Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Very cool discovery! This opens up a lot of options I would think.

Any way to get Garnet to read GPS data?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Any way to get Garnet to read GPS data?
Depends on the application, of course. Opensource applications can be modified to read GPS data (avalaible on localhost:2000).

Most applications directly access the Serial or BT ports. According to GVM White Paper, both Serial Manager and Bluetooth Manager "are unavailable.". I don't know if this means they're unimplemented or if it's just missing the required vdrv -- the last one could could be developed, but there's mostly no documentation for it.

javispedro, you are THE MAN! I cannot believe how simple this solution is. I had hundreds of megabytes of applications and data on my Palm, so I was very cramped at 64Mb. Plus, I didn't have an automated backup solution to protect me from the semi-frequent GVM crashes I had.

Thank You!

Thank you, fanoush, as well, for all the work you've done in this area.

I thought that external storage would be resolved sometime. I didn't think the solution would be so easy.

I'll be giving this the hard testing, and I'll post back if I have any issues or comments.

Thank you very, very much!

I just started to create my "virtual" LifeDrive (LD-VM). Without SD-card support this would have been absolutely impossible.

Thanks javispedro for figuring out this SD-card support thing! I've got most of my Palm games now on the external SD-card running off links I created with ZLauncher. I'm also doing backups of RAM with Resco Explorer. That's way cool since if GVM wigs out I can do a fast restore and continue on. And oh my yes, the fantastic Palm game "Edge" actually now has sounds and runs smoothly off the external SD-card I've set up. Great stuff to be sure!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Thanks javispedro for the SD-card support.

I have some problem in using it.

I execute the follow commands and a slot 1 then appeared on my GVM
"Code:
$ mkdir ~/.gvm/cards
$ echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/0

I tried to install MerckManual on "SD 1", it did write some folders to the mmc1 and created a folder called palm, but the installation program of MerckManual crashed. I tried it several time, even to uninstall GVM and re-install GVM, no success. The installation is thru hotsync, MerckManual does not give out the .prc file, the hotsync error mess "failed to write to memory card". Well, it did created a folder and wrote some 50 small folders but empty contents. My MerckManual remains the same, did not take advantage of the SD card. Any suggestions what to try? TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-23 at 22:28.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I tried to install MerckManual on "SD 1", it did write some folders to the mmc1 and created a folder called palm, but the installation program of MerckManual crashed. I tried it several time, even to uninstall GVM and re-install GVM, no success. The installation is thru hotsync, MerckManual does not give out the .prc file, the hotsync error mess "failed to write to memory card". Well, it did created a folder and wrote some 50 small folders but empty contents. My MerckManual remains the same, did not take advantage of the SD card. Any suggestions what to try?
I just tested installing the MerckManual demo version and I got it to work. You need to have this directory structure on your SD-1 card:
PALM/Launcher
PALM/Programs

I started the MerckManual demo install and followed it through until it told me to hotsync. I did not hotsync. I used WinSCP to copy the appropriate files to my SD card. I'm using WIndows XP, and I looked in C:\Program Files\Palm\ for the directory that stores my hotsync data. This is usually your LastNameFirstInitial. So for Push Wall the subdirectory was WallP. In this directory is a subdirectory called CardInst with a subdirectory named Slot-SD,....I moved all the files from this directory to the PALM/Launcher directory. Besides the CardInst directory there is a directory called Install,.....I moved all these files to the PALM directory. I then fired up GVM and ran a file directory utility called FileMan (you can use the freeware FileZ). I then moved the files I had moved into the PALM directory on SD-1 to RAM. I then exited totally out of GVM. I ran GVM again and the MerckManual icon was on the main menu which I launched. It seemed to pull up all the MerckManual index. I wasn't able to access any entries though since they are mostly locked in the demo. It looks like there is a beacon icon up at the top that you tap on to hotsync your serial number key with the Internet (be sure you have an Internet connection going on your tablet). I don't know if this will work for you, but give it try. It may not work since it looks like the program creates some type of extensive directory structure different than the one I mentioned. Good luck!

Last edited by Pushwall; 2009-05-11 at 13:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
FWIW since GVM now supports SD cards I thought I'd try LJP (Little John Palm), the game emulator for Palm OS that emulates:

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
Nintendo Gameboy/Gameboy Color (GB/GBC)
Sega Genesis/Megadrive
Sega Master System (SMS)
Sega Game Gear (GG)
Bandai Wonderswan/Wonderswan Color (WS)
NeoGeo Pocket/NeoGeo Pocket Color (NGP)
Atari 2600 (VCS)

I was amazed to find that it does run,....sorta. It does NES emulation no problem (iNES for the tablets displays better). However, it runs out of memory trying to load any SNES or or Sega Genesis ROMs that I tried. As far as the other systems that it can emulate I didn't have any those game ROMs so I couldn't test them right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Pushwall read this http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=27
Time to change the N800 keys binding for GVM

The Following User Says Thank You to JustNick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JustNick View Post
Pushwall read this http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=27
Time to change the N800 keys binding for GVM
Interesting,........thanks!

Tags
garnet, palm