Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
OMG! Can I turn away for five minutes without getting volunteered into something?
No, it is curtomary to volunter just the people who have left the room for a few minutes. Usually just going for a leak in the bathroom is enough.

I appreciate the gesture and the trust but I really urge you to think again.
I...
  • Do not have an IRC account
Well that is easy to sort out. It's not like it is about a facebook account or somethin like that so you'd need to sell your soul to get one. Takes under a second to create one and register it to nickserver

• Am online at odd hours and sometimes not for days at a time
  • Am not the fastest to respond to emails: sometimes it takes me weeks to reply
  • Have currently a rather busy period in my personal life (including no access to the PC, only my N900 for communication), which may make me respond even slower
Those things are a hindurence, but not showstoppers IMHO.

• Do not have political ambitions, which is why I have never been a manager in my life (in fact, my last two jobs have taught me to consider the word "manager" as a pejorative)
  • Do not have a plan or strategy for the immediate, let alone the long term future of this forum
Again, no need to worry about that. Being in Council is not about management, more of self-management, I'd say. As for plans for future, no-one can say for sure what is going to happen, we'll just have to be reactive and creative

• And finally, am recently on the dole. Legally, you have to declare any work you do, paid or unpaid. So I foolishly told them that I contribute to open source software projects, which resulted in an immediate stop to my job seeker's allowance. This is being investigated and there is a small chance that I may get some of my allowance back but imagine the result if they found out that I am on the council of something!
Ya, the rules that our fine bureocratscivil servants present us are joy to behold. I share your sentiments here.

So, please think again. If, having carefully read all of the above, you still think that I am a suitable candidate, then I am willing to accept the nomination. But please treat me as the last resort, when you do not get enogh other victimcandidates.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
. It pities me, that Maemo is still at the same point where it was when I moved on (not that I do not have failed attempts to revive it on my own account).
I would very much like here to become the central hub of current Maemo activities again...
A little off topic but, as you may or not know, there's been some work to port your work on Cordia to Debian Jessie. Even if you don't accept nomination, maybe this would be something you could contribute towards to help move Maemo along.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well [an IRC account] is easy to sort out. It's not like it is about a facebook account or somethin like that so you'd need to sell your soul to get one. Takes under a second to create one and register it to nickserver
I know but my point is that it makes very little sense for me to do so considering how little I am online and how long it takes me to react.

Look, I have a Skype account. It is the only IM account I currently have. I created it specifically to communicate with my family, which is spread over three countries. And I hardly ever use it. I just find it difficult to find the time. My family has learned to give me a week's notice ("get on Skype at 22:00 next Friday, will you?").

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
After somewhat lengthy consideration, I nominate the following fellow maemoans up for election;
  • hurrian
Thanks for the nomination (feeling really honored!), unfortunately I'm going to have to decline

I'll have more than my hands full for the foreseeable future in Uni, and I doubt my competency for leadership.
However, I'll definitely be sticking around the community for a while, on TMO and IRC

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I would like to accept the nomination.

I am not good with introductions so I will try to keep it short and sweet.

First discovered this community after I saw N9 being announced and fell in love with it. Took me a year to get N9 but I was in the forums lurking for a while before that.
Love the community and it's people got passion for open source technology. Have used N900 and do like it, just never could buy it.

I do a bit of programming but not too much my main contributions are in Jolla apps. But I would like to get more involved with the community itself.

Life wise I am a PhD student working in computer vision.

Thank you

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I would like to accept the nomination.

I am not good with introductions so I will try to keep it short and sweet.

First discovered this community after I saw N9 being announced and fell in love with it. Took me a year to get N9 but I was in the forums lurking for a while before that.
Love the community and it's people got passion for open source technology. Have used N900 and do like it, just never could buy it.

I do a bit of programming but not too much my main contributions are in Jolla apps. But I would like to get more involved with the community itself.

Life wise I am a PhD student working in computer vision.

Thank you
Nice. Good ****.

Neil and mariumssj. What a dreamhack team. Lets bring Down the current leidership. Viva la revolution.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-06-28 at 15:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Nice. Good ****.

Neil and mariumssj. What a dreamhack team. Lets bring Down the current leidership. Viva la revolution.
My name is Niel, and I dont go for a revolution, except - the one that will mean freedom for our devices, to enable them to survive even far longer than they have already done.
I dont endoldge any specific person, but I hereby:

Nominate Dave999 to step up and join the team!

Last edited by nieldk; 2014-06-28 at 17:00.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
My name is Niel, and I dont go for a revolution, except - the one that will mean freedom for our devices, to enable them to survive even far longer than they have already done.
I dont endoldge any specific person, but I hereby:

Nominate Dave999 to step up and join the team!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I adore your drawings

Now, accept the nomination - and make a difference

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
So I might step forward then.

My introduction:

Hi, I am juiceme and I am running for Maemo Community Council.

Many of you might already know that I have been Maemo Council member for the previous period. I thought hard about stepping forward for re-election, but I might still have something to give for the community, even as I'd like to see new people join up.

My spark into joining maemo.org came when I purchased a N9 device, my first linux-based mobile phone. Previously I had owned Symbian devices since early nineties but I never did any SWDEV on those as my interests were on big iron. N9 was the first small embedded device that had the same tools I was used to working with so naturally I was delighted on the possibilities it offered.

My current daily driver is the Jolla device (I got mine on the very Launching Gala last november, it's the device #240 )

I have pre-ordered the Neo900, and am eagerly anticipating it

I have degrees in EE & ME, and some university courses in Math before dropping out due to having not enough time to do family/work/university simultaneously
My current occupation is in SW development for Telecommunication Systems at Nokia. (This is the real Nokia I am talking about, nothing to do with Microsoft) Previously I have done RF design, HW design and Test System design. I have worked in this industry for about 2 decades.

My passion is Free Software, Libre software even, and I am known to be fairly vocal FS advocate on my workplace. I use exclusively Linux/Unix variants in my work and on my own time, and am known for pestering people to drop proprietary/legacy OS'es and switch to Linux.

My SW skills include c, python, test automation and tool creation. I like kernel work and prefer to use console over any GUI's. Usually my first take at anything is to write a bash script

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: