You would love to see a high price?

I'd be content with all of those specs, but a low one

Then again, if this announcement is anything to do with the rumours surrounding Jolla and Oppo earlier this year, then maybe we could both get our wish...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by From Vertu with Love View Post
You would love to see a high price?

I'd be content with all of those specs, but a low one

Then again, if this announcement is anything to do with the rumours surrounding Jolla and Oppo earlier this year, then maybe we could both get our wish...
Small quantity premium spec require high price and i rather see that than low spec medium price like jolla l. Oppo or Nokia behind this new Phone would indeed be really cool. But if we look at the image jolla teased With its no chance that oppo designed high end Phone like that. Looks like a cheap toy. The device in your link looks amazing. Install sail on that and you have an instant hit.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-11-16 at 18:35.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Anyone know if Where i can track Down carsten's speach/slides?
https://ida.dk/sites/prod.ida.dk/files/cool_6.pdf
http://monster.tspre.org/~carsten/Jolla_IDA.pdf (32mb)

Speech should appear later on in video format AFAIK.

Nothing in there revolving around the current topic.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Could it be this brand/phone or some cousin? Look at the form...

http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadg...dia_launch.jpg
A Mi3 with Sailfish would be awesome
But, as we all see, Xiaomi always is "inspired" (or, as they say: came to the same result totally independently) by other manufacturers (Mi4-iPhone) the Mi3 is a Nokia - lookalike. Lumia. At least inspired.
And that sounds a lot better, right?
We love Nokia devices (or you do, I never had one) and they are known as durable.. Whatever, Nokia won't produce a device anymore, but they sell Nokia licenses. Maybe to Jolla? That could boost Jolla quite a bit and the device could look like a Lumia (That would maybe become a problem with Microsoft as they call windows phone now Lumia, at least on Twitter).
Tomorrow (11-17) Nokia CEO will announce something about the Nokia enterprise Foxcom (But just speculations... The source is in German, the first when you Google news "Nokia") that could maybe produce the phone with Nokia branding.
That would definitely be something BIG!
What do you think?

Originally Posted by KempeWeidenbaum View Post
We love Nokia devices (or you do, I never had one) and they are known as durable.. Whatever, Nokia won't produce a device anymore, but they sell Nokia licenses. Maybe to Jolla? That could boost Jolla quite a bit and the device could look like a Lumia (That would maybe become a problem with Microsoft as they call windows phone now Lumia, at least on Twitter).
Tomorrow (11-17) Nokia CEO will announce something about the Nokia enterprise Foxcom (But just speculations... The source is in German, the first when you Google news "Nokia") that could maybe produce the phone with Nokia branding.
That would definitely be something BIG!
What do you think?
I think Microsoft got the exclusive right to produce Nokia branded smartphones until the end of next year (though they are dropping the Nokia brand already). Nokia can't make Nokia phones or license the name to any other manufacturer before 2016.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ssahla For This Useful Post:
Oh I think I missed this... I just read it.
Damn, would have been awesome... Well I guess it's a phone actually. Maybe they find a way to make it compatible with the TOH that exist... That would be the best way.

The Following User Says Thank You to KempeWeidenbaum For This Useful Post:
I think the chances of Sailfish devices made by Xiaomi, and either Jolla or Xiaomi branded are pretty much nil at this stage. Way too big. They'd have nothing to gain.

Oppo / their parent company are exploring all sorts of options ... OnePlus and CyanogenMod ... there are continual rumours about them preparing Ubuntu in anticipation of the Meizu Ubuntu launch being a success ... so it's more likely. But still, Sailfish is pretty ropey, so I think an Oppo or Oneplus branded device is unlikely until the latter half of next year at the earliest. I do hope however that Jolla may be able to make large enough orders next year to use Oppo as their OEM / ODM. A cosmetically altered Oppo U3 would be a great replacement for the existing Jolla - 4.6" 1920x1080 and an octacore ARMv8 Mediatek chip ... though I wouldn't read anything into it, for the conspiracy theorists the U3 is due to launch some time this month or next.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-11-17 at 03:56.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I think it would be a mistake for Jolla to take an existing Chinese phone and badge engineer it. They need to stick with their Finnish design for their own handsets and that should not just be 'cosmetically altered' skin deep changes.

Though if they are badge engineering something, can I have Sailfish on a Lumigon T2 ? ;-)

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I think it would be a mistake for Jolla to take an existing Chinese phone and badge engineer it. They need to stick with their Finnish design for their own handsets and that should not just be 'cosmetically altered' skin deep changes.

Though if they are badge engineering something, can I have Sailfish on a Lumigon T2 ? ;-)
What exactly is Finnish design? If "Finnish design" is what resulted in the first phone, they can shove it. Anyway, it's ridiculous to try and engineer even some of it themselves ... they'll just end up with a hugely compromised device with poor quality components from a low quality OEM, that cost them more time and money - like the first time.

Exactly what is wrong with taking a well engineered Chinese phone with high quality components and just giving it a different case? They can make the case look however they want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Why should Canonical have a better chance of getting those other vendors on board, having actually used both, Sailfish has been far more baked for the longest time. UT has caught up lots recently, but all other factors being equal, there's no way they have an edge in terms of the OS/platform. It's now pretty competitive, but there's no way it's "clearly" better, still feels clearly worse IME.

To those still dreaming that Jolla does excellent hw due to their Finnish/Nokia heritage or some such imaginary notions, sorry to burst your bubble but Jolla doesn't do great hw, they're quite mediocre at it actually. Rather then split their limited resources even more towards yet another form-factor, I would prefer to see them 'deep dive' even further into: sw/services (& how to make it more appealing to 3rd-parties), J1, TOH_ecosystem/story, & J1 successor. Hopefully they aren't releasing their own device, if it's new hw hopefully it's being done by a capable/well-regarded partner, but as I said, maybe there wasn't anyone willing or interested, sadly. If it's just a TOH then it's fine for them to be doing it, but if it's a full-blown ph/tablet, optimal approach (IMO) would be for a 3rd-party to be doing it, it would be a great learning curve for them too, as finally they'll have an ODM who can give them feedback on their sw.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-11-17 at 05:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks