Yeah, maybe I should have mentioned, I'm not using Gmail.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Huh? No it doesn't! "Unable to automatically send to GMail SMTP server" has nothing to do with a blinking LED (or any other notifications).
My bad, but I obviously read:

No e-mail notifications.
...as it was not intended. I'm unable to test, but I suspect #3542 may be wider than GMail.

Looking in alarmd for anything to do with an LED-only problem ain't gonna do much good. How are you definining "notification", then?

* Any automatic sync - tells me I have new email without manually clicking the 'refresh' button.
* The flashing mail icon at the bottom left.
* The flashing mail icon at the bottom left and the flashing LED along with it.

Cheers,

Andrew

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
How are you definining "notification", then?

* Any automatic sync - tells me I have new email without manually clicking the 'refresh' button.
* The flashing mail icon at the bottom left.
* The flashing mail icon at the bottom left and the flashing LED along with it.
Come to mention, all three of those.
I kept modest running, just to see if it would auto-update as expected, but it just sat there. I had to refresh myself.

Even just tapping on the refresh icon at bottom right did nothing. I had to actually select the INBOX folder before it told me I had a new message. Each subsequent folder that I select (drafts, junk, queue, trash) it quickly says "Retrieving" at the bottom right. Is that proper behavior for IMAP?

An altogether different problem than I expected maybe?
Perhaps it's not a problem with the notifications, but Modest's auto-update function. This still seems odd, as right now my tablet can be considered "out-of-the-box"

pondering.......

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
My problem is just the blinking LED. I get the flashing mail icon at the bottom left, but no LED. So we have different problems

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I get the flashing mail icon at the bottom left, but no LED.
Well, I often get the new mail chime and blinking LED, but no flashing mail icon at the bottom left. Perhaps if we trade tablets with the correct frequency, we'll get the problems to balance each other out.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
..or maybe rub the tablets together to get them to exchange DNA. I hear bacteria do this.

My problem is just the blinking LED. I get the flashing mail icon at the bottom left, but no LED. So we have different problems
Interesting. Do you get the LED blinky with other incoming chats or voice calls? Those work fine for me.

I wonder if yours is a simple gconf setting as mentioned earlier. I've dealt with gconf a little, but am by no means an authority.

the only gconf key I can think of is
/system/osso/dsm/leds/PatternCommunicationEmail
This AFAIK is the setting from Control Panel > Display > LEDs > Email Message Received checkbox.

gconf-editor definitely makes it easier to look through all that stuff.

I lost the blinking light sometime after Diablo. Chinook Modest still makes the LED blink (when I go back to my Chinook partition), but not Diablo Modest.

Here's what my /system/osso/dsm/leds/ folder looks like in Configuration Editor:

PatternBatteryCharging......[ ]
PatternBatteryFull.............[ ]
PatternCommonNotification.[*]
PatternCommunicationCall...[*]
PatternCommunicationChat.[*]
PatternCommunicationEmail.[*]
PatternDeviceOn...............[ ]

I'm pretty sure I still get the blinky-blink when I get a chat... Let me test... No, I don't! I get the noise, and the flashing notifier... but no LED. So it isn't a Modest problem, it is a Diablo problem...

Any other ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Odd...

I have all the LED notifications enabled, and I just tested again with a chat to make sure it works. It does. Sound, flashing icon, and flashing LED.

It's beginning to look like we might have two different problems. Mine being more related to Modest's auto-update, yours being confined to the LED itself.

[puts on second detective hat]

Just ran across Bug #3689, which seems to be what I am experiencing.

Tags
mail modest