Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 530 times | Joined on Feb 2011
#1
Gemini is an ultra-thin clamshell mobile device with fully integrated tactile QWERTY keyboard, that fits in your pocket. Designed for Android, it also features a dual boot Linux option. Gemini is fully equipped with 4G, WiFi & Bluetooth enabling both data communications and mobile phone calls.








 

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 755 | Thanked: 2,336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
#2
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
Designed for Android, it also features a dual boot Linux option.
According to the indiegogo page the 2nd Linux besides Android is Debian.

Some questions:
1. Does this Debian have its own kernel or does it use the Android kernel?
2. If it has its own kernel, is it a Debian distribution kernel?
3. If it isn't, are all the modules mainlined?
4. If they aren't, where do I get the sources?
5. Which blobs are involved?

Edit:
Why does the last photo show the desktop running as root?

Last edited by sulu; 2018-01-09 at 16:02.
 

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 621 | Thanked: 1,430 times | Joined on Aug 2010
#3
Buy soon,
Availability may decrease:

Winner of @CES Innovation Award.
__________________
Three n900s: One for stable working platform,
One for development testing Chopping Onions
One for saltwater immersion power testing resurrected ! parts scavenging

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2018-01-09 at 20:17. Reason: format nudge
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,046 | Thanked: 1,082 times | Joined on Apr 2010
#4
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdesktopenv/
I would really like this desktop environment on it.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 755 | Thanked: 2,336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
#5
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdesktopenv/
I would really like this desktop environment on it.
Early versions of Xfce were heavily inspired by CDE, and since the Debian variant already uses Xfce, one could argue, that you'd be using some sort of spiritual offspring of CDE anyways.
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 264 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
#7
Still skeptical. Concerns about the kernel and whether or not it's using some abstraction layer between Android device drivers and the Linux system. If it's pure debian with a real Linux kernel, I'm buying two.
__________________
Sony Xperia X SFOS 2.1.3.7, Nokia N810
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
kinggo's Avatar
Posts: 644 | Thanked: 1,654 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
#8
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Still skeptical. Concerns about the kernel and whether or not it's using some abstraction layer between Android device drivers and the Linux system. If it's pure debian with a real Linux kernel, I'm buying two.
well, since it's MTK based I'm pretty sure that it's android kernel. That's why I wasn't interested in the first place.
 

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
peterleinchen's Avatar
Posts: 3,266 | Thanked: 6,026 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
#9
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
According to the indiegogo page the 2nd Linux besides Android is Debian.

Some questions:
1. Does this Debian have its own kernel or does it use the Android kernel?
2. If it has its own kernel, is it a Debian distribution kernel?
3. If it isn't, are all the modules mainlined?
4. If they aren't, where do I get the sources?
5. Which blobs are involved?

Edit:
Why does the last photo show the desktop running as root?
Nobody here knows the answers?
Has that non been asked on Indiegogo? Or just not yet been answered?

This device looks tempting...
__________________
SIM-Switcher, automated SIM switching with a Double (Dual) SIM adapter
--
Thank you all for voting me into the Community Council 2014-2016!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,046 | Thanked: 1,082 times | Joined on Apr 2010
#10
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Early versions of Xfce were heavily inspired by CDE, and since the Debian variant already uses Xfce, one could argue, that you'd be using some sort of spiritual offspring of CDE anyways.
XFCE is cool but I want a true 90s interface
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
gemini pda

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:40.