Active Topics

Poll: Are you getting a Pandora console?
Poll Options
Are you getting a Pandora console?

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
ArchiMark, if you get the chance to open a new topic in order to give us your impressions of the Aigo and the state of the Linux o/s you have tried, I for one would really like to read it.
I'll try to get around to that this weekend, Rebski....

In a nutshell though....

Aigo is nice device, similar design to N810 but a bit larger, but still shirt pocketable without case, sharp clear display, OK build, OS install includes most types of apps 'typical user' would want, has WiFi/BT and microSD slot for extra storage space, comes with nice case, earphones, AC adapter...having Intel Atom CPU allows one to install Linux and/or XP (some people seem very interested in that option..)

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

The Following User Says Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
FWIW, pre-ordering has gone so well (over 2000 in the first 6 hours...) that they've bumped up first batch limit from 3000 to 4000, but order cut-off is this Sunday I think....check their website....
Sorry, if this was posted before, as I've only skimmed other posts in this thread....
It was, but that's OK, as it means my second option still holds water, so good news :-)

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Here's my all time gold list:
  1. Best pocket computer ever: Psion Series 3xx.
  2. Easiest pocket computer ever: Newton MessagePad 2x00.
  3. Best keyboard on pocket computer ever: Psion Series 5xx.
  4. Sexiest pocket computer ever: Nokia N800.
(By "easiest" I mean: most user-friendly and least intrusive)
Series 5mx for me. I mourn its passing. Awesome computer.

Don't we all...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by niw_uk1964 View Post
Series 5mx for me. I mourn its passing. Awesome computer.
The 5mx would have won "best ever", except that it has an awful screen, especially compared to the magical screen of the Series 3a (it actually got worse shen Psion added backlighting to the Series 3mx).

I really don't understand how Psion let that screen pass, given their track record on product quality design. It's not as if there wasn't any better technology available at the time. OK, granted: not much better, but still...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
The 5mx would have won "best ever", except that it has an awful screen, especially compared to the magical screen of the Series 3a (it actually got worse shen Psion added backlighting to the Series 3mx).
The touchscreen the Series 5 introduced added another layer of "stuff" to the screen, and that introduced the contrast problems.

It was a lot better in the 5mx, but still - not as good as an N810 screen.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The touchscreen the Series 5 introduced added another layer of "stuff" to the screen, and that introduced the contrast problems.

It was a lot better in the 5mx, but still - not as good as an N810 screen.
Seeing as the 5 came out in '97, and the 5mx in '99, they could have put something better in there. The 5mx came out a blooming year after the Newton 2100, and that one has a magnificent grayscale screen.

And actually, the N8x0's screen ain't the best either; I've seen an Archos 605 and the screen on that puppy is formidabulistic.

I've seen an Archos 605 and the screen on that puppy is formidabulistic.
Hey look, that somehow brought everything right back on topic since that's the screen that's in the Pandora.

Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Hey look, that somehow brought everything right back on topic since that's the screen that's in the Pandora.
Noooo...

I just ordered my pandora, all my reasons for wanting one have been mentioned.

Things I wonder about:
how pocketable it is, it's about 1cm thicker than my N770 (which it will replace, the n770 will be reduced to being the living room hifi remote, and then some) and likely a bit heaver due to the big battery.

I would love to see a Maemo Mapper equivalent app, vncviewer (which will happen for sure) a good audio/video player (including ogg) and FBreader. And FF3.
Anything else (which is a big fat lot) is, to me, bonus.

Considering the 3d engine, compiz shouldn't even be out of the question... could be cool instead of FF tabs, just more sides of the cube/polygon.

I would like to see Frozen-Bubble with 2 player capabilities - the controls are there, and this would really make my wife love it. Come to think of it, I need proper password protection so she won't steal it...

One thing Pandora has that all Nokia devices (somewhat) lack and will lack more once they tack on phone functionality: openness.

Anyway, we'll see before xmas...

Tags
pandora