i am in the middle of a 2 year contract with verizon and verizon gives me all the coverage i need- whereas att has some holes in the coverage- so this is hypothetical as i am not going cancel ... but at $199 it sure do make you want one- i didnt notice how much the ipod touch was going to cost? but if I were nokia it really would scare the s**t out of me

the cool thing about the iphone is the fluid interface- any chance of getting fluid of somesort for our tablets???

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Another thing - on 11th july iPhone 2 will start in 22 countries. Will expand to 70 in some months (or so Jobsie claims).

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/s...rom-wwdc-2008/

If iphone 3g can really be sold on 199$ without contract, it would surely be the top killer on this market, no matter internet tablet / cell phone / smart phone....

What Nokia needs to take into factor is that for a effective 3G (HSDPA) + Wifi Tablet , for the IT, you need

a) N800 ($200) or N810 ($400)
+
b) around $300 3G HSDPA phone (unlocked)

while the iPhone2 is a Wifi + 3G (HSDPA) solution in itself for $200.

So price competitiveness is the big fear factor for Nokia (and all other phone mfrs.) this time around - not the closeness or openness of the platforms as much, I believe.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
I'm just waiting to see the price in Finland. $199 would be about 126 euros. With taxes it would be about 160 euros. Knowing TeliaSonera... no way they're going to go that low.
Ah but if you have some friends there that happen to be in the sales dept. chances are you (or actually me) will get the employee price. Not to mention that Sonera is now our communications supplier. Just switched from Elisa.

Calling Apple tomorrow to see when and where.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Haha I'm not planning on buying the thing myself, let alone switching to Sonera! I have way too much experience about them already. It's just fun to see the prices go up after the $199 craze.

$199/$299 with a 2-year commitment. I don't think I want to go from $15/mo. unlimited data on Verizon to $35 on AT&T (assuming HSDPA costs the same).

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
Haha I'm not planning on buying the thing myself, let alone switching to Sonera! I have way too much experience about them already. It's just fun to see the prices go up after the $199 craze.
I hear you. I had Elisa as my private service but they simply suck. No other way to say it. I have 24/1 ADSL here in Helsinki and for the most part, I get about 18/880 kbs which is pretty good. With Elisa, I was getting 12/512 but still paying the same price. Right now I have DNA for my GSM service, which can be a disaster. It is pretty stable but after trying Sonera for a week and DNA, Sonera comes out a bit better in terms of coverage and quality. I know some people in the products and services divisions and they are really making a push to do better. We will see. Finns make great products but are not known for their service.

I think by setting a hard maximum price of $199/299 for the operators Apple forces them to do price subsidy. That means they won't sell them so easily without a contract anymore.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
What Nokia needs to take into factor is that for a effective 3G (HSDPA) + Wifi Tablet , for the IT, you need

a) N800 ($200) or N810 ($400)
+
b) around $300 3G HSDPA phone (unlocked)

while the iPhone2 is a Wifi + 3G (HSDPA) solution in itself for $200.

So price competitiveness is the big fear factor for Nokia (and all other phone mfrs.) this time around - not the closeness or openness of the platforms as much, I believe.
I have a free 3G Samsung Sync that I connect my N810 too. You don't have to buy a SmartPhone to connect the N8xx too.