Active Topics

Poll: How would you like the prize fund bounty split?
Poll Options
How would you like the prize fund bounty split?

Wiki page
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Coding_Competition_1

I dont have the final figures yet but we've collected €650+ (approx $840+) in donations from our awesome community members to pay out as prizes for the coding competition. It's time to decide how that bounty is shared out

Background - we have 6 categories that people have entered their applications into. So the intention is to begin by splitting the bounty equally 6 ways, so each category begins with an equal share of the prize fund. The question is then how that category share is split amongst the winner(s).

Also, Nokia have kindly invited the winner of each category to the MeeGo conference (or substitute a N900 if anyone can't make it). Some have suggested this is enough of a first prize, and the bounty should be split to give more to the runner(s) up.

Ive asked for suggestions on the main competition discussion thread, and have received 3 general ideas back. This is what we're voting on. To begin, each of the 6 categories get their equal share then..

Option 1. 1st place gets 50%, 2nd gets 30%, and 3rd gets the remaining 20% of that share.

Option 2. 2nd place gets 50%, 3rd gets 30%, and 4th gets the remaining 20%. 1st does not get a share of the bounty as Nokia are rewarding the 1st place winner already.

Option 3. 2nd place gets 60%, 3rd gets the remaining 40%. 1st does not get a share of the bounty as Nokia are rewarding the 1st place winner already.

That's your options, please choose

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Please vote, so we can decide. In the end this is an opportunity for you to decide what we will do with your donated money!
The participant coders may also vote, of course!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
The poll is now closed, thank you everyone for taking the time to vote!

The most popular option with 50% of the vote is option 2, so that's what we will use.

"Option 2. 2nd place gets 50%, 3rd gets 30%, and 4th gets the remaining 20%. 1st does not get a share of the bounty as Nokia are rewarding the 1st place winner already."

If for some reason Nokia are unable to supply the prize to the 1st place winner then we will fall back to Option 1, which awards the winner a share of the collected bounty.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
so 40 people decide what to do with reward? Have you any idea how many people are participating in tmo and interested in this pool? I couldnt vote, THIS IS WRONG

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
It does strike me as 'odd' to put up a poll for 24 hours on a Sunday (US) and then close it after one option gets a mere 20 votes. Why not let it run for a few days/a week?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
so 40 people decide what to do with reward? Have you any idea how many people are participating in tmo and interested in this pool? I couldnt vote, THIS IS WRONG
Hi HellFlyer, Im sorry you couldn't vote in time. You were certainly not restricted from doing so and your vote would have been very welcome.

I have a pretty good idea how many people are participating and are interested, thanks for your concern. For example, I sat up all through the night the past week chasing up participants to get the status on late entries, fixing up the everyone's entry and posting them on the voting threads. I started the wiki and it's participation list, and have every day answered emails and PMs from members on here asking questions and for more info. I also started the competition bounty off, and I updated the list with Cosimo as each donation came in. Actually, since I started the competition off I have asked for feedback on sharing the bounty along the way, that was from way back before May 21st. This poll was linked both in the discussion thread and the competition wiki. Im sorry you still were not able to provide your vote, please understand that voting for the winning applications is currently underway and a decision had to be made asap.

I'm also sorry that you are left with the feeling that the poll was not carried out correctly. If you would like to discuss the donation you have made, please PM me but I am not able to find your username on the list of donators. If you would like to discuss your competition entry also please PM me, although again I cannot find it on the list of participants.

If you would like to get more involved in the project please let me know, as I have 24 emails to reply to and 47 personal messages to send out tonight before I get my dinner and I'm pretty hungry right now

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
It does strike me as 'odd' to put up a poll for 24 hours on a Sunday (US) and then close it after one option gets a mere 20 votes. Why not let it run for a few days/a week?
Hi silvermountain, everything is explained in the competition discussion thread. The organisers were under the impression that the bounty share had been decided, it was then reviewed following feedback from the participants and community, options were discussed, and it was decided to run a poll for 24 hours - as this is a matter that should really have been decided before the competition had entered voting. No objections were given at the time, and none were given during the polling period.

It would not make any sense to run the poll for a few days/a week as voting for the winning applications closes on Friday.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
This poll was too short! It is crazy to put up a poll whit less than 24 h. I read.. think it was in the wiki or the thread that the the bounty would be split as the option 1 represents now. Did not expect this vote.

Edit: And the bounty does not need to be payed at once the voting ends. It could easy have been up for a week.

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-07-26 at 19:58.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
This poll was too short! It is crazy to put up a poll whit less than 24 h. I read.. think it was in the wiki or the thread that the the bounty would be split as the option 1 represents now. Did not expect this vote.
Would probably have been on the thread, the wiki was left purposely vague until this was decided, e.g. "The bounty share out will be decided by a forum poll."

Edit: And the bounty does not need to be payed at once the voting ends. It could easy have been up for a week.
I could have easily set it up for 7 days, but it would have resorted in a situation where the winners were already decided and voters would have been choosing which option would give them more prize money. The idea is ludicrous. The longer the voting went on, the more obvious the pattern of winners in each category would appear which is why it needed to be a shorter poll.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
..it would have resorted in a situation where the winners were already decided and voters would have been choosing which option would give them more prize money.
Yeah, that is the purpose of a poll. When i vote i want to give the winner the best prize. And it wouldn't matter if it continued for a week. Everyone still just have one vote.

By making it a quick poll it will give less chance for people to vote. Thus making it less democratic. And increase the chance of an option not represented by the community to win.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:

Tags
bounty, competition, sharing, voting