Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
- Getting it to work perfectly as users would like THAT is going to take time, and specially ressource from Myriad in order to make sure that NFC is available to all the wireless payment android apps, etc.
Do we really need Alien Dalvik?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Turkey
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
- Getting it to work perfectly as users would like THAT is going to take time, and specially ressource from Myriad in order to make sure that NFC is available to all the wireless payment android apps, etc.
I would be really surprised if Jolla/Myriad could provide NFC support for payments within android apps while they cannot provide file exchange over bluetooth within alien dalvik.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herdem09 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I don't think I NEED it. But i would prefer to have it. It just gives you some flexibility. Usually I don't use it anymore because for me all really necessary applications are available on sailfish nowadays. Anyway I use some open source android apps from time to time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I don't think I NEED it. But i would prefer to have it. It just gives you some flexibility. Usually I don't use it anymore because for me all really necessary applications are available on sailfish nowadays. Anyway I use some open source android apps from time to time.
Why not go for sfdroid, the libre solution?

Btw. I've never used NFC in my life. I don't consider the whole Android Pay things a great solution, anyway.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herdem09 View Post
I would be really surprised if Jolla/Myriad could provide NFC support for payments within android apps while they cannot provide file exchange over bluetooth within alien dalvik.
It shouldn't be too bad actually, NFC works quite differently to bluetooth after all.

BT is difficult because of what controls the device, SailfishOS uses Bluez4/5 and Android uses Bluedroid and you would need to write some kind of middleware to translate. BT is also quite complicated compared to NFC which is mostly fairly simple.

The main trick with NFC would be around message routing, how you do know which app has the NFC focus at any given time between Dalvik and Sailfish OS.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Doesn't it only work on Nexus 5? Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather use sfdroid than alien dalvik, but if one is available and the other would require 6months+ of community hacking to get it partly working then there's a big difference to people who need Android apps for whatever reason.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Doesn't it only work on Nexus 5? Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather use sfdroid than alien dalvik, but if one is available and the other would require 6months+ of community hacking to get it partly working then there's a big difference to people who need Android apps for whatever reason.
Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Oneplus One, some versions of the Moto G.

Also we've moved on from sfdroid and are trying to get Anbox working on Sailfish, once we get over the kernel patch situation (issue being we can't get it to boot with a 3.4 kernel, ie. on my Nexus 5), then I can go to town on the anbox image and get sensors and stuff working.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Oneplus One, some versions of the Moto G.
I stand corrected, didn't realise it was working on so many devices.

Also we've moved on from sfdroid and are trying to get Anbox working on Sailfish, once we get over the kernel patch situation (issue being we can't get it to boot with a 3.4 kernel, ie. on my Nexus 5), then I can go to town on the anbox image and get sensors and stuff working.
Wicked. Definitely interested in following the development efforts, is there a thread for that & general discussion?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave

Btw. I've never used NFC in my life. I don't consider the whole Android Pay things a great solution, anyway.
I didn't needed it in the past, so I don't know, how well it works. If it works nicely, I have no problem using sfdroid.

NFC is is the same for me. Don't really need it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
If with "we" you mean you and I, then yes.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen