Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
So this post is dedicated to explain to them the differences between the two and how much better the n900 and maemo 5 compared to the current apple Iphone and its closed wall practices.

Nokia N900 Vs Iphone 3GS

1. 3.5 inch touch-sensitive Vs 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen
widescreen display Multi-Touch diplay
Resistive screen Capacitative Screen

Resistive screen has the advantage of point accuracy. This is good for hand writing because unlike apple, nokia is a all over the world so it has to cater to differnt popluations and some people espcially the asians prefer hand writing recognition for their myriad languages. But capacitative has the advantage of being more responsive. Although it has its side effects, being that it cannot be used with anything except your bare finger. This is really a pain especially for the North east states of the Us and Northern Europe in the cold climates. You cant navigate well with gloves. Another advantage of capacitative is that multi-touch so it is very useful in games and other actions like pinching etc. As far as i know this is the only advantage of the iphone compared to the n900 and of course the other being the app store. But both of these can be expected in the near future with more developers flocking to maemo due to its open nature.

2. 800 × 480 pixel resolution @ 225 ppi Vs 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi

This is one area where the n900 totally burns the iphone. Basically resolution means the number of lines you can see on the screen. For example most of the laptops are about 1280 x 800. Since it is very near to that resolution on the n900 you can view web pages just like on your desktop without much zooming and panning. You just open the web page and read no need to keep on fiddling with the text to read which makes web browsing very comfortable.

3. TV out (PAL/NTSC) with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable Vs None

This is included within the sales package. What you can do with is that you can connect your phone to the tv using those 3(yellow, white and red connectors). Imagine playing games with your accelerometer on the big screen. It is fun. And of course you can directly play the recorded videos, images on the big screen. Here again the higher resolution helps by displaying the video on a bigger size and better clarity on the tv.

4. Micro-USB connector, High-Speed USB 2.0 Vs Charging via USB to computer system
or power adapter

This is something again new from nokia. With this connector you can both charge the phone and also transfer data between your computer and phone. Even though the iphone can charge via the usb with a computer, it cannot transfer date other then with itunes. The problem with this is that you cannot transfer data from any other computer other than yours. Another thing is that nokia is going with industry standard connector which means you can connect any other device which uses a similar connector. Whereas the iphone connector can only connect with the iphone and it is not industry standard. In fact the most surprising thing is that my friend tried to charge his ipod touch with the iphone 3G charger and guess what it said "Incompatible charger" even after it fit the slot perfectly. Typical apple... make money wherever possible!

5.Bluetooth v2.1 including support Vs Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
for stereo headsets

This feature is the same on both the phones. But with n900 you can send any file via the bluetooth. The iphone even though it has the hardware, deliberately clamps down that feature. The n900 supports tethering, meaning that you can use its data connection to connect to another device like a laptop. I heard even apple allows that these days... but also have heard that it is not possible on AT&T. So basically you cant do it on the iphone whereas you can do anything you want on the n910.

6. Integrated FM transmitter Vs None

An Fm transmitter transmits the audio/video out from the device into radio frequency. So you can tune your car radio into that frequency and listen to the media on the phone wirelessly. Basically this removes the additional audio jack going out of the device into the tape slot of the car stereo. This is a great advantage for car owners. Since i do not have a tape player in my car i use a stand alone fm transmitter. The biggest problem i have with the stand alone transmitter is that it takes the charging port in my car and so i cannot charge my phone. Now no more wires and i can use the charging port to charge my phone while the fm transmitter does its thing.Although it is not listed there i assume there is also fm receiver also. You can listen to the local radio stations and also the fm reciever could be use for traffic updates to your maps application.

7. Up to 1GB of application memory Vs 256 mb only
(256 MB RAM, 768 MB virtual memory)

The main advantage is that you could use your swap memory to open many applications simultaneously. Wheras in the iphone you have to have only one application at one time except for the phone and audio applications. This is just like your desktop. You can open any no. of applications and just switch between them. For example on the iphone if you are instant messaging some one and you want to just check something on the browser, the moment you press the browser window you are logged out of the chat. On the n900 everything is open and you are still logged in and you get a notification when you get an Im. You just need to switch widows and select what you want to do.

