Active Topics

Iphone 3gs 30$ data unlimited for smartphone from AT&T vs N900 10$ unlimited data for standard phone from tmobile.

test at speedtest.net
N900 use the website and speed is around 4.3Mbs download and upload 900 kbs
Iphone 3gs: use the speedtest app: download is around 1.3 Mbs and upload is around 200 kbs

test 3 times and
test both phone at same time same location.

my 10$ data unlimited for standard phone...remember this is just the 10$ data plan for the standard phone not even 30$ that they have for smartphone on TMOBILE and its way faster then 3G on ATT, and they claim to have the fastest 3G network in USA... shame on ATT but i love iphone 4G tho.

The Following User Says Thank You to ryanl33x1511 For This Useful Post:
AT&T has the fastest overall network. With the fastest speed being some city in CA. That's if I remember reading the report correctly.

But T-Mobile with their recent HSPA upgrades are noice. Now if only they would do D.C. and Baltimore.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I'm curious if there is any difference in speed from the $10 and the $30 plan of T-Mobile.

When I was testing my speed (the $30 plan, 'cause I had an Android previous to the N900) and I seem to recall only getting 3Mb/s.

Unfortunately mine is 'in the shop' at the moment, so I can't test it again.

slaapliedje

there is really notthing difference between, one for standard phone and one for smartphone, 3g is just the signal, you still can get 3g speed if you still in old plan tzone for 4.99$, i have my data plan for 10$ for standard phone because when i open the plan i have my own phone with me which was not smartphone and they let me add the 10$ data plan, later on when i bought the N900 just swap the sim.

There is no quality difference with the $10 or $30 tmobile internet that I noticed. Same 3g signal and same speed with both. You just save $20 every month. I take that as an advantage to owning an unlocked phone

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
$5.99 a month unlimited internet on 5 lines. Money well spent! I've had download speeds over 7Mbps on my N900. Current Phones on my account are: N900, N82, Nuron, Nuron, HD2 (was an E63).

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I'm curious if there is any difference in speed from the $10 and the $30 plan of T-Mobile.

When I was testing my speed (the $30 plan, 'cause I had an Android previous to the N900) and I seem to recall only getting 3Mb/s.

Unfortunately mine is 'in the shop' at the moment, so I can't test it again.

slaapliedje
When I was on the $10 web2go, speedtest.net had my proxy/gateway somewhere in the midwest (Kansas?) when I was physically in Maryland. Latency was ~180ms+...no good for time sensitive data (VoIP). When I switched to the $25/mo plan, speedtest had me in the same state as test server...latency under 70ms.

@ Laughing Man, I was getting HSPA+ speeds in July in the Balt/DC corridor, about 3 miles from my house:

...but was only getting 900Kbs "at" the house. I'm getting 3-4Mbs at the house as of Sept.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
AT&T has the fastest overall network. With the fastest speed being some city in CA. That's if I remember reading the report correctly.

But T-Mobile with their recent HSPA upgrades are noice. Now if only they would do D.C. and Baltimore.
here.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Since my last post. I got an e73 as a loaner phone from T-Mobile and they let me keep it and pay the $53 fee. I now have the E73 and Joikuspot premium permanently on a bookshelf tethering my $5.99 Unlimited web for my family of 4. I called ATT and cancelled my $50+ home internet service. It is working wonders. Yesterday we had 3 computers and my N900 on the web with no problem. So basically, home wifi for $5.99. The e73 has a max dl of 10.2Mbps and 2Mbps up. We have great coverage in my area and I ran several speed tests before hand to make sure it was a smart move to cancel ATT.

Best money saving move I have ever made.

Last edited by Deaconclgi; 2010-11-08 at 19:59.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Hey Deacon,

How much data do you download on an average monthly?