Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Qole are you saying that iced tea debs work on the N810? If so how have you installed and tested?
Well, like always, it was through Easy Debian (and Easy Mer)

(see here, here, here and here for some screen shots)

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Well, like always, it was through Easy Debian (and Easy Mer)

(see here, here, here and here for some screen shots)
OK Cheers, easy debs is my next new friend

Mike C

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Opera Mini requires Java ME; not Java SE. When we refer to Java we usually refer to Java SE.

Opera Mini is optimized for specific devices (screen size, input methods, etc). I'm not entirely sure how this optimization works, but you cannot simply grab Opera Mini and run that on any device you get Java ME working on and get an optimized experience.

Have to admit I'm impressed with Opera Mini 5.0 beta btw.
Well, in the context of a mobile device/computer such as the N900, asking for JavaSE AND JavaME doesn't seem too far fetched

In any case, the Opera Mini's experience is excellent in my Kaiser (touchscreen+qwerty usage) and in my Samsung E590 (no-touch, phonepad smartphone), just to name my current (in-use) devices. Running the fast (both in native performance and network-wise) Mini in N900 would elevate the device "value"... just IMHO

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
I have now posted the two brainstorm proposals with the discussed solutions. i'll leave the wiki page as-is for now.

Please vote here for Java ME solutions.

Please vote here for Java SE solutions.

*push*

*trying to collect more votes*

I'd vote for at least one of them, but I don't know which. I've read countless threads concerning Java on Maemo and numerious wiki pages, but I just can make sense over what I need.

Java ME, Java SE, Jalimo, PhoneME, headless, Eclipse, Jazelle, ThumbEE - all these terms are great and I have a loose understanding how they relate to each other, but all I really want is for my Corporate Lotus Notes Web Email Service to work right when I'm on the road. Any guidance for what I should vote for.

Something tell me this would be so much easier if Sun would just port a free version of their Java to Maemo - just like it works for Windows system.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by urnass View Post
Java ME, Java SE, Jalimo, PhoneME, headless, Eclipse, Jazelle, ThumbEE - all these terms are great and I have a loose understanding how they relate to each other, but all I really want is for my Corporate Lotus Notes Web Email Service to work right when I'm on the road. Any guidance for what I should vote for.
Java SE.
Java ME - java used in dumb-phones.
Having Jazelle supported would also be nice - it's a feature of some ARM cpus to execute java code directly (at least parts of it).

The Following User Says Thank You to arachnist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by ovjo12 View Post
I know there no official support for Java, JavaME/CLDC/MIDP or JavaME/CDC today. This is a mistake from Nokia I believe, every Java developer I talk to say they will move to Android. Perhaps the community could add it? Anyone know anything about it?
Funily enough a lot of developers use languages other than Java. Android is a Java environment and as such is an obvious platform.

Sun are the ones that would need to port, support & maintain such a platform not Nokia. If you feel that the N900 needs Java then maybe you should organise a petition to Sun?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Funily enough a lot of developers use languages other than Java. Android is a Java environment and as such is an obvious platform.

Sun are the ones that would need to port, support & maintain such a platform not Nokia. If you feel that the N900 needs Java then maybe you should organise a petition to Sun?
Depends on type of Java, depends on JVM used, etc etc.

Sun could port on contract, Nokia could ask Sun and then pay royalties, etc etc.

Your post clearly excludes possibility of unofficial Java support (with or without Nokia help) by excluding branding & certification. Which is why Android is not a Java SE environment; it doesn't pass the certification.

Because Java SE was not open source and because now it is GPL but required additional components to be replaced there are many options and they are part of the reason of this thread, as they're looked into here. The result of the discussion you can find on Brainstorm and Wiki.

Bottomline is: to run Java you do not need Sun to necessarily port Sun's Java SE to your platform. You need to get your port certified as being Java which requires a huge compatibility test which must pass completely. IBM, for example, has passed this certification for many years!

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
If you feel that the N900 needs Java then maybe you should organise a petition to Sun?
sun won't do anything unless someone pays 'em or the platform is widespread enough.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
My point entirely!