Yes, PR1.1 definitely has a battery drain bug.

I charged the battery before going to bed, and the next morning it had turned itself off. I was sleeping and not doing anything with the phone, it was JUST idling. No wifi/3G/BT connections. Not anything. Before falling asleep I checked with the top command that nothing was using the cpu too much, but nothing jumped out. All processes we're idle, or using less than 2%.

Normally, pre-update, the N900 would last through a night of idling without impacting the battery at all. Now it was empty.

I'm seriously considering reflashing to the 1.0 or 1.0.1 FW until this is fixed, because PR1.1 is unusable for me now.

I too am experiencing a much faster battery drain then before (my usage has remained constant pre and post PR1.1 update). I would say that I'm probably getting 30% less life per charge now.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by MrThunderfield View Post
I'm seriously considering reflashing to the 1.0 or 1.0.1 FW until this is fixed, because PR1.1 is unusable for me now.
Sorry not possible :|

Just to add a positive note to PR1.1: After updating I have the impression the battery lasts longer (approx. 20h compared to approx. 15h before). Hower this is just a feeling as my usage pattern is very variable. Did one day mainly on WLAN and one day mainly on 3G wih browsing, e-mail some chat and SMS.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Sorry not possible :|
****!

Then, Nokia, PLEASE! Fix this!

Okay, I dunno what exactly did the trick, but uninstalling a few apps and changing the theme back to the default one (blue Nokia N-series, from the maemo.org theme) seems to keep the battery in check. I've had it idling for a few hours without any drain.

Phew.

hmmm that's interesting, what apps did you uninstall exactly? i don't have anything running on the desktop, just a few contact shortcuts and icons for some apps...

i customerized wallpaper and brightness is set to the third level. the only thing i have installed is google-pinyin (for chinese input) and that's about it... i don't see how anything could affect the battery.

connection is set to 2g or 3g but places i go mostly have good 3g signal...

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ The Netherlands
For me, I set my skype account offline and now all is well, still 87% batt. level left after almost 12 hours of using the phone for cals, sms, internet and wifi.

I will try skype again tomorrow, and let you know how it goes.

for now, I love my phone again! :-)

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Austin, TX
Does anyone know that with pre PR.1.1 the Xorg logfile /tmp/Xord.0.log was set to -logverbose? It now is and i have been seeing constant cpu usage at 6%.

Originally Posted by bitziz View Post
hmmm that's interesting, what apps did you uninstall exactly? i don't have anything running on the desktop, just a few contact shortcuts and icons for some apps...

i customerized wallpaper and brightness is set to the third level. the only thing i have installed is google-pinyin (for chinese input) and that's about it... i don't see how anything could affect the battery.

connection is set to 2g or 3g but places i go mostly have good 3g signal...
I really wish I'd remember :P I just began with the ones I didn't really need, or the ones I knew came from devel.

Firefox was one of the apps I remember I uninstalled. I installed it again a few hours ago, and sure enough, I THINK I'm seeing increased drainage again. I'll leave it idling overnight to see if it has drained and get back to you.

BTW, is it normal for hildon-home to use around 20% CPU constantly? It's doing it now and I don't like it!