Active Topics

Poll: How do you prefer to organise subforums?
Poll Options
How do you prefer to organise subforums?

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
One cold take a look at xda.developers.forum that is a forum looking similar to what OP is suggesting.

You have you OS's with device subforums that got devided into 3-4 subforums and a general subforum for each OS also devided into 3-4 subforums.
It's pretty easy to navigate around that forum and find things for your device specific or something in general for your OS.
I really like XDA and the way it's build. It's a bit big and got 4 mil.+ users, but still git the 'home' feeling in your device section.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sifo View Post
maybe this is out of the thread but i hope that will be a fast conversation like chat if possible faster than PM this will keep us here more and so its not necessary to move to a social
network. sounds crazy ?
Not crazy, just unnecessary - we have IRC for that.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
One cold take a look at xda.developers.forum that is a forum looking similar to what OP is suggesting.

You have you OS's with device subforums that got devided into 3-4 subforums and a general subforum for each OS also devided into 3-4 subforums.
It's pretty easy to navigate around that forum and find things for your device specific or something in general for your OS.
I really like XDA and the way it's build. It's a bit big and got 4 mil.+ users, but still git the 'home' feeling in your device section.

Regards Dousan...
i hate xda as every cheaper android phone doesnt get a subforum so custom roms and such for those devices are in general development and are hard to find and navigate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post

Regards Dousan...
I like the idea of looking at other forum layouts for influence. We could also/maybe have a ribbon across the top of the page like Mobile Nations for each OS or sub forum?

It would also be nice to see a page dedicated to the Raspberry Pi, as there are quite a few users on the boards who are eager to buy one.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
On the other hand, I can imagine how happy Reggie is about ideas of big changes including moderate/high amount of work from his side Well, maybe at least having Nokia paying forum bills and "blessing" for ideas through qgil could help @ persuading changes...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
i hate xda as every cheaper android phone doesnt get a subforum so custom roms and such for those devices are in general development and are hard to find and navigate
I see your point.
This should only be seen as a reference to how it's build and the changed maemo.org wouldn't run into this problem as i see it, there won't be more than a couple of handfull of devices associated with maemo.org or wich ever name it would take. So I don't see people would be getting lost in the general subforum, hence if it's a device you'll find on maemo.org it'll have it's own subforum and I don't think Tizen, meltemi, meego or any other OS of that type growing big as android with that much fragmentation.
So i think it would be safe to build a new maemo forum on the principles of how xda i structered.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-05-03 at 05:43.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
What about some parent-poster specified platform tags ? Might be used for filtering, show up under the headline (if enabled)...
Indeed, this is the most needed change, to be able to specify to which platform(s) apply each thread on general sections.

Something similar to tagging would be useful because it could also be applied to already existing threads, either by their OP or moderators.

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2012-05-03 at 13:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
I agree with forum rearrangement, we also need to add in that Harmattan needs it's own development and applications forums too. Not just a Meego/Harmattan section and a N9/950 section.
If we had something like tags to classify the threads to their corresponding platforms, that shouldn't be necessary.

Right now, the Applications, Games, etc.. subforums don't belong exclusively to the N900. As you can see, some OP are now including in the title to which machine applies.

Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
shouldn't their be a section for Hardware Mods

just like Estel's(well most of them actually )
HDMI-Out for N900
Camera cover MOD
Mount for telescopic trivet MOD
mugen-cover-power MOD
& Latest
[Pre-Pre-Pre Announce]Black Aluminum replacement body & backcover for N900

&
dr_frost_dk's
Homemade 3000mAh XL Battery

& Lots more under
USB hostmode(HEN)

and some mods(i wish in near future) like
N900 Dual Sim Mod
N900 Dual(Analog) Sim Mod
Chinese Zoom lens on N900 Mod
Solar Charger Mod ;p
IR port Data Transfer MOD
FM transmitter walkie-talkie(Press to talk) Mod
USB Analog/Digital Tv tuner Dongle on N900 MOD(i wish i wish i wish )
Open Data Card USB Dongle to work on N900 MOD(another wish)

just felt they need a Separate category
Hardware mods apply (usually) to a single device, so they can be put under the Hardware/Device corresponding section.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
On the other hand, I can imagine how happy Reggie is about ideas of big changes including moderate/high amount of work from his side Well, maybe at least having Nokia paying forum bills and "blessing" for ideas through qgil could help @ persuading changes...
FYI, I'm open to changes. One thing I learned here is to not make immediate changes without talking about it, or running them through the community -- that's why I'm happy to see this thread.

In any case, I don't do all the moderating since there are other moderators. Before, council members help moderate. Maybe we can add "moderating" the forum as part of the the newly elected council members' tasks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post: