Hi, I am a complete novice, bought a Nokia N 810 and wanted to install some language dictionaries from stardict. I was reading through all the posts here, but unfortunately ist was not easy enough for me to understand. What I did is: I created a folder called stardict with a subfolder named "dic". There I put all the language dictionary files in. Their names are for example: \stardict-freedict-eng-fra-2.4.2.tar.bz2 and so on. By the way I have all of that on a 8 Gb removable memory card, also the stardict program,
then on the stardict webpage it says, to install these dictionaries do this:
"tar -xjvf a.tar.bz2 mv a /usr/share/stardict/dic". This I typed into X-Terminal, don't know if that was the right thing to do. I never did anything with my windows registry. Should I have selected anything after typing? Anyway, when I open Satdict, it says, there are no dictionaries.
Please do help. Just can't figure it out by myself.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Originally Posted by neugier View Post
to install these dictionaries do this:
"tar -xjvf a.tar.bz2 mv a /usr/share/stardict/dic". This I typed into X-Terminal, don't know if that was the right thing to do. I never did anything with my windows registry. Should I have selected anything after typing?
Since you mentioned "windows registry", are you using some sort of card reader with your MicroSDHC card to mount the card in M$-Windows? Or did you download the *.tar.bz2 files directly to your N810?

Assuming the first case (you have the MicroSDHC card mounted in Windows), I think you created a directory "stardict" and then a subdirectory "dic", correct? Then you have the stardict-freedict-eng-fra-2.4.2.tar.bz2 file in the \stardict\dic directory, correct? Now you have to "unzip" that file. You need a 3rd party program to decompress *.tar.bz2 files. One that is free and decent is 7-zip, but there are many others out there.

You need to uncompress the *.tar.bz2 files to the memory card in the "\stardict\dic" directory. Besure to keep the directory structure within the *.tar.bz2 files. So you should have files like the following (assuming your mem card is mounted as the F: drive):

Code:
F:\startdict\dic\stardict-freedict-eng-fra-2.4.2\dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra.dict.dz
F:\startdict\dic\stardict-freedict-eng-fra-2.4.2\dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra.idx
F:\startdict\dic\stardict-freedict-eng-fra-2.4.2\dictd_www.freedict.de_eng-fra.ifo
Now unmount your F: drive mem card from Windows and put it back into your N810. Restart stardict, and you should be able to see your dictionaries when you go to the "Manage Dict" menu.

If you are doing everything on the N810 instead, you can use a previous post for instructions on uncompressing the files. (You would execute the last line starting with the "bunzip2" command.) Or you can install "Gnu Tar" and use the instructions suggested on the StarDict site.

Hope that helps.

I did save the files to a folder in my laptop, windows vista, then I send them individually to the removable memory card in the N810. The files were not compressed, so I did not need to unzip them.
Sorry for my ignorance, the code you wrote, where do I write it in.
Thanks for your help.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Originally Posted by neugier View Post
I did save the files to a folder in my laptop, windows vista, then I send them individually to the removable memory card in the N810. The files were not compressed, so I did not need to unzip them.
Sorry for my ignorance, the code you wrote, where do I write it in.
Thanks for your help.
Files ending in .tar.bz2 are compressed. You must first UNcompress them AND extract the files inside. Think of .tar.bz2 as a .zip or .rar file. The .bz2 extension means the file was compressed using the bzip2 algorithm. The .tar extension means that (possibly) a bunch of files and/or directories have been bundled into a single file using the tar program.

Soooo, use your favorite compression program (I like WinRAR, but it's not free, so try 7-zip) to uncompress/extract the files from the *.tar.bz2 file. THEN copy those files to the F:\stardict\dict\ directory. You will end up with a subdirectory which is the same as the name of the file you downloaded. In that subdirectory will be several files, which I listed in the "code" section in my previous post.

Originally Posted by terrencegf View Post
Files ending in .tar.bz2 are compressed. You must first UNcompress them AND extract the files inside. Think of .tar.bz2 as a .zip or .rar file. The .bz2 extension means the file was compressed using the bzip2 algorithm. The .tar extension means that (possibly) a bunch of files and/or directories have been bundled into a single file using the tar program.

Soooo, use your favorite compression program (I like WinRAR, but it's not free, so try 7-zip) to uncompress/extract the files from the *.tar.bz2 file. THEN copy those files to the F:\stardict\dict\ directory. You will end up with a subdirectory which is the same as the name of the file you downloaded. In that subdirectory will be several files, which I listed in the "code" section in my previous post.
Terrencegf, you are a genius, it worked like a charm, installed 9 dictionaries. When one knows what one is doing, it is easy. Thanks so much for your help and your patience.
I was used to zip files, did not know, that tar.bz2 files are compressed. Can't tell you how happy I am.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
I will answer myself, however I canīt listen the sound yet, why?

You must download WyabdcRealPeopleTTS, uncompress and store the files in:

/media/mmc1/WyabdcRealPeopleTTS
/media/mmc2/WyabdcRealPeopleTTS
/usr/share/WyabdcRealPeopleTTS

The compressed file could be like that.
WyabdcRealPeopleTTS.tar.bz2

after uncompress you
you will have a lot of .mp3 stored like in the following structure
../WyabdcRealPeopleTTS/En/a
../WyabdcRealPeopleTTS/En/z

I tried to execute the script for sound from terminal:

> stardict-wav-play.sh /media/mmc1/WyabdcRealPeopleTTS/En/a/abandon.mp3

And it gave me the following info:

method return sender=:1.9 -> dest=:1.159

however I couldnīt listen any sound

>>>>>

is possible to use sound modules?

I mean to listen pronunciation for words, with espeak or any other method, I have dictionaries and translators with this feature in my smartphone and its a pity I can't use this feature in my powerful Maemo

Last edited by daperezg; 2010-12-27 at 00:06. Reason: answer myself

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
I still checking possible solutions to my problem with Stardict, sound and WyabdcRealPeopleTTS mp3 files but my new questions are about alternatives to stardict.

I can see Fremantle have

-MStarDict with sound support with espeak
-Qstardict (QT4)

Do you think Qstardict could works in a N800/N810 with the QT4 available for OS2008?

On the other hand, any idea for play sound in Stardict using a script to execute espeak instead of stardict-wav-play.sh and WyabdcRealPeopleTTS sounds?

Last edited by daperezg; 2010-12-27 at 22:20.