Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It would have to be a short bus, the way things look.

Let's also not forget that salespeople have been burned enough by Windows phones in the past to be disinterested in trying to sell them. I'm pretty sure they're a fail from the GO because of their ruined brand and negative customer experiences in the past. I sincerely doubt that Windows Phone 7 will make any difference to Nokia's drops.
That is a very good point.

All the stores I visit are largely ignorant of WP and Mango. many were quite enthusiastic about Nokia (which surprised me) but all stated that the demand was for the top Android devices (as opposed to Android in itself; this seems to be driven by aggressive marketing) iPhone and, strangely, Blackberry which is still very popular with a lot of people here in the UK (the young seem to like it for Blackberry Messaging and the older market because they use 'real' buttons)

None seemed to be aware of the N9, but most seemed to be familar with Nokia's plans to introduce Windows Phone devices...

Nokia and Microsoft will have to work hard to raise awareness with retail staff because these are the real influence in most people's buying decisions.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
That is a very good point.

All the stores I visit are largely ignorant of WP and Mango. many were quite enthusiastic about Nokia (which surprised me) but all stated that the demand was for the top Android devices (as opposed to Android in itself; this seems to be driven by aggressive marketing) iPhone and, strangely, Blackberry which is still very popular with a lot of people here in the UK (the young seem to like it for Blackberry Messaging and the older market because they use 'real' buttons)

None seemed to be aware of the N9, but most seemed to be familar with Nokia's plans to introduce Windows Phone devices...

Nokia and Microsoft will have to work hard to raise awareness with retail staff because these are the real influence in most people's buying decisions.
But will they be willing to be bitten yet again? Microsoft keeps coming back over and over again with yet another new Windows Mobile handset over the years and the clarion call is always the same, "THIS is the one! THIS TIME for SURE!" and salespeople sometimes tried to push it but the reactions have been so negative, so repeatedly in the past that it'll be very hard for them to listen to Microsoft's reps when they repeat the same "THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT!" pitch, especially when the experience is admittedly more crippled than the competition.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
It is too late, because now they only have the N9 option. If this goes bad (too geeky usability, too poor ecosystem) they would probably not get another opportunity.

Meego arriving one year early would have given Nokia some capacity to react. Now, if they base EVERYTHING on the N9, it is suicidal. Of course it could go ok, but you just can't take the risk.

So now they've bet for Windows. The N9 is very good, but arrives too late for them. Or you can guarantee that this will be a total hit and will save Nokia?? Do you remember those awesome Palm Pre mobiles?? Nokia just couldn't take the risk at 2011.

* Why the n950 also looks gorgeous???
Again all is about MARKETING. Even Android/IOS lacked apps from begining.

And many dished Android when it came.

Persolly I think Elop should just SHUT UP right away! Right now its only HIM who actually is making N9 to not success!

Originally Posted by volt View Post
I think the anti-android thinking at camp Nokia ment that Alien Dalvik was a no go. But that's just going to be speculation since Alien Dalvik didn't arrive in time to have any influence.
Android would hurt Nokia as company exacly the same way as WPx.

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Why are you expecting Mango to be such as improvement when M$ have got it wrong so many times before with there mobile os? Is Maps so good that it would make an user buy a WP7 handset over google maps on an Android phone?

If users like me have always had a Nokia handset butt wouldn't consider a WP7 Nokia phone why are Android etc users can to buy one?
Yes it is OviMaps is far better than AndroidMaps atleast in european countrys. (I dont know about US)

I guess this is the one of the reasons Microsoft big winner on this!

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Speculations of course, but as far as I can see, Elop has only said no more MeeGo, be it "native" MeeGo or some politically correct branded Maemo (MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan). He has also stated that the UI on the N9, Swipe, will be seen on future devices. Then, the "next billion" is S40 with web-apps.

So the question is, what kind of devices will we see Swipe on in the future? It is highly unlikely that it will be S40 or WP. This leaves only Symbian and Maemo. IMO we will see it on both. The focus right now is on WP, but WP is high end, Nokia need mid and low end smartphones as well.
WP8 == Swipe history has shown: Microsoft cut&paste company

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It would have to be a short bus, the way things look.

Let's also not forget that salespeople have been burned enough by Windows phones in the past to be disinterested in trying to sell them. I'm pretty sure they're a fail from the GO because of their ruined brand and negative customer experiences in the past. I sincerely doubt that Windows Phone 7 will make any difference to Nokia's drops.
Wrong most salespeople can be bought with money....

If MicroNokia gives more profit for every sold WPsuck phone than Iphone/Android they make sure the crap succes.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Wrong most salespeople can be bought with money....

If MicroNokia gives more profit for every sold WPsuck phone than Iphone/Android they make sure the crap succes.
They can, in fact, be bought with money. Historically, they were NOT making money with Windows mobile phones despite repeated assurances that they would, despite repeated assurances that THIS time it's better, and despite repeatedly throwing money at it, the customers avoided it or returned it often enough to burn salespeople who often ended up losing money in the whole process.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
[...]

Consider as well that next year smartphone sales will probably exceed dumbphones - Nokias home ground. All those existing Nokia dumbphone users looking for their first smartphone; something simple to use, but effective, capable and affordable.
smart phone sales may exceed dumb phone sales in countries where 3G or even 4G is longer the more the norm; in 2nd & 3rd world countries 3G isn't even a topic yet, thus smart phone won't sell there (or only to a minute minority which has access to Wi-Fi hotspots in hotels or airports or in their palaces...)
for the next billion (200'000'000 per year over the next five years?) dumb phones will remain the norm.

[...]
That is why WP could be a good bet for Nokia. It may not be as technically capable as Symbian, but it won't have to be. It will ofer enough functionality for the masses and will be as easy and engaging to use as iOS at a fraction of the price - Nokia will see to that.
[...]
m$ isn't renown for carrying about "accessible".
the accessible versions of LostDOS se7en are only available in very few markets and wp doesn't seem to be worth the effort of making several versions, does it?
and if it were, it would only be for the 2nd or 3rd world...
m$ devices will be expensive (&, indeed, relatively user unfriendly and impractical (phone function disabled when battery < 15% without any notification )
companies may be able to impose this to their employees (and have already done it in the past ) but any consumer in his right mind will avoid it like the pest.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
WP8 == Swipe history has shown: Microsoft cut&paste company
Maybe, but not likely. Swipe is very simple and probably works well on low spec HW. Perfect for Symbian which already has good multitasking. Still, the obvious thing to do is to make Maemo devices for mid end as well. I refuse to believe that the N9 is the last Linux based phone. The way the N9 is pushed into the market (the places it is sold) and WP phones being produced by OEM (for other markets than the N9), something is definitely going on.

Swipe is being marketed just as much as the N9. Swipe even has it's own web site with the N9 as the "first" Swipe phone.

Last edited by ericsson; 2011-07-06 at 23:45.

Tags
balmer was here, e6 rox, elop rox, elop snopp, elop's fool, the elop flop