I've always wanted to use Google mobile web applications as they were designed for the iPhone/iPod Touch but unfortunately Google recognizes the N810 as a full desktop computer because its running a desktop browser. Luckily some smart people here at the forums instructed me how to set up the default web browser to make itself appear as an iPhone, and the results are actually quite nice. Here are some screenshots -

First, what it is really supposed to look like (notice the tabs at the top) -

Home Screen - as you can see the tabs across the top don't show up perfectly and they are squished together, but they still function

Gmail Inbox - Works fine, auto e-mail appearance works as well, no need to refresh the page, your e-mails will appear by themselves

An Open E-mail - renders fine, haven't checked it with images yet but I have no reason to assume that it wouldn't work fine

E-mail Address Auto Complete - works fine, type in a few letters and it will give suggestions just like the desktop version (black bars are mine, sorry!)

Google Calendar - for some reason it was not working for me within the single Google apps page with tabs up top, but it works fine accessing it directly, I was able to pull up a month view, but no appointments appeared

More Google Calendar - here is Gcal functioning fine while accessed directly (calendar.google.com)

Google Reader - Here is a list of my starred items as I had already gone through my reading list, they look almost identical, just wanted to show what a full list looked like

Google Reader - Example of an open reader item, images and everything render fine

Google Docs - Looks fine, though it has some small issues. For some reason you can't finger scroll on the items, you have to use an area which is not a link or just use the scroll bar

Google Docs - They display great, but no the iPhone version doesn't support editing

All in all I'd say the major things are here and they work pretty well. I'll be using this from now on unless there is something I can't do in which case I'll switch back to the desktop version for a just a second. One thing I really like about the whole thing is that you can navigate most of it without the use of the stylus, just your fingers.

Last edited by Benz145; 2008-01-16 at 02:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benz145 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Portugal
yeah, it sure looks better than the regular mobile pages, when browsing using bluetooth and cellphone (2G).

I would like that google would give us a link like "google.com/m" or something so that we could use it without having to keep changing settings in the about:config section of the browser. You say "switch back to the desktop version for just a second", but i'm sure it takes more than that! :P ehehe

Thanks!

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
What would happen if I had the updated iPhone config settings and went to http://docs.google.com? Would I get the iPhone-optimized page by default, or would I be able to choose to view the normal version?

Not that I have any reason to not use the full version at all times, but I guess someone will ask this sooner or later

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Nice, I was bound to try the same thing this weekend, but good to know that its pretty solid so far.

Is this still working for you? I tried it just now with the about:config settings posted in the other thread and I started getting "bad request" error messages from all Google sites.

Thanks

Looks like you can't add attachments in gmail

Yes its still working fine for me, by "switch to the desktop version for a second" I was referring to the fact that at the bottom of most of their app pages you can click "Classic" or "Desktop" and it will give you the regular version without having to undo the browser spoof. I actually haven't undone it yet since I first put it in place. One thing I actually miss from the mobile version is the ability to email Google Reader content, I occasionally email friends when I see something interesting. Oh well, nothing that staring and emailing later won't fix.

The auto-complete function doesn't quite work on the N800 (no hardware keyboard), but it appears that you *can* trick it into working by entering some letters and then hitting the backspace key.

Also, in certain apps, you can end up with frames within frames, I've found. Didn't capture a screenshot.

It would be nice if we had something like the Firefox useragent switcher extension for Microb.

I noticed that the OS2008 User site no longer recognizes that I am using a N800 IT anymore. Of course I don't go there much anyway.

The InternetTabletTalk Main page is just as IT unfriendly as usual.