8. 32 GB internal storage Vs 16GB or 32GB flash drive
Up to 16 GB of additional storage None
with an external microSD card

This is again a big win for the n900. The micro sd helps to both expand the memory and also another cool feature is that you can clone your Os into the sd card. So you can boot from various images on the card or the flash memory. Just like multi-booting on your desktop. There are other alternative os like mer, nitdroid, debian etc. you can set up your n900 to boot to other os on the sd card. Also Sd card can be used to transfer movies, songs etc from another source when you dont have your connectivity cable. Another cool feature is to directly use the micro sd to shoot pictures and videos with a digicam and just insert it directly into the n900. Basically you are negating going back to your house and connecting to your pc and then transferring to your device which is a real comfort.

9. Full QWERTY tactile keyboard Vs Only on-screen keyboard.
Full QWERTY onscreen keyboard

This is really one of the best features of the n900 over the iphone. The best thing about the keyboard is that it saves screen real estate. Already the screen is tiny and imagine half of it covered with a keyboard. Once you use the keypad and its comfort you will understand the importance of it. Other important functions of the keyboard are the hardware keys can be configured in various games unlike the iphone where all the games have to be on screen controlled. The problem with screen controlled games are that there is no tactile feedback and also you are blocking your view with your fingers. Of course the keypad is very reliable in typing and the keys can be used to access the special characters very easily. This is a very big win for the n900.

10. Quad-band GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 Vs UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) WCDMA 900/1700/2100 MHz GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

There only huge difference here is that the n900 has 3G bands for t-mobile USA whereas the iphone has only bands for At&T 3G. So it is good news for t-mobile and bad news for AT&t users because they will not have 3G but only edge. Nokia most probably will release another version considering that nokia releases additional versions a little later.

11. Integrated hands-free stereo speakers Vs Mono speaker

Stereo speakers means that there are 2 speakers on both sides of the device giving a more comprehensive sound. Since there are 2 speakers it is great for listening to songs in a group and also podcasts and videos just like you would listen to stereo speakers on your tv or laptop. The sound also should be very loud and more importantly more clear.

12. Internet calling Vs None

This means voip calls can be made using the n900. For example skype, gtalk etc. This can considerably reduce the money spent on international calling. Even the iphone has gtalk and skype but the major problem is with multi tasking. If you are on a skype call you cannot use the phone for anything else. Infact if you are waiting for a skype/gtalk call you have to keep the app open and not try to open any other part of the phone. On the n900 you can just keep them open while you do your work and you will be notified of a call or im when you get it.Also there is a webcam for video calls. I could make phone to phone video calling if the other person is on gtalk on another n900. Full video calling will be soon coming.

13. Maemo browser powered by Mozilla technology Vs Safari without flash.
Adobe Flash™ 9.4 support

This browser renders pages just like your desktop. You can directly go to the youtube page and watch videos and respond to comments just like you do on the desktop. No need for additional clients. This is specially useful for many of the flash video sites. You are no longer cramped by only youtube with a client... you get everything. Also another advantage with flash 9.4 is that there are millions of flash games which are browser based. you can take advantage of all those games which are free and load directly on the browser. Then there is java script which allows to see the desktop version of all google services like gmail, calender etc. No need for any mobile versions.

14. Pre-loaded Ovi Maps application Vs None

With Ovi maps the maps are pre-loaded and so you dont need to have an active connection to use the gps for routing. Also ovi maps are heavily integrated with various parts of the os. This is specially useful for location aware applications. Ovi maps also includes local weather and the weather is updated using the gps location to show the current weather in your current location.

15. 5 megapixel camera (2584 × 1938 pixels) Vs # 3 megapixels Autofocus
CMOS sensor, Carl Zeiss optics, Tessar lens
3 × digital zoom
Dual LED flash

Here again there is really no comparison. The dual led helps to capture good clarity photos even in low light conditions. I dont know if there is zoom on the iphone but the n900 has 3x digital zoom. Then there is photo tagging which is useful for tagging pictures.

16. Video recording at up to 848 × 480 pixels Vs VGA(640x480) up to 30 fps with audio
(WVGA) and up to 25fps

The n900 records at a higher resolution although the fps is low.

