Hallo,

i need some help for recovering the MyDocs partition, because i accidentally cancelled this partition.
I guess that all my files are lost, but now i can not save anything on my N9 or can not even use the camera because the camera doesn't find the place where to save the pictures. When trying to start the camera it says: "Camera can not be used bedause the device is attached to a computer".

A sfdisk shows me:
Code:
~ # /sbin/sfdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 485120 cylinders, 4 heads, 16 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 32768 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1         16  288511  288496    9231872    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2     288512  419583  131072    4194304    0  Empty
/dev/mmcblk0p3     419584  485119   65536    2097152   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty

Disk /dev/dm-0: 0 cylinders, 0 heads, 0 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
 /dev/dm-0: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found
Can someone please help me to get access to MyDocs agein?

Thanks!

Best
egc

Last edited by egc; 2014-10-31 at 18:00.

Apparently a partition is there. What did you do exactly?

The Following User Says Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
If you had plugged the N9 to a Windows PC and not done a safety removal this can happen so just plug it back in and once it's detected on your PC, do a safety removal of device.

If the above was/is not the case, you could do a manual mount as prescribed in /etc/fstab for /dev/mmcblk0p1

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hedayat View Post
Apparently a partition is there. What did you do exactly?
Hi,
i had attached the N9 on the computer and wanted to repatition an external hard disc, but then i accidentally repartitioned the N9 partition.
The program i used is gparted. I'm not sure anymore, but i think i repartitioned it to ext4 and now put it back on fat32, but it doesn't recognize the partition anymore
Somehow the N9 doesn't seem to like the partition table that geparted saved on N9 ...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
If you had plugged the N9 to a Windows PC and not done a safety removal this can happen so just plug it back in and once it's detected on your PC, do a safety removal of device.
If the above was/is not the case, you could do a manual mount as prescribed in /etc/fstab for /dev/mmcblk0p1
Hallo,
i work on Linux and i did, unfortunately, more than only an incorrect unplug of the device (see above) ...
I will try tomorrow the mount like in fstab, thanks for the hint!

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
best solution is reflash with --no-preserve option to restore factory partitions layout

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
best solution is reflash with --no-preserve option to restore factory partitions layout
What does that mean? I guess it means i loose all my installed programs (some of them i bought), calendars, settings, contacts, ecc. A mountain of work if i need reinstall it all (i actually have other things to do ...). Ny N9 is almost my office ...
Like now it looks like i've lost "only" my pictures, videos and documents. So it would be great if i would be able, with your help, to just hang in again the lost MyDocs partition.

You see i would like to avoid reflashing, if any possible ... *PRAY*

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Well, did you tried to attach phone in mass storage and just format in in fat32?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Doesn't the N9 have the option to format MyDocs on its own? Like the tap-and-hold in the stock file manager on the N900 that brings up the context menu with "Format" as one of the options. Sorry I can't check it myself as my N9 is currently, err, indisposed..

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Err, FileManager - N9 - LongTap
Which file manager?

But to the OP:
it is possible to recover from that on device. But possibly you need opensh or be in open mode.
devel-su
develsh
/sbin/sfdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0
will show you partition layout.
You need 'c' (W95 Fat32) for first partition /dev/mmcblk0p1. Change that with sfdisk. And then recreate file system with mkfs.vfat.
/sbin/mkfs.vfat -n MyDocs /dev/mmcblk0p1

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: