Posts: 45 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ FrozenOver
Hello, I am new but have been reading and looking for files to download ie flasher and firmware but does not seem to be good archive of files around almost all links are bad or information is incomplete.

main reason why I am posting and I apologize to mods if this is not right place for this post. I just got a Brand new Nokia N900 from Hong Kong. It will not power on. I dont know if it needs to be on fully to charge. ac adapter and another usb cable would not keep the yellow charge light blinking. get the micro usb B connector half way installed to n900 usb B port the charge light flashes then goes away. both ac adapter and cable works fine with my jabra cruiser 2 but n900 no go.
I tried the usb computer cable cord that came with the phone and hooked it up to the computer it gets the yellow charge light blinking constantly fully plugged in. charge light blinks away with one specific cable for half hour then turns off no green light or other color. If I unplug the cable plug it back in it will blink away for half hour then stop.

I read someone recommended flashing the n900 but when I hold u button and plug the usb cable in nothing happens.

raised dispute on ebay about it being defective. anyone have any suggestions or is this thing DOA toast.

also if anyone knows of a good place to get flash files I would be greatfull.

appreciate any help

Last edited by mrapathy; 2014-03-07 at 22:49.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
As far as firmware and the necessary flashers .....you'll have to post it and ask around here..and get it from a fellow member ...for the time being anyway.
Concerning your problems with the device itself...
Not that you will enjoy hearing it buuuutttt...
I'd hazard that you haven't really read through the forums here on the problems with these n900's from asia ...have you?
In my humble opinion you should have come to the forums 1st ...posted some questions regarding the asian knockoffs ...and asked some folks whether it was a good idea 1st. I would have been one of the many voices trying to dissuade you from purchasing the fraudulent device.
Even the seeming best auctions on say...ebay ...you have to be cautious that you are going to get a fully functioning n900 with usb port intact....let alone the slew of other possible probs that a legit device may have over time that isn't mentioned by the seller.
But most certainly these "brand new" n900's from asia tend to be nice casing with nothing but problems inside.
Nobody else has said it yet ...and I really hate to but I think you were taken....the buy and sell here at maemo.org has genuine users with genuine devices for sale ...them you can trust...your fellow members...they won't steer you wrong....elsewhere you take your chances with sellers you don't know....who don't care about their reputation or their standing with fellow members like we do here.
My best suggestion at this point would be...grab a camera....take the back off the n900 and take some nice detailed photos...post them here...and lets see what the insides look like.....there are a few people here that know exactly what may have been tampered with or what internals have been replaced with phoney parts or parts actually made for other devices.....and then take it from there...that is the best I can suggest.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-03-06 at 05:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
thanks for replying. the seller had a good rep. I have read about NOKLA knockoffs but never saw the N900 mentioned. that said my reading load lately has been a little heavy been working on a neglected open moko neo freerunner with bad battery.

the N900 I got was in a nice box the manual was a bit beat otherwise the phone looks brand new had protective plastic on the camera and back of the lcd compartment. I am in dispute with the seller at the moment and dont want to take it apart not that I dont have the tools and information to do that. Doing another search looks like I didnt search hard enough.

I have previously bought some Sony Ericsson w810i's from Hong Kong with good results.

I am well aware of the usb port problem hard to read this website and not notice it.

doing some more searching and reading. the box looks legit the tag on it is different than one posted in this forum but not too suspisious. it came with a AC-10U ac adapter and the computer usb cable looks legit. If it was a knock off I doubt someone would go out of theyre way to get official accessories then again the AC-10U is made in china though the USB computer cable says its made in Thailand. Battery has the hologram though seen lots of chinese knockoffs on ebay though dont know if they have some around with hologram nokia stickers with serial number.

I am frustrated thats for sure. wonder if this brick would work for Neo900. One reason why I am interested in Nokia N900, upgrade coming though learning what I have I wonder about the battery life of a Neo900.

