Active Topics

I found a decent craplet at a reasonable price. For a short-time it is only $104, normally was $160.

Specs (pretty much a Hyundai except):
-1024x600 TFT screen (finally!)
-1.2GHz Quanzi/Allwinner A10 (not overclocked like 1.5GHz)
-1GB LDDRAM (makes it slightly faster, but more multitasker than 512MB)
-8GB NAND (that's 3-3.5GB's for Apps/Pictures/Music/Videos)
-Wifi N (finally, fast speed connection!)
-2MP front camera (slightly better than 1.3MP)
-Better Developer Scene than Hyundai (!) - ICS 4.03
-First Bad Point: the Loudspeaker is on the back, and only one (compared to dual/stereo loudspeakers on the front of the Hyundai)
----check the link for other specs/pictures

So what are you waiting for?
Don't be a pvssy, get Ainol !

edit:
-There's a (close but inferior specs) competitor for $145
-There's now a White Hyundai A7 which bumps up the 4GB to 8GB NAND for $110

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-04-17 at 08:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
how about ainol novo 7 elf ? It has better screen resolution, bigger ram 1gig, ics. And anyone used it ? As im interested to buy it. Just need a small review whether its good or not.

Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
how about ainol novo 7 elf ? It has better screen resolution, bigger ram 1gig, ics. And anyone used it ? As im interested to buy it. Just need a small review whether its good or not.
That was the tablet I linked to.
Apparently there's a version of it (Novo 7 Aurora) with a different exterior (matte, not glossy) and slightly smaller. It comes with an (600p) IPS screen from HITACHI. However, you have to pay about an extra $30 for it, and there's no web-specials for it so total cost is close to $185. Not to be confused with the older models the "Advanced II" or "Paladin" which have worse 800x480 screen and a slow MIPS processor (which isn't compatible with some/many apps).

There's a quick review here:
http://www.androidauthority.com/aino...mo-code-74526/
There's a video of it in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi0st...eature=related

And there's more reviews/videos just google it.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-04-17 at 09:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I found a decent craplet at a reasonable price. For a short-time it is only $104, normally was $160.
Wrong currency, the price you quoted is in £ (GBP), not in $ (USD).
In EUR is 123 and in USD is 160.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
So, on the subject of Ainol tablets, anybody knows if the soon-to-be-released Elf II is anything to call home about?
http://www.spemall.com/Ainol-Novo-7-...MI-Port_g.html

Main difference seems to be the dual core processor, but is the AmLogic processor as compatible as the AllWinner?

-- Well, just looked it up. The AllWinner is a A8 whereas the new one is a A9. They both have the ARMv7 instruction set however, so as far as I can see the difference will be in performance. I guess that ICS will be more smooth with a dual core, and heavy games will *hopefully* work better. Glad I didn't pull the trigger and bought a elf.

Also, is this "SPEmall" shop to trust? With all the photos below, it sure looks more legit compared to most other Chinese wholesalers.

Last edited by ToJa92; 2012-04-18 at 21:21.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Just general comment on the quality issues. I bought TWO very cool watch cell phones from China recently and was thrilled and had lots of fun, till they each broke because of flimsy hardware within a month. Cost less than $100 each, but not worth it.

I still want a cell phone on my wrist...

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
So, on the subject of Ainol tablets, anybody knows if the soon-to-be-released Elf II is anything to call home about?
http://www.spemall.com/Ainol-Novo-7-...MI-Port_g.html

Main difference seems to be the dual core processor, but is the AmLogic processor as compatible as the AllWinner?

-- Well, just looked it up. The AllWinner is a A8 whereas the new one is a A9. They both have the ARMv7 instruction set however, so as far as I can see the difference will be in performance. I guess that ICS will be more smooth with a dual core, and heavy games will *hopefully* work better. Glad I didn't pull the trigger and bought a elf.

Also, is this "SPEmall" shop to trust? With all the photos below, it sure looks more legit compared to most other Chinese wholesalers.
Thanks for that.
That would explain the price cuts on the first-gen ELF (Ainol Novo 7). All they've changed is the SoC and bumped the price up by $10 (which makes sense since AmLogic costs more).