17. Video playback file formats: Vs Cannot play wmv, .avi formats.
.mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp;
codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263

Since maemo is open source you could install mplayer for free and play additional formats like divx, flv and other formats. Iphone can play only a few apple supported formats. This is a big deal because most of the videos can be downloaded from the internet directly and played without any conversion. Unfortunately for the iphone you cannot save the videos directly. You need to save them using your pc then convert them and transfer them for later viewing. This is a PITA!

18. Background pictures Vs None.

Since the n900 has a panoromic desktops with support upto 4 active desktops, you could have different cool backgroud wallpapers for each desktop. Since the app icons are always present on the iphone there is really no use of the desktop and you can only have one desktop wall paper.

19. Widgets on your desktops Vs None

Widgets are really good for real time updates. You can have as many widgets as you want on mutliple desktops. you can have gtalk widget with real time online status. Rss widget with real time updates, internet radio widget, weather widget etc. Widget help you check the latest updates without opening the application. for example if you need to check what are your upcoming applications.... on the iphone you have to go into the calender application and then check it... wheras on the n900 you just have a glance at your desktop and you see your calender. This is very useful.

20. Intelligent contact shortcuts Vs None

Here again you can directly place a contact on one of your desktops and with one single click you can call or email the contact. Wheras in the iphone you have to go to contacts ans locate the contact and then initaite the call. Same goes for sending an email or sms or internet call.

21. PDF reader Vs Safari handles pdf

The inbuilt pdf reader is really useful for documents. In the iphone safari handles pdf but again it is not as good as the pdf reader on the n900.

22. Sketch Application Vs None

This is again one of the advantages of the resistive touch screen. This is one of the favourite feature for the kids. just open the sketch program and they will keep quiet. Similarly there are options for games like numpty physics which take advantage of the sketching with the stylus.

23. Removable Battery Vs Non removable

This is a huge advantage especially considering that it has a very power hungry processor. Changing the battery just takes seconds and within minutes you can have a fully charged mobile. Great during traveling.

24. Kick stand.

The kick stand can be used to watch videos especially on the plane. It is a minor addition but is huge in usability.

25. Open source operating system.

Off all the features the apple iphone will never be able to beat this one. Most of the applications are free to download and use. Anyone can work on anything and submit their application. There are no restrictions of any kind.

Last edited by sachin007; 2009-08-28 at 08:03.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
One problem...

3. TV out (PAL/NTSC) with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable Vs None
Not correct. iPhone 3G/3GS support TV Out via part number MB129LL and MB128LL at 480p - read here...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
I give it a C for formatting, A+ for content

Was too tired by the end of the post to change the formatting....

Sorry

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
One problem...

Not correct. iPhone 3G/3GS support TV Out via part number MB129LL and MB128LL at 480p - read here...
So is this included in the box?

I dont have an iphone... so i may be wrong on a number of factors...

Iphone users please help me if there are any changes to be made.

Thanks

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
9 on effort
1 on objectivity

If you're trying to change anyone's view, you shouldn't call them 'blind'.. you'll lose them on the first sentence

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Was too tired by the end of the post to change the formatting....

Sorry
No need to be sorry.

a C isn't bad.... it's just average

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
9 on effort
1 on objectivity

If you're trying to change anyone's view, you shouldn't call them 'blind'.. you'll lose them on the first sentence
Well blind in the sense that they dont care about anything else because they dont have the interest or time to find out about alternatives. I understand that was a wrong term to use...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Well I was just wondering what this piece is for

If it's to stoke more fire for iPhone vs FOSS, then I think we need new blood to take up the torch for that.. if you're hoping to enlighten anyone who hasn't 'seen your light', then it's obviously the wrong approach.. if it's just what your shrink ordered (write up your angst and share it), then it's just what the doctor ordered

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Well I was just wondering what this piece is for

If it's to stoke more fire for iPhone vs FOSS, then I think we need new blood to take up the torch for that.. if you're hoping to enlighten anyone who hasn't 'seen your light', then it's obviously the wrong approach.. if it's just what your shrink ordered (write up your angst and share it), then it's just what the doctor ordered
...I was about to reply to this when I got wicked deja vu....... are we sure this hasn't happened before?

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war