Last edited by mrapathy; 2014-03-06 at 06:56.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ CA, USA
Originally Posted by mrapathy View Post
thanks for replying. the seller had a good rep. I have read about NOKLA knockoffs but never saw the N900 mentioned. that said my reading load lately has been a little heavy been working on a neglected open moko neo freerunner with bad battery.

the N900 I got was in a nice box the manual was a bit beat otherwise the phone looks brand new had protective plastic on the camera and back of the lcd compartment. I am in dispute with the seller at the moment and dont want to take it apart not that I dont have the tools and information to do that. Doing another search looks like I didnt search hard enough.

I have previously bought some Sony Ericsson w810i's from Hong Kong with good results.

I am well aware of the usb port problem hard to read this website and not notice it.

doing some more searching and reading. the box looks legit the tag on it is different than one posted in this forum but not too suspisious. it came with a AC-10U ac adapter and the computer usb cable looks legit. If it was a knock off I doubt someone would go out of theyre way to get official accessories then again the AC-10U is made in china though the USB computer cable says its made in Thailand.

I am frustrated thats for sure. wonder if this brick would work for Neo900. One reason why I am interested in Nokia N900, upgrade coming though learning what I have I wonder about the battery life of a Neo900.
NokLa? Is that like a chinese knockoff or a typo? Because it seems pretty obvious that it's a fake if it's not made by Nokia. And people put real cables and stuff to make it seem better than it is (I have bought fake phones before, it sucks, I know).

I need some extra space for cloud storage. Help me get some! (You get some too)

The Following User Says Thank You to Shadwblade2652 For This Useful Post:
not a type and I believe that is chinese knockoff though I didnt read that N900 was among them. thought I read about NokLa searching around talk.maemo.org. you never heard of NokLa? or you forget the sarcastic smiley?

I wonder if this is karma hitting me for getting a used se w810i for less than $10 including shipping sold as water damaged spare parts missing the battery door and coming with a dead battery then turning out to be fully functional with a good battery.

Last edited by mrapathy; 2014-03-06 at 07:03.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ CA, USA
Originally Posted by mrapathy View Post
not a type and I believe that is chinese knockoff though I didnt read that N900 was among them. thought I read about NokLa searching around talk.maemo.org. you never heard of NokLa? or you forget the sarcastic smiley?

I wonder if this is karma hitting me for getting a used se w810i for less than $10 including shipping sold as water damaged spare parts missing the battery door and coming with a dead battery then turning out to be fully functional with a good battery.
I've only bought 1 unlocked nokia (The others were from AT&T), and it works fine, and isn't fake. So, I've never really seen many fake Nokias (although there's no doubt in my mind that they exist)

I need some extra space for cloud storage. Help me get some! (You get some too)

The problem might be that the phone if faulty and you are out of luck, or that the battery has gone absolutely flat or is faulty and won't charge because of that.

You could try to charge the battery on external charger or compatible nokia dumbphone. Or try to search the forum for other solutions on flat or faulty battery problems. If you have multimeter (voltmeter) you could check if the battery is good. Removing the battery does not require tools and is meant to be done by the user as the sim-card holder is under the battery.

I dont have a external charger yet.

The box and phone has id's that claim to be made in Finland and after research it sounds like some N900's were made in Finland but I believe the bulk were made in South Korea.

I dont have firmware and not sure completely on flashing but the phone doesnt respond when having battery installed and plugging the usb cable in while holding the U key.

outside of tearing into this phone I dont believe there is much difference from a fake and real deal externally.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
You don't have to tear into the phone.
If you are lucky it is simply the battery.
The slider on the side allows the back cover to pop off.
Take off the back .
Take out the battery.
Even if there was nothing wrong with your device you would end up doing this anyway eventually.
Sooner than you think.
Set the phone on it's face.
Take good close up pictures with a camera.
Upload them here.
It will be obvious to some...possibly many here if it has been tampered ...is a flat out fake...or is genuine.

If you want more than speculation we will need something more concrete to work with.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Here are some pics got 1 more. only had a 2mp camera phone to take them with.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to mrapathy For This Useful Post: