Notices

and how about a 800x480 format ? so we can stream it from the media player, and play the downloaded version from the media player .
becasue media player only supports .
thanks you .

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by maddude View Post
and how about a 800x480 format ? so we can stream it from the media player, and play the downloaded version from the media player .
becasue media player only supports .
thanks you .
YouTube does not provide a 800x480 stream. The closest available is 854x480.

My website

GitHub

but 854x480 is not supported by our beloved medai player,as i said the bst quality we can get from the media player is the lowest one possible in this app .
maybe the promissed internal player will bring higher quality .
Cheers .

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
thanks man ! mplayer plays good, but its a pain, we can't see the playing bar, no on screen buttons, and.... only the video playing, and some keyboard shortcuts.
anyway remember something, its great having an internal player for this awesome app (with hd support [480p] ) , but there are people with low connections (like me) arround the world, so make sure we can pause the video and it will continu loading, not like the media player . kind of like on the youtube page.
and wouldn't it be easier to put it in the testings (or devels) ? it will reach extras by tomorow. (because its the best youtube app)
480p is not hd 720p is. Btw, i would love if cutetube had hd support

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
This app has a better UI than the official one you're supposed to use in the website in your browser. For the first time I'm actually using Playlist functionality of YouTube.

I love the fact that I can use the Media Player for playing the vids and the option to choose the quality.

This is very quickly gaining the "must have" status from me. Yeah, the guy who has always protested using YouTube apps when we cann just visit the webpage.

Thanks for this app!

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Just give the man some time and don't bug him all the time? I am quite sure he's doing all he can, but apparently he has to build a complete new player from scratch in order to fix all the minor issues.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
but 854x480 is not supported by our beloved medai player,as i said the bst quality we can get from the media player is the lowest one possible in this app .
maybe the promissed internal player will bring higher quality .
Cheers .
At the moment cuteTube only passes the url to the external media player. I have no influence over which formats the media player supports. That is down to the Nokia media player devs. The solutions under consideration are:
  • Transcode the stream and output a format that is suitable for the media player.
  • Write an internal player, which would provide additional benefits such as YouTube related controls.

I am leaning towards writing an internal player, but it could take a while.

Originally Posted by anwar71839 View Post
480p is not hd 720p is. Btw, i would love if cutetube had hd support
720p will never be supported for playback, because it is pointless on a 3.5" screen and is too resource intensive. I like decent battery life on my N900.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Why not beg, borrow and steal from MediaBox; the demigod pycage has already done plenty of work in this area. Also, there's some good Maemo 5 code to look at here:

Code:
apt-get source mafw-test-gui

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
This is SUCH a good app! PLEEASE keep this one going! Loving it too much

If only most apps were made like this one!!

Well done matey! Keep it up!

The Following User Says Thank You to M00NB34M For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I too would recommend that. You can add a dependency on the extra decoders to cuteTube and write a media player using GStreamer. By default you could try to play the video with the OpenMAX decoder, but if it fails then the application just silently switches to ffdec_h264 for that video, and your end-users will be happy.

720p will never be supported for playback, because it is pointless on a 3.5" screen and is too resource intensive. I like decent battery life on my N900.
Some people here just don't seem to realize that playing 720p on N900 is pointless. Just for a clarification to those people: the N900 has a display resolution of 800x480 pixels. Anything larger than that needs to be scaled down.

Now, 720p is a short-hand for 1280x720 pixels, which is rather obviously A LOT more than N900's resolution. Thus the video just gets scaled down. 480p video is actually a lot closer to N900's native resolution and because there's significantly less to decode it'll also reduce battery consumption.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:

Tags
youtube