Active Topics

asuming that you get omap3 and 1 gb of ram , open 2 tabs in microb and mediaplayer , and you get a call , the phone will lag because of cpu , why a faster cpu isn't a option? the blobs are for gpu and you need a new dsp?
and how about maemo , why isn't running on a new device if the mce is now open?
CSSU-T latest version

The Following User Says Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
asuming that you get omap3 and 1 gb of ram , open 2 tabs in microb and mediaplayer , and you get a call , the phone will lag because of cpu
and that's your results of system performance evaluation of which platform exactly?
Please read previous posts in this thread on "we won't go for any other SoC than the DM3730 in Neo900" and the rationale why we don't. Plus, from my job experience I've got to know about SiErr in OMAP4 that are WONTFIX and impossible to work around in software in any reasonable way - unless you also control the modem firmware which - unlike Samsung, RIM, LG etc - we don't.
Thanks.

Because you haven't accomplished porting it to that new device. I suggest N9 for a worthwhile target platform - but that's actually OT in this thread and should go to http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-19 at 17:30.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
asuming that you get omap3 and 1 gb of ram , open 2 tabs in microb and mediaplayer , and you get a call , the phone will lag because of cpu
Even N900 doesn't lag with such a load, I wonder where did you get that one from. Maemo5 uses about 270MB with TMO and Facebook opened in microb, with media player playing in background and conky opened. Just tested that. And I can tell you that N900 opens various applications(contacts, conversation, phone, etc) faster that galaxy S4 mini. Draw your conclusions. If you can.

On N900 there is very little (if any) difference between device running on 600MHz and 805MHz. Assuming you put a sane load on it.

And honestly, after all those years I still don't grok why it is acceptable for my desktop (4 i5 cores, 16GB RAM) to need 5 seconds to load firefox (for example), but the same 5 seconds are not acceptable for my phone. That's perverted, sorry.

why a faster cpu isn't a option? the blobs are for gpu and you need a new dsp?
For various reasons already explained countless number of times in this very thread.

Also, for OMAP3 we can reuse GPU drivers from N9/50, the same goes for DSP codec nodes. Tested and tuned by Nokia for production devices, not the crap TI distributes on their webside.

Because all devices besides N900 are either with locked bootloader or lack too many features HW wise (or both) for someone to be interested in porting Fremantle to them.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Even N900 doesn't lag with such a load, I wonder where did you get that one from. Maemo5 uses about 270MB with TMO and Facebook opened in microb, with media player playing in background and conky opened. Just tested that. And I can tell you that N900 opens various applications(contacts, conversation, phone, etc) faster that galaxy S4 mini. Draw your conclusions. If you can.

On N900 there is very little (if any) difference between device running on 600MHz and 805MHz. Assuming you put a sane load on it.

And honestly, after all those years I still don't grok why it is acceptable for my desktop (4 i5 cores, 16GB RAM) to need 5 seconds to load firefox (for example), but the same 5 seconds are not acceptable for my phone. That's perverted, sorry.

For various reasons already explained countless number of times in this very thread.

Also, for OMAP3 we can reuse GPU drivers from N9/50, the same goes for DSP codec nodes. Tested and tuned by Nokia for production devices, not the crap TI distributes on their webside.

Because all devices besides N900 are either with locked bootloader or lack too many features HW wise (or both) for someone to be interested in porting Fremantle to them.
could you elaborate the missing hardware features , or in short : what ''hardware'' you must have to boot maemo?
CSSU-T latest version

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
could you elaborate the missing hardware features , or in short : what ''hardware'' you must have to boot maemo?
If I read your question right (i.e. what HW I need to be interested in porting Maemo to other device besides N/eo900), the short list is(in random order):

HW keyboard
FM transmitter
resistive TS (at least as good as the one in N900)
uSD card slot
user changeable battery
video out

...and few more not so important (like hw volume keys etc)

If I don't read it right(so it should be - "what HW requirements has Maemo to be able to boot on a particular piece of HW") - well maemo boots in x86 ScratchBox with xephyr as X server. Skry made hildon-desktop working on arch-linux. etc. So, HW adaptation is not impossible, but me, personally, won't give up on the above (must have HW) stuff just to have 4 cores idling

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
This should probably be in the porting thread, but :

Wouldn't it be easier to use a standard Debian OS with the HILDON UI on top? Use OpenMoko Debian.

Someone here has made this and there is a GIT (X86?), might be easier to port and use an already working OS from OpenMOKO/GTA03?

Then spend some time making the (custom?) Hildon even better.

https://maemo.gitorious.org/

Edit: Why is there so much whinging!!??
Just be bloody happy this happening!!

Last edited by kingoddball; 2014-01-19 at 22:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
there is one phone that has
HW keyboard
uSD card slot
video out

it also have : 2 cores ,1gb of ram,capacitive touch,accelerometer, proximity, compass , lte ,nfc etc
the question is:can you(as in The Devs Team) port maemo to another device ? I'm willing to pay for that and I asume others are too
CSSU-T latest version

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
There is a guide on maemo site somewhere. This is the wrong place for that question.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
capacitive touch
...which instantly makes it unusable for anything serious. Not that you have done any research into state of it's bootloader or hardware compatibility, haven't you?

And how the big F is it related to Neo900?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
bootloader is unlocked by manufacturer , about neo : asuming extra thickness , big cover , price jumping 1000 bucks , that slow dm thing , how can you be so sure that neo will run maemo faster on neo compared to n900 ? you haven't run maemo on other device yet , hardware bugs , software ones etc.
Take the GTA04 for example?: how long and how many things need to be fixed?
CSSU-T latest version

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2014-01-19 at 23:20.

Tags
maemo 5