Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Hello,

Here is a very quick and very dirty hack to use proximity sensor to show dashboard (task switcher or whatever it is called ).

Run, place your finger over proximity sensor (close to front camera) for a short while and your dashboard should appear.

mpd

mpd.c

compile with
Code:
gcc mpd.c -lX11 -lXtst -o mpd
see before you buy

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

Last edited by hopbeat; 2009-12-02 at 21:26.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Ok, it works with screen turning off, nothing fancy, when you finish the call you will just see the dashboard, which I think is acceptable for such a hack.

If I have a minute, I will put it to extras (is it worth it?)

Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Bored? Follow me

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
I think that this will make some people happy

Proximity dashboard can be now used to launch phone application.

Touch the proximity sensor, a dashboard will appear. Touch it a bit longer, the phone application will be started. If you keep the sensor touched for about 4 seconds it will turn dashboard/phone launching off and on.

I have also added support for double-tap for the phone application, you need to start it with:

Code:
./mpd dt
but, It may be a bit tricky to use it (proximity sensor is not really the best for double-tapping, as you need to take your finger far away from it to register the pause).

I will put to extras on weekend. Compile with:

Code:
gcc mpd.c -lX11 -lXtst `pkg-config --cflags glib-2.0, liblocation --libs glib-2.0, liblocation` -o mpd

mpd

mpd.c

Użyteczne linki:

Bored? Follow me

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
Here is a very quick and very dirty hack to use proximity sensor to show dashboard (task switcher or whatever it is called ).
Whao - that's brilliant. I was getting more and more annoyed with the lack of a hardware key to launch exposé (or dashboard or task switcher or whatever). Having to always exit full screen mode or slide out the keyboard just to activate exposé is a real pain.

I was thinking of using the Camera button as a shortcut but that's even better. The camera button would have been a bit tricky to get to. Well done.

@hopbeat,

I'm no coder. This is the kind of genius stuff, small apps that I was hoping would develop for the N900. You should definitely put in extras, and yes it is worth it. Furthermore, I wish I could not only subscribe to threads but also to posts of individuals as you seem to be posting such great stuff. I love it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Dunno if it's possible, but wouldn't it better to launch applications list on touch, instead of dashboard, since dashboard can be easily exposed by tapping t-l button. And great stuff btw

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
@wazd, I think that the it is an easy access to the dashboard that is needed by many users. The main reason is browsing in full-screen mode, where you have to slide out keyboard to switch applications (or to exit full screen).
The same goes for the phone application, for some it is important to have quick and direct access to it (don't really use it by myself).

A direct access to applications list is also an idea, I will take a look how this can be done. When the app gets a bit more mature I will add configuration options.

Użyteczne linki:

Bored? Follow me

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Is it polling the sensor all the time?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
@mikkov, the sensor itself is active all the time anyway, I'm only reading from file.

Użyteczne linki:

Bored? Follow me

That's what I meant. Is the program polling all the time? If yes, it should stop when screen is blanked.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post: