornton and Michael Pucol. There are three chapters on setting up and using Kismet on several different distros.

You can get Kismet 2007.01.R1b-1.0 from the Eko One repository in Poland. This is already setup for the Nokia 770/800 wireless "card" (don't know about the 810). You have to edit the kismet.conf to enable GPS.

Best of luck and Welcome to WarDriving!

Karl
electrolind