Active Topics

Poll: How would you like the prize fund bounty split?
Poll Options
How would you like the prize fund bounty split?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Hi silvermountain, everything is explained in the competition discussion thread. The organisers were under the impression that the bounty share had been decided, it was then reviewed following feedback from the participants and community, options were discussed, and it was decided to run a poll for 24 hours - as this is a matter that should really have been decided before the competition had entered voting. No objections were given at the time, and none were given during the polling period.

It would not make any sense to run the poll for a few days/a week as voting for the winning applications closes on Friday.
I do, personally, believe that not having this decided upon way upstream does not justify a rushed and poorly planned 24 hour poll - if anything it makes things worse.

That there were no objections given during the time of the poll may very well be due to the fact that it lasted 24 hours...

I also don't see the issue in letting the poll continue after the competition ends. It's an unorthodox situation to be in for sure but adding poor management decisions on top of each other doesn't make the situation better either.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

What kojacker means is, that every category winner would vote for option 1, every 2nd place winner would vote for option 3 etc.

This should really have been decided a long time ago. But kojacker was asking in the competition thread and got no reply. So this poll was a quick fix because some people started to care.

So stop nagging... you've had the time to have your say and missed it. Which option would you vote? Would it change the result? I don't think so.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by lukash View Post
What kojacker means is, that every category winner would vote for option 1, every 2nd place winner would vote for option 3 etc.
That is not entirely true. And as the voting already have started would be as big of a problem now as if this poll would have gone on longer. Maybe the 20 voters int this poll had voted for the second placers?

By making it 24h it lessened the chance for the majority of the community to vote. Thus the bounty was chosen by a minority. Not democratically.

I 100% agree with you. I don't post much on forum, but I do read almost every posts and some of these people only like to come here and complaint about everything. I don't see them putting up their time and effort to start something as great as you did. So keep up what you doing (cause you know what you are doing) and ignore the rest.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Would probably have been on the thread, the wiki was left purposely vague until this was decided, e.g. "The bounty share out will be decided by a forum poll."

I could have easily set it up for 7 days, but it would have resorted in a situation where the winners were already decided and voters would have been choosing which option would give them more prize money. The idea is ludicrous. The longer the voting went on, the more obvious the pattern of winners in each category would appear which is why it needed to be a shorter poll.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qt4eva For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qt4eva View Post
I 100% agree with you. I don't post much on forum, but I do read almost every posts and some of these people only like to come here and complaint about everything. I don't see them putting up their time and effort to start something as great as you did. So keep up what you doing (cause you know what you are doing) and ignore the rest.
I want to point out that i am not critical for the contest or kojackers work. He have been awesome! But i am very keen on formality and democracy. That is my problem with this poll.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
In my opinion the best option has won... the first place get already the best price. 30€ more or not if you get invited by Nokia including flight and hotel? Ridiculous!
Give this 30€ the second place... and let something for place 3 and 4 to motivate them to keep going and working that you ranting people get more applications.

But my opinion doesn't matter. Kojacker is the initiator of this great coding competition. I'm a participant and would always be fine if he has done this decision alone without asking the community.

If you have donated $200, okay. Say how your 200 bucks should get spread. I'm sure, we will create a special rule for this. I will make the calculations. In the other way, you can ask a specific programmer for his paypal account to give exactly only him your donation.

Or what about organizing the next coding competition and spent 2 Months of your spare time instead of ranting about a 24h poll you hadn't the chance to vote for. This questions was already asked many hours before this poll gets started in the development section. Why haven't you subscribed this thread to get a daily mail?

When you're so important... Why don't you visit talk.maemo.org several times a day?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Thanks all for your feedback, yes all of it - good and bad! lol

I've sent a quick pm to all the people on my donation list (except myself and Mr Anonymous, ofcourse!) just to test the mood on this decision. If it comes back favorable then I really dont have a problem with this decision or poll- it has to be decided sometime, it might as well be now.

My main concern is to be fair to those who have donated their hard earned money into the fund rather than pleasing the community as a whole, I'll be honest about that. And if the general feeling coming back is not favorable to the result then let's all work together to get something we can all broadly agree on, deal?

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
I can live with that kojacker

And Helex.. I am pretty much stuck over this forums.. hardly ever leaves it. Just take a look on the amount of my post. For me it is not important who the winner of this poll was. It is how it was done. And yes, i didn't feel i got the chance to vote even though i spend many hours going through this forum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
And Helex.. I am pretty much stuck over this forums.. hardly ever leaves it.
Sorry, my reply and angry sentiment was not specially against you. It was rather against the first 2 rants about this poll. I haven't seen both of them contribution in any way to the coding competition and I had a bad minute writing this post. (okay, the second moment this evening I'm missing a Angel smiley)

Edit: Okay, here you have:

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2010-07-26 at 21:51. Reason: Angel Smiley added

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
I offered the money into the pot because it was a community run competition.
I am not against Nokia offering other prizes but this should not effect the pot as collected by community.
If I had been entering the competition as announced finding out that a cash prize was not on offer would be rather frustrating.
I think the non-monetary prizes should be an added incentive and do not mind the money and trip/N900 going to the overall winner of each on top of a some prize money.

I would have chosen Option 1 had I seen the poll.

Last edited by lcuk; 2010-07-26 at 22:27. Reason: A -> 1

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:

Tags
bounty, competition, sharing, voting