Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
Hi All,
Thanks justmemory for the big work you've done.
Unfortunately the ubuntu-n900.deb does not work as UbuntuOne has been discontinued. Does someone still own this file? If not, is there a way to install and access it without it (the deb file) ?
Thanks in advance!!!
Hi Boemien,

certainly!

Sorry for the late reply. I'm at work now, but as soon as i arrive home i will upload the deb file.

EDIT: file uploaded

jm
Attached Files
File Type: deb ubuntu-n900_0.2.6_armel.deb (92.8 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by justmemory; 2014-07-08 at 18:47. Reason: Attached file

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
Hi Boemien,

certainly!

Sorry for the late reply. I'm at work now, but as soon as i arrive home i will upload the deb file.

EDIT: file uploaded

jm
Yay, Thanks a lot!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Hi all,

I finally found a way to fix the keyboard focus lost. It appeared, as justmemory explained in his guide here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=506 that when pressing control + backspace, one could not type anymore inside Ubuntu.

So following the Easy Debian Wiki, http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian I modified two files.

First you have to chroot inside ubuntu.

Then use Winscp or other ssh soft to acces the files.

The first one is located under ./ubuntu/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

just add these lines:

Code:
@xbindkeys -f /home/user/.xbindkeysrc
xkbset exp 60 =sticky =twokey =latchlock
xkbset sticky -twokey latchlock
Save it then go to the second file located under /.ubuntu/usr/bin/xephwm5

change the lines containing qobi-wmhint-fix and set-focus (close to the end) so that they read

Code:
sudo /sbin/qobi-wmhint-fix $PARWIN
#/usr/bin/set-focus $PARWIN
I hope it will work for you. For the terminal problem, i don't have a solution for now, but i'm going to search! Thanks for continuing to work. Ubuntu is definitely faster than Easy Debian.

PS: I don't know if it does a difference but EASY DEBIAN is still installed in the phone.

TO DO: Find what config file Easy Debian uses to run LXDE and apply it to Ubuntu. I hope that I could be able to finally uninstall Easy Debian and use its config files with ubuntu.

Last edited by Boemien; 2014-07-09 at 04:12.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Hi all,

I finally found a way to fix the keyboard focus lost. It appeared, as justmemory explained in his guide here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=506 that when pressing control + backspace, one could not type anymore inside Ubuntu.

So following the Easy Debian Wiki, http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian I modified two files.

First you have to chroot inside ubuntu.

Then use Winscp or other ssh soft to acces the files.

The first one is located under ./ubuntu/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

just add these lines:

Code:
@xbindkeys -f /home/user/.xbindkeysrc
xkbset exp 60 =sticky =twokey =latchlock
xkbset sticky -twokey latchlock
Save it then go to the second file located under /.ubuntu/usr/bin/xephwm5

change the lines containing qobi-wmhint-fix and set-focus (close to the end) so that they read

Code:
sudo /sbin/qobi-wmhint-fix $PARWIN
#/usr/bin/set-focus $PARWIN
I hope it will work for you. For the terminal problem, i don't have a solution for now, but i'm going to search! Thanks for continuing to work. Ubuntu is definitely faster than Easy Debian.

PS: I don't know if it does a difference but EASY DEBIAN is still installed in the phone.

TO DO: Find what config file Easy Debian uses to run LXDE and apply it to Ubuntu. I hope that I could be able to finally uninstall Easy Debian and use its config files with ubuntu.
Brilliant, Boemien, thanks a lot, it is working flawlessly! This little thing was madness for me... One addition: I changed the "qobi" line without the "sudo", because i have root privileges by default.

Mentioning the autostart file: i removed the xscreensaver line, as it is quite CPU hungry when it is running and i wasn't able to set it properly...

Ubuntu is faster for me too, but as Estel explained earlier, theoretically there shouldn't be a difference, so maybe it is just a feeling But i can watch even movies with mplayer almost without one single lag...

I think there is no difference whether easy debian is installed or not, because - as i know, but please correct me - they use different config files as they run.
I don't know if you could use easy debian's config file to run ubuntu; but why would you like to do that...? Theoretically you can uninstall them separately. Earlier i had them both installed on my phone, then i uninstalled them separately (easy ubuntu was first installed, it was working; then easy debian was installed, it was working almost fine; then uninstalled easy debian and i could use easy ubuntu...).

