Active Topics

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
The iPhone has only just recently had MMS functionality added. There are a number of threads on here about (the lack of) MMS on the N900.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument or flame war, but I'm genuinely curious to know how many people have MMS on the 'must have' side of the spec comparison sheet?

For me personally, it's totally irrelevant. I think I've sent 2 MMS messages since I got my first contract handset, a Nokia 7110, and one of those was just a 'see if it actually works' test message.

So, enlighten me. Is there something that makes MMS the killer app for you, as opposed to just using your N900/iPhone/Android device to send a regular e-mail or text message?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Many carriers offer a number of MMS messages for free (say, 100 a month) on certain plans. If it's not free, it's cheap ($5 for 200 or something). This is a cheap, efficient way for people to upload photos to online services like flickr, facebook etc, (which all accept MMS) without having to buy a data plan.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
I received 2 or 3 and sent 0 MMS messages since 2002 / 2003?

So yeah, I don't care.

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
I never sent one.

Is it not a problem that you have to know that the recipient has an MMS phone?
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
I've never sent one but received quite a few.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
I actually use MMS quite a lot. Even though I'd be fine sending emails instead, I've got a few close friends who either don't have data plans on their phones or rarely have signals adequate to use a data plan (one in particular lives out on a canal boat - so an mms can appear after a few moments of being in a small signal area without having to consciously monitor the phone - whereas trying to use a data connection on a very rubbish signal can be infuriating - especially on old phones that don't actively support email).

I also find that most data plans include MMS or if they don't, they can be taken out of the numbers of SMS in the plan (here in the UK anyway), so mms is easily accessible, whereas a data plan would be added cost for very little benefit (to these people with bad signals or old phones etc). Therefore I find them very very useful to communicate with these people - and it's not always for pictures - sometimes its useful to use an mms like an awfully big sms message (or email - but receivable by those people that you'd rather not have to teach how to configure emails on a phone etc).

I'm sure there are other reasons I use it too - but I'm falling to sleep now, so hopefully you get the picture! Or not if you can't get mms ... get it? ) - oh dear, it's been a long day.

I'm not sure if that helps put its use into a more understandable scope or not, but I definitely do find it very useful - but I would also love to not find it useful. Emails would be great and I'm all set for receiving them - I just seem to know so many people that don't send them - not from mobile phones anyway! For these reasons alone, I would love to have MMS capabilities on the likes of the N900.

Sorry to go on a bit there!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ads For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Isn't there web services that you can use to recieve MMS from those friends?.. I seem to remember an account I once set up called pic2phone or pic2mail or some such.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
you use mms when you want to share photos, audio or video immediately - without waiting for the other person to check their mailbox.

you use it because with many contracts its cheaper than sending the same file as mail.

you use it because every phone can receive mms, but very few can do email (or are configured to do so).

you read existing threads in this forum to find all this instead of opening a new thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I use it very often and hope it is included in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to maven1975 For This Useful Post:
I think we should be moving forward and away from MMS.

Reasons:

1. N900 has 5meg camera
2. MMS limits 350kb per message
3. N900 requires software to compress image down to MMS size
4. Waste of resource to develop this functionality when the N900 can take advantage of the 3G & HSPDA network to upload high quality photos, link can be sent through message or social networking sites.
5. In order to see the MMS, the other person would need an MMS compatible phone
6. Not a lot of demand for MMS nowdays to be honest, users take the photos with the camera on their phone (N900) they prefer to go home and upload it on the net (Facebook, twitter etc) rather than sending an MMS to a dozen of contacts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post: