Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
7 years old today, from the mailing list (thanks to MWKN on twitter for the link):

[maemo-community] maemo.org turns 7

Date: Fri May 25 09:36:50 EEST 2012 Hello, It was exactly 7 years that we turned on maemo.org. Long live maemo, happy birthday!

Cheers, ferenc
-- maemo.org sysadmin, developer
email: ferenc at maemo.org
770 launched

Last edited by mrsellout; 2012-05-25 at 18:58.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
wow, long live,

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Great! Congratulations Maemo.org !

Proud owner of a Jolla smart phone
Check this out !
http://www.jollatides.com/

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Long Live Maemo Community. You are now 7 years old.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Bangalore
WoW !!
It's my Birthday too

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I remember the time. Linux on laptops was still a somewhat tricky science (e.g. having to reboot after closing and opening the laptop lid, Ubuntu was just a toddler...) and there you had Nokia (a name nobody associated with Linux) showing a Debian flavor with a GNOMEish desktop running on a touch device that (kind of) fits in your pocket.

I was utterly impressed. Even if I knew they working on something Linux (they had hired Gullem Jover, the Debian maintainer we wanted for our little cooperative company), I never suspected anything like Maemo & the 770. But at the time all this was more or less exotic news. I was working on web projects using free CMSs, contributing to GNOME marketing and not caring much about my cheap & small mobile phone. The last thing I would have thought is that I would end up joining that team in 2007.

What's your story? Where were you in May 2005?

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Brisbane, Australia
May 2005, I was working as Qtopia Community Liaison/Manager on Qtopia for Trolltech in Brisbane, Queensland. What Qtopia started evolving into eventually became the backend declarative/QML and figured prominently in the N9. My first thought on maemo was 'wtf didn't they use Qt?'

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lpotter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Happy Birthday & Long Live Maemo!

Thanks for everyone in this great community, love all your work

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
[...]
What's your story? Where were you in May 2005?
in 2005 i eventually decided to put my trustworthy 7650 to rest
the headset connector was building up some sort of static & the keys were starting to act up randomly

it happened that the 770 was the hot new thing coming & i was very interested in it, but alas it didn't have the GSM function and was thus not available with a contract.
the fact that Wi-Fi was still very uncommon (even in homes) around where i was living made it barely available at all, as a matter of fact

back then i didn't know the 1st thing about Maemo and even though i had been keeping more or less up to date with SuSE respectively openSUSE and started to have a permanent install around that time (on a 4 hard disc tower, next to 2k3 as primary ) the idea of putting anything but Symbian on a "mobile" device (or XP on a lappy) seemed... odd at best

ended up taking a 7710 but replaced it with a 1100 before the end of the contract as it was utterly unusable

started to visit Maemo a few weeks after i got my N900 (nearly 2 years ago) but didn't post much (if at all) until about a year ago, not long after Flopocalypse

as the N900 is available again with 2 years NOKIA warranty (thus presumably new (?)) i'll continue to use it, buy a new one if the two i already have (original 2 years old and another bought end of last year (new)) should have any (hw) problem
knock knock knock

i wonder in how far the renewed availability of the N900 is to have an offer with a physical keyboard.
maybe we'll get a decent successor eventually?