Active Topics

I'll respond to some of the queries.

N9 has exchange support. We use it internally a lot, so it's in stellar shape.

Qt is easy to develop on. You use QML to do the UIs, which is like turbocharged HTML. Then the additional logic you either code in c++ or python. Really easy. SDK has a one click packaging tool. Development easyness is definitely in the same ballpark as android.

Qt will live on at nokia also in other areas than just Symbian. I think officially the next billion strategy is the one we refer to. More details come later. And I won't go into those.

DLNA stack is there on the device by default, but not in use. We didn't have the time to make sure it works just perfectly, so we'll either roll the UIs out later or 3rd parties can enable it very easily. N9 doesn't have HDMI.

Package management is still debian based in N9.

Fash is supported in fennec, but not in the default browser. We wanted to keep a clear differentiation between "desktop" -alike browsing and mobile browsing. Default browser focuses entirely in one handed use and relaxed browsing, where as fennec just does it all and acts like a desktop browser (tabs and all)

Landscape home is not available as default. You will need to install a theme that pretty much just inherits the default theme and overrides one property. I'm sure that will be available on sales start.

konttoristhoughts.blogspot.com/2011/06/respect.html?showComment=1309244161165#c8807273851 680035486

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to law138 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
If Konttori said it, I'd be inclined to believe it. It's definitely great news, even if I don't agree with the overarching ideology.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I just wonder if Flash supported means Fennec can use Flash if you get the binary from somewhere or if there will be new flash on the device/with Fennec?
In the worst scenario I'd imagine we would need to copy the old flash binary from N900 (it should be compatible with at least the hardware).
Can someone ask Konttori, I don't have a blogspot account.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Fremantle is softfp and Harmattan hardfp if I'm not mistaken, so they might not be any binary compatibility. But I'm certainly not an expert.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Fremantle is softfp and Harmattan hardfp if I'm not mistaken, so they might not be any binary compatibility. But I'm certainly not an expert.
Still you are correct on that. In theory, programs not using any floats (or to be precise: not passing floats through function calls) may run on the oppsite platform. But you'd likely get other lib dependency problems as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Wow! I think I just changed my mind about getting an N9! Having a real desktop browsing option on it like I've got on the N900 suddenly makes the N9 a realistic upgrade!

(now to get a keyboard and desktop widgets....)

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
I don't give a $#IT about flash, the N9 just looks great either way. If I were to use flash, it will just be on when I'm watching youtube videos. I even try to avoid that since the N900 boils while buffering so, is it really that important to have?
No offense - but people look pathetic in that "Adobe Flash Player 10: When will the update arrive? Is it coming at all?" thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
I don't give a $#IT about flash, the N9 just looks great either way. If I were to use flash, it will just be on when I'm watching youtube videos. I even try to avoid that since the N900 boils while buffering so, is it really that important to have?
No offense - but people look pathetic in that "Adobe Flash Player 10: When will the update arrive? Is it coming at all?" thread.
Music streaming services, corporate web sites in full flash, any vid not on youtube. How can you judge what people want based on your sole use cases?
And what advantages do we get by NOT having flash player?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Music streaming services, corporate web sites in full flash, any vid not on youtube. How can you judge what people want based on your sole use cases?
And what advantages do we get by NOT having flash player?
Mind-easiness.
What advantages do you get by whining about having flash player?

Mind-easiness.
Bliss through restricted use? There's a perfect device/brand for you, but you're in the wrong forum.
What advantages do you get by whining about having flash player?
Aside from having a strictly positive correlation with actually getting flash at some point, people also get satisfaction from whining. Just today I've seen some guy whine about people whining about flash. But he should have done it in a "I neither like flash nor people that like flash" thread just to be less off-topic.

I'll stop answering after that as it's a pretty useless discussion.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:

Tags
desperation, flash dance