Thanks again,

jm

Last edited by justmemory; 2014-07-09 at 07:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
I think there is no difference whether easy debian is installed or not, because - as i know, but please correct me - they use different config files as they run.
I don't know if you could use easy debian's config file to run ubuntu; but why would you like to do that...? Theoretically you can uninstall them separately. Earlier i had them both installed on my phone, then i uninstalled them separately (easy ubuntu was first installed, it was working; then easy debian was installed, it was working almost fine; then uninstalled easy debian and i could use easy ubuntu...).

Thanks again,

jm
Yep, i noticed a little difference in the UI. When opening Ubuntu with Easy Debian installed, the UI is quite nice (with a beautiful background ) When i uninstall Easy Debian, the UI in ubuntu is a little bit weird (with GTK things/warnings). It's not a big problem for me too. I'll try to play a bit with the files and see if it changes something.

PS: Thumb up for the screen-saver tip.

And last thing: Do you know how to uninstall softwares using the chroot ? The software center seems not to work. Thanks.

EDIT: The GTK warnings disappear by changing the theme.

Last edited by Boemien; 2014-07-09 at 17:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by justmemory
. I cannot test LXMusic, because it doesn't want to play the file, but I assume it also has sound. Try another music player, for example Exaile.
Try to change the Audio output plugin to PulseAudio, then OK.
It works quite well! I tried VLC but it has lags when the sound plays (about 5 sec, then it runs fine).

As you tested many browsers, try fennec. it has a good touch friendly interface. I'm just bored everytime it asks me for profile creation.

For Terminal problem, I tried to install Gnome-terminal but something went wrong. It does not appear in the menu. I think it's a dependency problem. But I can launch it via ubuntu chroot (useless as we have maemo xterm).

PS: When i want to uninstall a soft (LXTerminal or LXMusic for example) it tries to uninstall also lxde*.
What command do I need to only uninstall LXTerminal without uninstalling lxde ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Yep, i noticed a little difference in the UI. When opening Ubuntu with Easy Debian installed, the UI is quite nice (with a beautiful background ) When i uninstall Easy Debian, the UI in ubuntu is a little bit weird (with GTK things/warnings). It's not a big problem for me too. I'll try to play a bit with the files and see if it changes something.

PS: Thumb up for the screen-saver tip.

And last thing: Do you know how to uninstall softwares using the chroot ? The software center seems not to work. Thanks.

EDIT: The GTK warnings disappear by changing the theme.
hi,

the gtk warnings are related to the .gtkrc file located in /root. didn't i mention that in the experiences writing...? hmm... if not then i shall make up for that

on easy ubuntu you can install synaptic, then the application launcher in maemo will work; because synaptic is not installed on easy ubuntu by default.

thanks for the browser tip, i shall try. now i use midori, it works perfectly, small footprint, plays flash, not asking for profile...

for gnome terminal maybe you should have gnome, not LXDE... but maybe you can install dependencies as nautilus can be installed too. if no shortcut appears, maybe you should do your own - i made quite a lot for my desired programs.

you can not uninstall LX* things. believe me... i tried once... total distruction... so, LXDE runs with those, but there are many-many alternatives for the work you would like to do with those.
oh, and one more thing: LXMusic now has sound for me; changing the output solved the sound problem.

jm

Last edited by justmemory; 2014-07-09 at 20:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Hi All,

due to the conversation with Boemien I refreshed my earlier experiences.

Cheers,

jm

EDIT: edited in connection with tablet-encode, and copying image content.
Attached Files
File Type: zip easy_ubuntu_experiences.zip (466.0 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by justmemory; 2014-08-06 at 07:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
anyone can upload on somewhere about Archlinux chroot installation files? and i need fedora-n900.deb

thanks

edit...

i get fedora-n900.deb file
Attached Files
File Type: deb fedora.deb (14.2 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by uuuaaaqq; 2015-01-13 at 20:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to uuuaaaqq For This Useful Post:
Good afternoon,
there is any way to run Sailfish OS? It is the one with the telephone features enabled.