However, in this last 6 months the industry has changed. They really need to shave off another $30 off the price, and bring realistic S&H fees. Currently its $150 Pre-Order, plus $30 shipping and handling. You must consider the Amazin Fire is under $199, the Nook Tablet has had the special ($219) and now Samsung is selling their Galaxy Tab 2 for only $249.

To be honest, the A10 was a "super-fast Cortex A8" and this seems to be a "low-end Dual-A9". The performance difference wouldn't be as great as we want it to be, then there's the fact of the Java virtual engine.
Basically, with Android's bloat (and chinese dodgy coding) the gap in performance may be unnoticeable.

But I would still recommend it, if they can hit a price point of $120 shipped, otherwise the SGT2 or refurbished/used ones seems like the better option, not to mention the $249 ASUS Nexus Tab with Tegra3 and 720p 7" display.

edit: Out of the $120, the cost for the shipping would be roughly $7 (company mass shipping). The most expensive part is the 600p LCD which costs about $18 and the SoC which costs about $12-17. The other parts (camera= $1), (Wifi= $1), (Board= $2), (Casing= $9). The battery cost I do not know. And the labour fee I also don't know (should be low). In all, I estimate that these Chinese OEMs spend an actual amount of $50-$65 to build and ship these away. I suspect that they pay a graduate to compile the builds using the aosp and stolen drivers, and he is paid a one time sum, which won't equate to more than $2 in each unit.

Basically, at $120 price point, there is an incentive for customers to buy from them, and they would be at least doubling their investment. I don't see why they have a need to go beyond that price point, nevermind lie about the specs of the device. In some cases, not even ship the item.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-04-19 at 04:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Well, me and a friend ended up ordering one Ainol Aurora 1 each. Purchased it from Spemall, so we'll see how that goes. If their S&H times are correctly stated(we picked their quickest shipping option), we should have them by the end of the next week. But, I'm guessing we'll get them the week after that.

UPDATE:
As of 1st of may nothing have happened with our order yet. Not sure if there's any holiday on the 1st of may over in china? From what I gathered off of the Spemall "Review" page(more like Q&A) beneath all the photos, they should be shipping them about now. There seems to be a good reason for the brief delay though: They've just received new stock.
Difference being that these have LG branded IPS screens which supposedly is better compared to the older ones(manufactured by "HITECH"). Edit: It was manufactured by Hitachi.

UPDATE2:
After said friend contacted them regarding shipment they said that they were already shipped and after that provided the tracking number. From what I've read on the internet we're not the only ones to get the tracking number after asking them about it.
Also, they actually weren't shipped; it seems like they created the shipping order and then sent the tracking number, and after that *hopefully* packs and ship the order. If Spemall and DHL isn't brutally slow and ship the tablets Monday we might have them by Friday. I'm guessing only time will tell.

UPDATE3:
The package leaved Hong Kong sometime during last night. Can't wait.

UPDATE4:
Approx. 16 hours ago the package appeared in Germany. Might be receiving the tablets on Monday or perhaps Tuesday.

UPDATE:
And it's now in Sweden, and at that actually pretty close to us. Expecting delivery today.
(On a sidenote, I'm also expecting an Ultrabook to turn up today as well - it's like early christmas)

UPDATE:
Well, guess I expected too much. My friend signed for the package, and shortly thereafter noticed they only shipped 1 tablet - after waiting almost 2 weeks despite paying for the most expensive shipping option available. On the upside, at least DHL is very quick - 3 days from Hong Kong to Sweden.

The package might be stuck in customs though, in case they shipped the tablets in two separate packages. The tablet he received cleared customs merely 6:30 hours ago so in worst case the other package(which we then wouldn't have the tracking number for) might still be stuck. Also, we got to pay VAT for at least one of them, about $43. That's to be expected, I guess.

Last edited by ToJa92; 2012-05-07 at 11:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Let us know how that goes! I'm genuinely curious myself!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Really, you should POST your updates--not edit an existing post. Otherwise, nobody will notice. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, chineseknockoff