Poll: Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?
Poll Options
Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Maybe - I'm in the UK, and it sounds like you might be in Canada. I believe there may be some issues about warranty support as I don't think N800s are officialy available in Canada (from Nokia) and you may therefore have to send it to a US repair centre, who then won't ship it back to a Canada address, or something like that.

There are a few other Canadian owners lurking here, hopefully they can offer more useful advice.

Actually I'm in the US, but it turns out there are no Nokia Authorized Service Centers in San Antonio, TX. Evidently a city of a million people isn't big enough...

After reading their warranty info (I pay for postage both ways, they'll charge a flat $15 for looking at it, and if they determine it is my fault they'll then tell me what the charge would be), I'm thinking it isn't worth turning it in. Why? Because this thread and some other forums I've read lead me to believe that this is a problem with the N800 in general, not just unlucky me.

That said, if I could figure out how to launch the web browser without using the touchscreen, I'd probably still keep the unit. Can anyone figure out a way to do that using the built in controls? Otherwise it's probably time to turn to eBay and see what I can get for it as a "for parts" unit.

I'm just glad I found this out BEFORE I recommended this to a hospital consortium that I was doing research on touch screen data access solutions for. Being out $400 is bad enough. Getting sued for making a bad choice would be worse

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It's not a problem affecting everyone, but yes some of us do have the problem and to a lesser extent than yourself, most of us seem to have limited pressure sensitivity in a narrow area covering the vertical scroll bar - the touchscreen does work, we just need to press harder in that particular area.

Your case is different as it sounds like a total failure of the touchscreen and I've not seen that problem reported elsewhere. I would suggest you get it repaired by Nokia - it's an in-warranty repair, so Nokia shouldn't charge you a penny to fix it.

My unit has no screen issues so far (knock on wood). My unit is Made in Finland.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by EwanG View Post
Actually I'm in the US, but it turns out there are no Nokia Authorized Service Centers in San Antonio, TX. Evidently a city of a million people isn't big enough...

After reading their warranty info (I pay for postage both ways, they'll charge a flat $15 for looking at it, and if they determine it is my fault they'll then tell me what the charge would be), I'm thinking it isn't worth turning it in. Why? Because this thread and some other forums I've read lead me to believe that this is a problem with the N800 in general, not just unlucky me.

That said, if I could figure out how to launch the web browser without using the touchscreen, I'd probably still keep the unit. Can anyone figure out a way to do that using the built in controls? Otherwise it's probably time to turn to eBay and see what I can get for it as a "for parts" unit.

I'm just glad I found this out BEFORE I recommended this to a hospital consortium that I was doing research on touch screen data access solutions for. Being out $400 is bad enough. Getting sued for making a bad choice would be worse
Sorry for your experience, but I can guarantee you what you report is NOT a general problem. In fact, it has occurred in a very small number of units, not nearly enough to be statistically significant. What you're seeing here that makes it LOOK pervasive is the concentration of early adopters who are reporting similar problems. Assuming the seemingly disporportionate number of problems in this thread represents the whole is a common mistake but a mistake nonetheless.

I would advise you return the unit for repair/replacement. Touchscreen defects were discovered in early lots and the root cause corrected. Ergo, more recent and future production runs will not exhibit this problem.

Originally Posted by Texrat
I would advise you return the unit for repair/replacement. Touchscreen defects were discovered in early lots and the root cause corrected. Ergo, more recent and future production runs will not exhibit this problem.
Could we please have an official statement from Nokia on this, and ideally a problem tracking number that a Nokia service centre will understand?

I realize that you're acting as our kinda-Nokia-information-conduit here, Texrat, but for this problem I think we need something a bit more solid and attributable.

My N800 has the touchscreen problem, and I'd love if it could be straightforwardly fixed, but I really don't want to spend ages explaining the problem to an uninformed service centre person, if there's a Nokia number somewhere that would identify the problem and necessary course of action precisely.

- Neil

Originally Posted by neiljerram View Post
Could we please have an official statement from Nokia on this, and ideally a problem tracking number that a Nokia service centre will understand?

I realize that you're acting as our kinda-Nokia-information-conduit here, Texrat, but for this problem I think we need something a bit more solid and attributable.

