Active Topics

Since you are making another "Media Player" you could just put "Advanced" before it and call it AMP for short.

XMMS is not touch friendly and it has to be minimized before other apps can be used because it stays on the top of stack (unless mine is broken).

1) make it use very little memory, like xmms. media player and canola use too much.
2) make it start up fast like xmms
3) touch friendly UI like canola or media player
4) you should be able to immediately begin playing music after launching it like xmms, canola requires requires you to drill down into your music
5) don't require metalayer-crawler, allow music directories to be selected like canola/xmms
6) control from dbus or command line app

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Not using Qt may be preferable as not everyone have cloned maemo to SD yet.
And even those who have still have the same amount of RAM as the rest of us. The glib/gtk/hildon stack is already loaded, use it!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
If only Xmms supported .wal extension Winamp skins instead of just the older .wsz ones.

Problem solved.

There is work being done on Xmms2 with it's new formatting.

It probably would be a pain to compile though.
http://xmms2.org/wiki/Install_instructions

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Hmm, just discovered that i still have youamp installed. Wonder what happened to that one.

If it had the ability to just dump one or more dirs into a playlist rather then this overly clever media library it would get more use from this person at least.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
YouAmp was halted for somereason. Developer doesn't answer so I think the project was abandoned.

Addison, all skins you showed are not "touch friendly". Thats the problem. All we need is a few buttons, playlist(s) and progress bar.
I can make a draft in a PS and upload here. Just give me some time

@auouymous
Nice, this is a completely what we need.
But I am a noob in programming, I even don't knwo what the difference between C++ and qt And I can't bring this kind of help to the project.

Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
Nice, this is a completely what we need.
But I am a noob in programming, I even don't knwo what the difference between C++ and qt And I can't bring this kind of help to the project.
C++ has one letter and two symbols, QT only has two letters.

--

I have this dream of a new file manager for maemo. Think of telescope's launcher view but with a scrollable icon section and an action bar and a shelf on the action bar to temporary store files for moving them between dirs. A selection of multiple files would be stored on the shelf as a single icon representing the collection. Actions include basic file manager stuff but some are hidden until a file is selected. And other actions are context sensitive and change based on the files in a directory. And some actions will be grouped into a menu with the most used of the group appearing on the bar with a little symbol indicating that you can swipe it up to open the menu with more actions.

There would also be an action to open a special shortcut folder where you can place direct links to your most important files and the shortcuts folder also has special icons in it that represent typed collections such as music, videos and images. Multiple directories can be tagged as music and they automagically appear in the music shortcut. Each collection type also has a plugin that can alter the view inside the collection. So when you enter the music shortcut it changes the window to a playlist with music controls. And when you are navigating the file system and click on a music file it would launch the plugin to play that file but you would also see the music plugin on the action bar when inside tagged directories and could switch between file manager mode and music mode.

I also want it to have a text editor plugin similar to maemopad so it can open text files and rich text files quickly inside its lightweight editor and exit back out of them just as quickly. Instead of having a bunch of memos stored in a single database file you can have each one stored in a universal format as separate files.

The image plugin would be like the music plugin. Movies could be played with a plugin but might be better with an external app. Same for other file types like PDFs.

And of course the entire thing must launch fast, use very little memory and switch contexts fast. It would also start up in shortcut mode and there would be special "resume" shortcut that takes you to the same place you were at the last time you closed the file manager. Browsing the filesystem, close it, launch it again, tap music and then play to begin playing your music or tap resume to return to the spot in the filesystem you were last in. Or tap one of the other shortcuts for to go to your favorite directories, such as the one containing your text files.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey Kroll.

What about a front end for Xmms and using Xmms-ctrl?

Just trying to make it as easy of a project as possible for you.

Anyway, here's a couple of screens that might give you some ideas.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
best bet is to improve youamp which is the best player out there

The Following User Says Thank You to yukop4 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
best bet is to improve youamp which is the best player out there
Just installed youamp and it has a few flaws. Its python and uses 30meg. It is slow and laggy. Its volume slider would reset back to about 1% volume everytime I changed it. All but the first problem can be fixed.

<rant>
BTW, a HAM replacement would also be nice. I know about FAM but it has a few bugs and doesn't have all of HAM's functionality. Would be nice to not have to spend a minute "updating" to see the apps I have installed and would be nice not to update the repos everytime I open it.
</rant>

@ addison
The first two shots are nice, the others are desktop apps. Do you know how to make xmms run without a window? I know xmmsctrl can hide/show the main and playlist windows but they would still show up in telescope/navigator. It would be rather easy to make a nice looking wrapper that calls xmmsctrl for play, stop, next, prev, open/close xmms's playlist window and even display the song playing. I'm not sure if its possible to get status updates back from xmms or xmmsctrl so the wrapper would have to continuously poll to update the current song. Although, xmmsctrl has to be communicating with xmms via a pipe. The wrapper should bypass xmmsctrl and communicate directly with xmms over the same pipe.

Would be really nice if it could make xmms run without a window and if it can send status updates over the pipe instead of polling for them. Why don't you crack open the xmms and xmmsctrl source and see if either of those are possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Well, nothing new. I took my favorite things from my favorite applications and put it together.
Hope u like it.

By the way, What about Simp? Simple Audio Player.

Last edited by Kroll; 2011-09-18 at 23:11.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post: