Active Topics

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Bavaria Germany
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
Hi,

Are any of you keeping your MeeGo Harmattan-powered Nokia N9 instead of getting a Jolla phone and why?

I want to know because I'm curious to why some of you might have taken this choice
There is no need to choose - for me.
  • Poor Hardware already have
  • Alien Dalvic only in payed Jolla Phone.
  • A Jolla is not a Nokia, like all Lumias too
  • No native Nokia/Here Offline Maps
  • No better Basic functions like mail/calendar than N9
  • To buy the phone ist more a donation to a church as a real value for money
  • ...not finished..

Because there would never be a N9 tablet Jolla tablet (with Alien Dalvic) will be more interesting as the jphone, but not enough to preorder it.
Hope I can wait with the tablet an do not have to buy Google or Microsoft tablet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeadHorseRiding For This Useful Post:
I am using both, N9 is main for daily use - calls, sms but Jolla for net browsing and keeping an eye on development, features, improvements, apps ...
I bought N9 as used phone and after some time I found out that skype integration was messing up with contacts, also wi-fi is still not stable, some minor problems.
I believe there are better pieces out there.
Also I like size of N9 and found out that it is easier to type on N9 then on Jolla, hmmm ?
I am using uniboot, did flash so for future I think will stick with N9 untill possible.
now I hope will get lynx and gt5 to get work, no success till now.
still it is 60% for N9 and 40% for Jolla in way of use.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to melmoth.sk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Kazakhstan
First, N9 design is out of comparison. Much better. Only phone I think is looking as good as N9 is Xperia Z3 Compact.

Second, it should be forbidden to put such a bad camera like Jolla phone has.

I am more and more thinking about Xperia Z3 Compact... unfortunatly.

The Following User Says Thank You to pmeuh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
Still using N9. Jolla is just too large for everyday use.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
Have both, but my daily phone is N9.

It has (for me) most intuitive way of handling, perfect size for my hands, can't live without Billboard app, heavy use of NFC (I have black and my GF cyan 16Gb version and we exchange stuff A LOT), have all essential apps for my needs, better integration of apps into system (for ie. Fahrplan can add journey to calendar, SIP integration, ...).

Jolla has also some bright sides: faster battery charge, with Android integration I now use c:geo for geocaching and battery lasts forever, have data-only SIM and thanks to better tethering (way lower battery consumption and protocol, that any device can use) I cover (almost) everything.

I also have N900 (with no broken USB [yay!], yet , but functions only as mail reader and as music player, but I keep addressbook in sync just in case I need it as phone

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sponka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I'm in the US, and would only have 2G connectivity. 2G service is being phased out in some locations-like mine. And I'd need to import a Jolla through an intermediary. I guess that last one is a tie with my N9.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
For me, the N9 has two features that Jolla/sailfish lacks, which makes it impossible to use my Jolla and are my primary reasons for diving with my unicorn N9: owncloud caldav sync and sports tracker. The rest i can live with.

i prefer in N9:
- size, hw design, screen
- events feed (esp calendar + rss feed)
- qneptunea as twitter client
- notifications and im integration
- search abilities the whole phone content

Jolla is nice because:
-much faster generally and web browsing specifically
- has the people and community behind them today
- has Android app support for many apps, and some are useful
- would probably be more to like if it had the basic must-have features for me so that i could actually use it.

Oh, and one more thing. N900 ftw!1 Keeping my other Sim in my still working n900. Emotionally, the n900 takes the price.
-

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Germany
I'm keeping N9 because of:

- better HW-design (look) as Jolla
- OLED screen
- better UI - I can't stand the graphics and font-style in Jolla - it's really horrible comparing to beatiful UI of MeeGo

Maybe SailfishOS 2 and Jolla Phone 2 will convince me... We'll see.

Best regards,

Jaracz

Nokia 5110 --> Nokia 3210 --> Nokia 8210 --> Nokia 7250i --> Nokia 6500 Slide --> Nokia N97 mini --> Nokia N9 --> BB Z30 --> Jolla C

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaracz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I am keeping my N9 because
-OLED screen (with Bilboard notifications), Jolla screen is also otherwise crap.
-Better camera
-Native offline maps and navigation

I decided to get Jolla Tablet to keep track on Sailfish progress, hopefully we get Sailfish on some decent hardware (meaning screen, camera) phones on the future. Either from Jolla or some other manufacturer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Yes, I keep using my N9.
Main reasons why (compared to Jolla):

- Harmattan has more intuitive UI with less clutter.
- N9 has better screen. (LCDs have poor contrast and power efficiency)
- Better camera.

Also I have a soft spot for anything Debian. I use debian on my desktop, laptop and server and having apt-get on my phone brings some consistency as I shuffle between them using SSH.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone, nokia n9