Active Topics

Poll: Best OS for N900?
Poll Options
Best OS for N900?

I am having a question for a long time, why to start a new OS from scratch, why couldn't we Maemo 5 as the source and upgrade - lots of thing pending to upgrade and will be quicker, in-spite of creating fresh OS like MeeGo... Later I thought the MeeGo UI will be much user friendly than Maemo, but after I get to know about

Cordia "is a project to bring Maemo 5's UI (Hildon Desktop and related components) to the MeeGo distribution"

I am getting too many questions like we have grown a lot with Maemo 5... Why to create the same set of apps for MeeGo which is a brand new OS... Not sure is there any way to reuse the Maemo apps on MeeGo

Maybe I misunderstand please let me know your thoughts and comments on what we can get more from MeeGo which lacks in Maemo.

Thanks in advance,
Sudarsan.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
im pretty sure maemo apps can be ported, many with little effort

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
to start with.. the new sgx drivers..which will improve the Maemo experience..and more things like this!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arora.rohan For This Useful Post:
I think Maemo 5+CSSU is a great choice for the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to JadeH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Instead of hammering up Maemo 5 and all the old closed source bits inside it, why not take MeeGo DE (the core runs fine, handset UX however does not) and put Hildon on top of it? Due to QT and python, it'd be easy to fix up and port them to a system with: patched up and improved Hildon, armv7-hardfp+neon, 2.6.37+drivers (BTRFS!), newer Python packages (think Python 3+) that don't break the system, a close-to-upstream system, and according to smoku, possibly: GTK3.

Downsides:
EVERY MAEMO APP
will need to be recompiled.Easy Debian images will need to be rebuilt for hardfp.Oh, did I mention that everything will need to be repackaged in RPM?

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-06-05 at 11:32.

Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
To be honest, I'm not very interested about meego. As you said, I don't know what will be New in this OS wich does not exist in Maemo. Nokia should have continue to support Maemo and bring us the great updates the community is working On (even If I did not install CSSU yet - Waiting for a patched Firmware version maybe)
And one "big" problem will be to recompile all the existing apps to work on meego. Seriously, If Maemo dies in the following years, i'll go for Android or at least install NitDroid on my phone (When calls function will be available). Android reminds me my first experience with Symbian with My first Symbian Phone the Nokia 6600

Last edited by Boemien; 2011-06-05 at 15:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
It may be that Nokia should have done this or should have done that; however, they haven't. As it stands, therefore, we are left with options. Personally, I'm sticking with vanilla PR1.3 unitl the reports of Modest bugs in the CSSU stop, then heading CSSUwards until enough of the software I use (or equivalents) under Maemo is available under MeeGo (or software I would have like to use but has never been available shows up) and Cordia is usable and stable - not until M3 or M4 on the roodmap.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Instead of hammering up Maemo 5 and all the old closed source bits inside it, why not take MeeGo DE (the core runs fine, handset UX however does not) and put Hildon on top of it? Due to QT and python, it'd be easy to fix up and port them to a system with: patched up and improved Hildon, armv7-hardfp+neon, 2.6.37+drivers (BTRFS!), newer Python packages (think Python 3+) that don't break the system, a close-to-upstream system, and according to smoku, possibly: GTK3.

Downsides:
EVERY MAEMO APP
will need to be recompiled.Easy Debian images will need to be rebuilt for hardfp.Oh, did I mention that everything will need to be repackaged in RPM?
What kind of doujinshi have you been reading!?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by sudarsan_avs View Post
I am having a question for a long time, why to start a new OS from scratch, why couldn't we Maemo 5 as the source and upgrade - lots of thing pending to upgrade and will be quicker, in-spite of creating fresh OS like MeeGo...
There are few misunderstanding in this question. Let me explain.

Starting a Linux distribution is A LOT of work. So much work, that most attempts on this fail.
That's why most new distributions use an existing distribution as a base. Ubuntu and Maemo started basing on Debian. Mandriva and Moblin started basing on Fedora/RedHat.
MeeGo starts a bit differently - by merging best features from both Maemo and Moblin. Yes, what is visible at the first glance is RPM packaging, and a lot of packages taken directly from Moblin (as these were already there). But if you look at the architecture, it's basically a copy of Maemo architecture with bits of Qt replacing here and there.

Ergo: MeeGo is not starting from scratch. It merges best features from Maemo and Moblin.

Secondly - maintaining a distribution is a lot of work. More than you can imagine before you try it. Maybe a more than starting a distribution. That's why most distributions die after some time.
Yes, CSSU is a great effort to update the current Maemo5 state and it is successful in bringing a lot of new features, but updating the base system to current state is a mundane task which people get tired of. Especially if other distributions are doing it already, so if you base on them you get core updates "for free".

Thus Cordia decision to base on MeeGo Core. We have an updated core system, with toolkit and UI we like.

I guess it really depends on the viewpoint you're at.
End users are interested in new features and don't really care about the backends supporting the features, to the point of being oblivious that the lacks in backends cause the lack in new features.
Developers are interested in in APIs enabling them to do cool things with less effort and do not mind turning the whole system around with no apparent visible changes.

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
What kind of doujinshi have you been reading!?
What do you mean? My last bowl was 10 years ago!
[Taropun] Milk Party!(English) =Team Vanilla=
I just went and reread that, and I think I get what you mean

smoku, any plans on crowdsourcing the localization strings for Cordia?

Tags
buy cordia tab, cordia vs cssu, more opensource, y this thread?