Poll: Do you like EasyList?
Poll Options
Do you like EasyList?

I am very happy with this app, and am trying to install the database on my own server to do syncing there. I have downloaded the files given in the zip file in the first post, and have php and mysql running on my server.

On my first try, I got the following error when accessing index.php:
Code:
PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '<' in /var/www/easylist/dbconnection.php on line 2
I guess I need to do some slight modifications to the .php files, like changing these lines:
Code:
        $_SESSION['dbUsername'] = <USERNAME>;
        $_SESSION['dbPassword'] = <PASSWORD>;
Do you have a simple step-by-step guide to what I need to do?

PS: Where can I donate to you?

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by judhaz View Post
I guess I need to do some slight modifications to the .php files, like changing these lines:
Code:
        $_SESSION['dbUsername'] = <USERNAME>;
        $_SESSION['dbPassword'] = <PASSWORD>;
Do you have a simple step-by-step guide to what I need to do?
Put there the username and password of the database you use for EasyList:

Code:
        $_SESSION['dbUsername'] = 'judhaz';
        $_SESSION['dbPassword'] = 'easilyguessablepassword';

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Put there the username and password of the database you use for EasyList:
I think these entries are more like username and password for the mysql database, not easylist passwords.

I guess I need to create a mysql database and grant access for a username with password and put in those values. I'll send an update if I succeed.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
I think these entries are more like username and password for the mysql database, not easylist passwords.

I guess I need to create a mysql database and grant access for a username with password and put in those values. I'll send an update if I succeed.
Umm... I think that's exactly what I said.

I'm sorry if I wrote it unclearly.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Umm... I think that's exactly what I said.

I'm sorry if I wrote it unclearly.
Indeed, it was me that misread it - sorry!

Anyway, this is what I've done so far:
- Recover my root password for mysql
- Create a new database for easylist:
Code:
# mysql -u root -p
    create database easylistdb;
    create user 'easylist'@'%' identified by 'easylist';
    create user 'easylist'@'localhost' identified by 'easylist';
    set password for 'easylist'@'%' = password('easylist');
    set password for 'easylist'@'localhost' = password('easylist');
    connect easylistdb;
    grant all privileges on *.* to 'easylist'@'%' with grant option;
    grant all privileges on *.* to 'easylist'@'localhost' with grant option;
    flush privileges;
    exit;
- Create tables for easylist ('willemliu_ezlist.sql' was included in the .zip file, outside the easylist/ directory):
Code:
# mysql -u root -p
mysql> connect easylistdb;
mysql> source /tmp/willemliu_ezlist.sql;
- Successfully sign up and log in, create a persistent list from the web interface.

PROBLEM: I have setup up my server to do https only (http will be redirected to https) with authentication, and the app itself doesn't seem to cope with this. Is this a "missing feature" or should it in fact work? (I am am able to authenticate and log in using the web app of my Nokia N9).

I have now disabled https on my server and do pure http. Still, it doesn't work when I try to "sync" from the app.

I can see in the server log that my phone is accessing
Code:
/easylist/getList.php?username=USERNAME&password=SOMEHASH&xml=v2
but I get a message saying "Can't synchronize. Unable to synchronize with online list. Please make sure you've correctly setup your sync account in settings."

If I paste that very same adress into my browser, I do get the list as XML in return.

Maybe there is something I don't quite understand with "syncing" with the online list. What will be the name of this list? I have created a list called "Test" in the app, and try to sync from within that list. On the web interface I have created a few items, but don't really know the name of that list.

Also, I understand that it is not really synchronization, but rather overwriting with wichever list is the freshest, right?

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Amsterdam
I have never tested with HTTPS myself so I don't know if the QML HTTP connection supports HTTPS or not.

Anyway I've updated the easylist.zip with the latest PHP files. You can download it from the first post now. Those files are now exactly the same as the ones I use on http://easylist.willemliu.nl.

The error you get might be that the latest N9 EasyList doesn't work correctly with the older webservice.

You are correct that the "syncing" isn't really a sync. It downloads the list if that list is newer and ignores it if it's not.

If I paste that very same adress into my browser, I do get the list as XML in return.
This means that the webservice is working correctly and the problem probably lies in the communication between EasyList app and the webservice. It could be a change in the protocol causing an error.
Download the latest easylist.zip from the first post and try those files. Don't forget to edit dbconnection.php again with your username, password and database name.

Maybe there is something I don't quite understand with "syncing" with the online list. What will be the name of this list? I have created a list called "Test" in the app, and try to sync from within that list. On the web interface I have created a few items, but don't really know the name of that list.
You are not required to create any list in the app. If you create the list on the website then those lists will be downloaded to the app.

Do mind that the username and password in the app is not the database username and password but rather the account username and password which you've created on the list webservice.

Thanks for updating the zip file!

I see that the web interface has changed, and it seems it supports a dropdown list of available lists. However, the dropdown is always empty for me, even though I seemingly manage to create a new list in the web interface, as I get "List test4 saved." when I press the Save button.

However, when I check the mysql database, the list is not saved.

I have updated dbconnection.php with the mysql username and password and database name.

I use lighttpd, and have noticed the following errors/warnings after updating the .php files:
Code:
2012-06-09 18:28:03: (mod_fastcgi.c.2701) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Notice:  Undefined index: username in /var/www/easylist/loginFunctions.php
 on line 19
PHP Notice:  Undefined index: password in /var/www/easylist/loginFunctions.php on line 20
and

Code:
2012-06-09 18:24:17: (mod_fastcgi.c.2701) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Warning:  mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/easylist/listFunctions.php on line 40
PHP Warning:  mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/easylist/index.php on line 88
which is a bit strange, 'cause the syntax seems correct.

Any suggestions on how to proceed on this highly appreciated!