Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
No matter how it was managed, people were going to complain. This is evident in the article posted. The only thing the article pointed out was the negative, and moaned on and on how users were now disadvantaged. No where did it point out that S60 is transparent throughout the entire device, or that there is a plethora of software. As someone put it, this was just a simple Nokia bash session. Sales figures will ultimately determine who was right.
Nokia wasn't the only one bashed. Apparently, enthusiasts who have seen a lot of mobile devices and largely given the E90 good reviews did so because they like things "new and shiny" for their "infantile" unboxings. I myself usually prioritize functionality over aesthetics or the cool factor, but the article unfairly made it sound like the only positive attribute of the E90 was the cool factor.

When the S60 Communicator was announced, I understood it as a business decision but was concerned that there would be all kinds of bugs with menus not formatting correctly, etc. But the transition from S80 and S60 was apparently performed rather well so you have to give the E90 a nod. And as it evolves (and I'm guessing gets a bit cheaper) is going to be a significant competitor in the handheld computer segment.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
I agree with you 10000000000%. I just got my E90 and I love it. All my software works as it did on my N95.

I do wish that Nokia had sent me a personal, hand engraved invitation letting me know that they were migrating from S80 to S60 though.

Hey iball. I tried your method. My N95 will not import the .cer file. Says file type unsupported. Hmmmm..... Any suggestions? Thanks.
For some stupid reason, Nokia decided to go with the .DER format instead of the industry-standard .CER format in S60 devices.
Whoever the jackhole is at Nokia HQs who suggested that one should be publicly hanged and the video uploaded to YouTube.
Talk about a pain-in-the-*** exporting from OS X's keychan to a bunch of .DER files and then BT transferring them over. Now I keep all those certs in a cert folder on my micro-SD card & on my computer in case I ever need to install them again.
And I won't even go into the issues getting Nokia phones to connect to a Cisco 3000 VPN concentrator as those are pretty well documented now.

Last edited by iball; 2007-08-07 at 23:57.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
For some stupid reason, Nokia decided to go with the .DER format instead of the industry-standard .CER format in S60 devices.
Whoever the jackhole is at Nokia HQs who suggested that one should be publicly hanged and the video uploaded to YouTube.
Talk about a pain-in-the-*** exporting from OS X's keychan to a bunch of .DER files and then BT transferring them over. Now I keep all those certs in a cert folder on my micro-SD card & on my computer in case I ever need to install them again.
And I won't even go into the issues getting Nokia phones to connect to a Cisco 3000 VPN concentrator as those are pretty well documented now.
Uhhhhh..... How did you convert from .cer to .der? Keychain does not seem to provide a converter.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
... And just for those who thought it was only The Register bashing Nokia for fun, here's a snippet from the All About Symbian website, by someone -- Ewan -- who can hardly be called a Nokiaclast:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ringe_pt_2.php

It seems not even the fanbois like the E90.

<snif> <snif> -- NOT!

Uhhhhh..... How did you convert from .cer to .der? Keychain does not seem to provide a converter.
Sorry about that. Export as a .PEM and then the extension to .DER.
At least I think that's how I did it. It was so long ago...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
... And just for those who thought it was only The Register bashing Nokia for fun, here's a snippet from the All About Symbian website, by someone -- Ewan -- who can hardly be called a Nokiaclast:

<snif> <snif> -- NOT!
Actually, IMHO quite different from the venomous "Nokia abandoned and spit on their loyal customers" approach of the Register. Pefectly fair to comment critically about keyboard design and layout, etc., and pondering where it fits in the current range of high end mobile devices.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
That's enough rationality out of you.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post

<snif> <snif> -- NOT!

http://my-symbian.com/s60v3/review_e90.php?page=2

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-e90-en.shtml

It looks like there are two points of view on the E90. This version will also sell okay.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
After all my rants, I have one (a kind gift from my wife).
It is not so bad.
After one full day of confusion (everything was in the *wrong* place for somebody used to the previous communicators) I am figuring out how to make it do what I need. The accompanying software needs robust adaptations, though, particularly the browser. But, alas, it *is* a communicator.
With my n800 makes a nice couple. I'd like them to marry and have a child - a clamshell, linux-based, gps, stylus and keyboard enabled, new communicator... maybe the G900 (G for geeks, like N for entertainment and E for business).