Active Topics

Note the following point in LinuxDevices Article

Asked whether Nokia might also consider adding a cellular radio chip to its Linux-based Internet tablet in the future, Jaaksi replied, "It's more a business model than a technology barrier."

If nokia Embeds a mobile chip what is going to happen my predictions are
1. Iphone will be killed
2. Nokias all other phone models (Especially N series will not sell)
3. May be it can cost around 400$
4. If mass market arrives it will be less than 300$ or even 200$
5. May be they can also add GPS to it but it will kill their own navigation kit costing 250$ so they will not do it.

The point 2 is why nokia is fearing about N800

Why cant any other company try to build N800 with GPS and Mobile chip
Openmoko v2 (with wifi) is somewhere near but screen size makes it unusable

Some suggestions to nokia:
Nokia 770 for just 130$ can act as a very good mp3 player and Mp4 player .
Who needs ipod nano and cowon or archos ..The problem is they are not marketing them, fearing sales on Nseries. Please market it as a Entertainment device to get at least some market share of PMPs.
N800 is extendable .this can replace 30gb ipods and all other similar players

Add wimax to N800 and also facilitate it to work as a wimax router to that current laptops and desktop will work when connected to n800 .In this way you can create more market.

Please add your suggestions as well also comment on my predictions

1. iPhone will not be killed. Hundreds of thousands of Apple fanbois will see to that.

2. Nokia phone models will continue to sell because Nokia properly MARKETS them, unlike they do with their internet tablet line.

3. It will wind up costing the same as the N95, $750 or more.

4. Mass market will never arrive because Nokia can't figure out how to market anything in the U.S.

5. It won't kill their own nav kit because the same BT GPS receiver can be used with other non-built-in-GPS devices. And they would still be able to sell the software separately.

Nokia dreams they had the type of viral marketing and lock-in that Apple currently does, and that alone is why no device Nokia has - or will have in the foreseeable future - can come close to touching the iPod.
But I will say this...my Nokia N95 has more "connectivity" options/features on my Macbook Pro than the current iPhone does. Talk about pathetic (for Apple).

And wi-max will NEVER take off until every single GSM tower in {insert country here} has it up and running.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think your predictions are a gross exaggeration, jaya. I mostly agree with iBall ( to him on his rebuttal #4 )

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think your predictions are a gross exaggeration, jaya. I mostly agree with iBall ( to him on his rebuttal #4 )
Well, tell your homies over there at Nokia that unlike Europe they'll have to actually "work" at getting the word out about their products over here in the US.
That means billboards, radio, television, AND the internet in addition to any other "word-of-mouth" tricks like the excellent S60 flagship store meets that NO ONE outside of the S60 fanbois crowd knew about.
And they better be ready to deal with the devil. That's right, I'm talking about Walmart.
Keep the phones unlocked and just say they work with AT&T and T-Mobile on the box.
Nokia can do what Apple SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
But hey, I'm sure they have a room full of college educated ad execs over there that know how it's done <cough> better than me.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
I think I'll add my 2¢...

oh wait! I don't have 2¢!!!

Omega <-- an Apple fanboi

Your new name is ThreadKiller.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
why the N800 won't kill the N95:
1/ it's too big - the ngage didn't kill their other smartphones either
2/ it doesn't have A2DP
3/ Nokia's internal politics won't let them

however, an N800 with a 3G+GSM module WOULD kill the E90 which I hear is crippled by S60, because although S60 is more developed than the 9xxx predecessor's OSs, it's not suited to a clamsheel with keyboard!

I am hoping that the new Wimax variant of the N800 will give Nokia the chance to fix the video bandwidth hardware design flaw.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Well, tell your homies over there at Nokia that unlike Europe they'll have to actually "work" at getting the word out about their products over here in the US.
That means billboards, radio, television, AND the internet in addition to any other "word-of-mouth" tricks like the excellent S60 flagship store meets that NO ONE outside of the S60 fanbois crowd knew about.
And they better be ready to deal with the devil. That's right, I'm talking about Walmart.
Keep the phones unlocked and just say they work with AT&T and T-Mobile on the box.
Nokia can do what Apple SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
But hey, I'm sure they have a room full of college educated ad execs over there that know how it's done <cough> better than me.
Dude, you are singing my song. But I am constantly assured that We Are Coming Back. In order to do that, your points do have to be taken seriously. We shall see.

Originally Posted by jayakumark View Post
1. Iphone will be killed
HAHHAHAHA yeh right. Why are people so jealous over the iphone? I personally don't own one, and if it gets better with revisions, I might. Apple did what it does best, innovate and implement cool little ideas in a slick design. These ideas will spread into other non apple products, patent willing of course.

Having a GPS built in is forcing you to buy a brand you may not want. I like being able to buy any brand/model that will work with the N800. Same goes with a built in keyboard.

3. May be it can cost around 400$
um, the n800 already costs $400. Unless Nokia adds bluetooth headset support, I don't want it, My Nokia 6230 is small and light and rather carry that than a cell the size of a PDA or N800 in this case.

4. If mass market arrives it will be less than 300$ or even 200$
as much as I love my n800, there will never be a mass market for it, as it stands now.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
1. iPhone will not be killed. Hundreds of thousands of Apple fanbois will see to that.

2. Nokia phone models will continue to sell because Nokia properly MARKETS them, unlike they do with their internet tablet line.

3. It will wind up costing the same as the N95, $750 or more.

4. Mass market will never arrive because Nokia can't figure out how to market anything in the U.S.

5. It won't kill their own nav kit because the same BT GPS receiver can be used with other non-built-in-GPS devices. And they would still be able to sell the software separately.

Nokia dreams they had the type of viral marketing and lock-in that Apple currently does, and that alone is why no device Nokia has - or will have in the foreseeable future - can come close to touching the iPod.
But I will say this...my Nokia N95 has more "connectivity" options/features on my Macbook Pro than the current iPhone does. Talk about pathetic (for Apple).

And wi-max will NEVER take off until every single GSM tower in {insert country here} has it up and running.
1. U might be right..But if nokia does this before iphone reaches other countries in world. It can Happen

I can guarantee you that ,if u go and ask about apple anywhere in asia most of them will ask "Are you talking about fruit" .US is the only market for apple.

Also US is not the only country in the world. Cost is the important factor in asian countries.

Nokia global share is greater than 36% and Asian share is > 70%. Other Manufacturers dont exceed 10% individually.

2,4 Currently They dont have any Very good low cost models. If there is a single handset meeting criteria.it is enough to dominate.
http://www.mobilepundit.com/2005/06/...dels-in-india/
See this link . A little old but worth watching. model 1100 has more than 30% now. so 3 out of 10 u get in india will have this handset. since it costs less than 60$ . It was so succesful that nokia stopped it since it was eating their own high end mobile share.

There are no lock-ins (absolutely 0%) from Mobile Operators in india for GSM Handsets. and i guess this is the same in most asian regions.Whereas in US it is opposite it is nearly 100% so nokia fails there to get in with Biggies of telecom.

5. who needs to spend 250$ on GPS if oyu can get the same embedded in a phone.

3. But again cost is main a factor in other regions.