My N800 has the touchscreen problem, and I'd love if it could be straightforwardly fixed, but I really don't want to spend ages explaining the problem to an uninformed service centre person, if there's a Nokia number somewhere that would identify the problem and necessary course of action precisely.

- Neil
I wish I could give you more info, but I'm not in that position, sorry. All I can do is assure you that my knowledge IS solid, attributable to first-hand observed fact, and from there you're free to accept or refuse it. Not trying to be rude, but that is the best I can do given my circumstances.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I wish I could give you more info, but I'm not in that position, sorry. All I can do is assure you that my knowledge IS solid, attributable to first-hand observed fact, and from there you're free to accept or refuse it. Not trying to be rude, but that is the best I can do given my circumstances.
I understand that you can't do more publically in this forum than you are already doing. But can you perhaps encourage people at Nokia to make an official announcement about this, with a reference that I can take to a service centre?

(Does Nokia operate this way with their phones too, or is this particular to how they're handling Internet Tablets?)

By the way, by "attributable" I meant a number or name that I can quote to a service person. With respect, I don't think it would be effective if I said "there's this guy called Texrat on the forum, who says that ...". I didn't mean to dispute that your understanding of this issue is based in fact.

- Neil

Originally Posted by neiljerram View Post
I understand that you can't do more publically in this forum than you are already doing. But can you perhaps encourage people at Nokia to make an official announcement about this, with a reference that I can take to a service centre?

(Does Nokia operate this way with their phones too, or is this particular to how they're handling Internet Tablets?)

By the way, by "attributable" I meant a number or name that I can quote to a service person. With respect, I don't think it would be effective if I said "there's this guy called Texrat on the forum, who says that ...". I didn't mean to dispute that your understanding of this issue is based in fact.

- Neil
You can safely assume that I do communicate issues along proper channels. It would irresponsible of me not to. Never assume, however, that lack of formal announcement means that no one in the know (such as myself) has passed along the info-- sometimes it gets lost going upstream, sometimes people disagree with the originator on criticality, sometimes there's a political decision to keep certain info private, etc. *shrug*

As for phones vs tablets, I can't speak for the entire organization, just my small slice of things, but I can safely say that the tablets have indeed been treated somewhat differently than phones because they are different by their very nature. A good example is the confusion of many employees who don't understand this (despite communications intended to educate) and want to treat the tablet like a phone in reverse logistics activities. In addition, there are no carriers involved, necessitating a very different retail channel, and one that Nokia is really not that familiar with in the US. There are other factors as well.

And I had a good idea what you meant by 'attributable'-- I was being slightly facetious in my reply.

EDIT: also, you must keep in mind that problems are corrected as a product goes on. So if defects are observed during production, efforts are put into place to identify cause, implement corrective/preventive action and to exercise containment. However, if product has already been released to the wild prior to defect discovery, containment can be difficult. Very early in production it isn't practical to implement a recall so companies tend to elect to handle returns on an individual basis. That's where the touchscreen issues are.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-04-28 at 20:19.

You can safely assume that I do communicate issues along proper channels.
Thank you.

Very early in production it isn't practical to implement a recall so companies tend to elect to handle returns on an individual basis.
Which is fine, so long as there is an effective procedure for handling an individual return. As it happens, there is a Nokia service centre less than 5 minutes walk from my house, so I'll try taking the issue there and see what happens.

If they say "oh yes, an N800 internet tablet", and that takes them a list of known issues, and then they say "oh yes, reduced touchscreen sensitivity down the right hand edge of the screen, we'll have it repaired for you in a couple of days", I'll be jolly impressed, and everything that you have said will have been vindicated.

If they say "hmm, can I take a look, let's just see if it gets a dial tone", that's just not good enough.

If it's somewhere inbetween, like they have a rough idea that it's a tablet and not a phone, and that there's someone in the Brussels office who has a list of known tablet issues, but that list hasn't been entrusted to them, so they can send it off but can't say exactly what will happen ... that probably won't be good enough for me either. I'll probably prefer to live with the defect than to risk unpredictable consequences of organizational dysfunction.

I'll report back what actually happens!

- Neil