Originally Posted by whayong View Post
T-Mobile sold the N900 in the U.S. so it makes sense that they can recognize it in their system. The N9 on AT&T being recognized however intrigues me. I do have an N9 and am using AT&T but I have pulled my sim from it last weekend and started re-using the N900 again.

OP, out of curiosity, how much data do you normally use?
Really? I ended up buying mine off of Amazon, if I recall. Never even saw that T-Mobile were selling them. I really wish the N9 had been sold here as well, since then we could have gotten a fair metric on how well it did versus the Lumias...

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
I'm on T-Mobile in Washington DC area with N9 and use at least 2GB a month on 3G.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I don't think T-mobile US ever sold the N900. My phone shows up as "unknown" when I log into my T-mobile account on-line. (Though in reality, customer service reps can identify it in the system as a N900. From a billing point of view, T-mobile never cared enough to flag the N900 or N9 as "smartphones running an OS they care about".)

T-Mobile never sold the N900, that's how many people are still getting away by using the $5 tmobile web internet with no bandwidth caps. T-Mobile can't recognize the type of phone the N900 is on their network for billing. All branded phones force you to upgrade your plan to the more expensive one. As above, when I sign into my billing account, it's said unknown for the past 3-4 years.

When I was without home internet a few months back, I averaged around 15GB each month for two months and never received a notice.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
I can guarantee you the N900 was sold in the US by T-Mobile, at least in the local T-Mobile store in Montclair, CA. My roommate at the time bought his @ the T-Mobile store. He did purchase it outright on April 2010 so I do not know if T-Mobile was subsidizing it at the time or not.

But don't just take my word for it.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
I just reinserted my AT&T sim in the N9 and I got an SMS as well. Definitely not a "heavy: user. My average use is about 500-800MB/month, I'd be lucky if I used more than 1GB/month so I don't think they flag accounts based on usage.

The conspiracy theorist in me however says that Nokia (MS) handed over the IMEI's of the N9's to AT&T but for what gain? They must begetting something in return. I will have to try this on the N8 as well since AT&T wasn't identifying it either.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
Originally Posted by whayong View Post
I just reinserted my AT&T sim in the N9 and I got an SMS as well. Definitely not a "heavy: user. My average use is about 500-800MB/month, I'd be lucky if I used more than 1GB/month so I don't think they flag accounts based on usage.

The conspiracy theorist in me however says that Nokia (MS) handed over the IMEI's of the N9's to AT&T but for what gain? They must begetting something in return. I will have to try this on the N8 as well since AT&T wasn't identifying it either.
my N9 isnt showing up on AT&T, they still have me listed as using my old Nokia 8801... LOL

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
Good thats not how it works in Finland.

My monthly data usage is 20GB+ with N9 and hotspot.

I pay 2e month for it. Got 5e discount trought.
Which operator is that? I pay saunalahti 10 euros for the unlimited plan

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
Which operator is that? I pay saunalahti 10 euros for the unlimited plan
TeleFinland with some phonecalls and they made offer that I could not bypass. I cant remember why, I got it like 5 month ago.
Its only 1Mb connection but why would I need more when Youtube plays well with 3sec wait.
Most of my data goes to streaming playlists from Youtube.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
TeleFinland with some phonecalls and they made offer that I could not bypass. I cant remember why, I got it like 5 month ago.
Its only 1Mb connection but why would I need more when Youtube plays well with 3sec wait.
Most of my data goes to streaming playlists from Youtube.
That's why! They tricked me into getting the max :P

Thanks mate

And good luck to the guys in the states