I just got a new MMC card for my 770, and I'm having some trouble getting swap working on it.

When I go into the memory config panel in the Control Panel, the CPU usage instantly goes through the roof. And, it continues that way. If I just leave it sitting there, then within 30 seconds or so the whole thing is completely bogged down so as to be unresponsive. Within a few minutes, it reboots.

So, if I try to start creating the swap file then it barely gets started before it starts bogging down, and it reboots long before its finished.

Does anybody have a solution for this? I've tried it both on my new memory card, and my old one. I thought maybe if I created the .swap file on the old one, I could copy it over to the new memory card using a PC. But, the problem was no different on my old memory card. I also tried going to the prompt, spotting the resource-hog process in top and killing it, but that kills the control panel altogether.

If nobody has a solution, is there a way to manually make the swap file from the prompt? I'm a bit of a linux geek, so working from the prompt is fine (preferred?).

And, failing at all of those, is it possible someone could send me their 64 meg .swap file from their 770? Either email it to me, or upload it someone and email me the info:
djpandemonium at gmail period com

Much abliged. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Pandemonium For This Useful Post:
You could try reformatting the card. When you go into the memory control panel, it examines the card to display free/used space statistics, so if the card is corrupt it will cause problems, same with creating swap.

If this doesn't help, the card is probably bad and should be returned for replacement.

but, it does the same thing with either card, one of which is freshly formatted. A scandisk turns up nothing on either.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...3&postcount=13

I had a similar problem and had to format using a card reader, which fixed the problem.

I've now tried a couple repeated reformats using card readers on both cards, to no avail. Only on windows machines, haven't tried in linux yet.

However, using those commands you linked got me up and running. I just modified the first one to make the file be .swap and 64mb, and then the same for the second. I rebooted, and my 770 recognized it and ran with it. So, while my Memory control panel thing still seems to have a bug, I'm not worried because I can do what I need from the prompt.

I actually think the glitch may be on the internal memory, not the card, but I cannot confirm...

Thanks!!!