Active Topics

Poll: Will keep it until . . .
Poll Options
Will keep it until . . .

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Ipswich, Uk
As ive written in another thread, my n900 is in near pristine condition, but come the first of june as long as 3 mobile honour my contract I should have a SGS3 in my hands.. the N900 has one main thing that makes me want to keep it and thats the qwerty slide out key board, its just fantastic. But I just can't be doing with the waiting for apps to open and stuff like that. the world has moved on and the S3 is blinding fast compared. things just work quicker and it does what it says on the tin. So my N900 will move on via ebay and im sure will make someone very happy but for me I need to move with the times.

Loz.

Audiophile real hi end hifi lover: Revolver Rebel turntable Ortofon CMBPRO stylus, Arcam FMJ MS250 Media server, Krell KRC-2 Analogue pre amp, DENON UDRA-70 sub amp, Harmon Kardon EQ8 eq.
ECS EA1 mono block amps x2, Tannoy M3, Tannoy ST50 super tweeters.
Tannoy 625 Alfie Sub, Revo iblik Wifi reflashed now with DAB. Pure Sound

Dont steal, the govenment hates the compitition.

www.vacrite.co.uk

Me bro. I'll keep it until it COMPLETELY BRAKE.. I have an Iphone 4S in my hand, but honestly i occasionally using my N900 to take macro picture or somethin'. I love the way a camera works, and have an excellent detail. Not to mention about using it to clean and erase unwanted or even virus on my friends flash drive.. Personally i can still do a lot of fun stuff with this Great Machine I'll keep it till i die, and make it as my collection in my own museum 30 or 40 years letter..

Last edited by batarawatson; 2012-05-27 at 04:55.

I loved and hated it both....Sold it in a week I bought my Nokia N9...I miss my Nokia N900 sometimes!!!

i love my n900 i hope it will naver die... i dont like any other phone i like this mini laptop my work so eassy with N900

i also purchased a second n900 as a backup, just so i wouldnt have to get rid of it as my primary phone if mine breaks and they are no longer on ebay, i may end up picking up like 3-4 more for parts ones off ebay. I dont think there will ever be a phone like this again. Nothing even comes close to the openness.

Right now I use my backup n900 to play around with pwnphone and pentesting, which is a good side use for it, that wont cause it to break as quick as my daily use one (i play with it maybe 2 times a week)
please check out pwnphone, its pretty sweet: http://pwnieexpress.com/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pwnphone/files/
is the latest community edition download.

http://pwnieexpress.com/support/pwnp...ty_install.txt
install instructions.

http://www.pwnieexpress.com/pdfs/pwnphonemanual.pdf
manual

http://www.pwnieexpress.com/phone_screens.html
ss to get a feel for what is installed, its listed in manual too with numbered icons.

keep in mind its still maemo running, its just a backedup custom image, so you can mess with easy debian, or bt5 (i am gonna play with bt5 on it next, or maybe easy debian since i already got bt5 working on my phone n900), or anything you can put on reg n900

oh and i also have a lumia 800 i got from nokia free, ill probably give it to someone else as its euro version and i cant sell it on clist. I have no use for a winmo phone, since i now have a micropc vaio ux280p... which is also pretty awesome for mobile pentesting and no longer need to use the lumia for netflix.

we can totally keep it a viable phone for a long time in the future also, as long as we still have some stockpile or access to hardware. The software can all be kept up to date by the community. I hope someone has been backing up the repos right along is all.

edit one last time-

anyone that might win a n950 in the upcoming events.... if you dont want it, or already have one, i would be SUPER excited to trade lumia 800 for it, id probly throw in some cash too. It was a dev gift, so it was prior to the release of the USA ones and has UK/Int freqs, although im told they should work for 3g in some areas of atts network.

it does wcdma 900/1900/2100 so if your local ATT does, i think its 1900, it will work. I have no problem shipping internationally either. I would be willing to trust anyone in this community that wins an n950.

Last edited by moisturerichsoy; 2012-05-27 at 16:05. Reason: added note about community at bottom, and more pwnphone info

The Following User Says Thank You to moisturerichsoy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Berkshire UK
I'm not a frequenter to these forums, but found this thread interesting!

My N900 has a broken usb port (which I'm sure is out of warranty to fix), so I charge a set of rechargeables, which suit me fine.

I'm guessing from some of the replies here, that nokia have definitely canned any future maemo-platform phones - is that right?

At the moment any other phone just seems like a step-down at this point.

The Following User Says Thank You to Duncan J Murray For This Useful Post:
4th option should have been : I'll take it in grave with me

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by batarawatson View Post
I'll keep it till i die, and make it as my collection in my own museum 30 or 40 years letter..
Wow, how are you planning to do stuff AFTER you die?

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
The N900 is still a significant step in the evolution in pocket computers for me and that why i know my original N900 will always be with me.

Now i have accrued one more, redkarma is out of the N900 scene so his N900 is going to be my Extra N900 to experiment with, already have many plans

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Duncan J Murray View Post
I'm not a frequenter to these forums, but found this thread interesting!

My N900 has a broken usb port (which I'm sure is out of warranty to fix), so I charge a set of rechargeables, which suit me fine.

I'm guessing from some of the replies here, that nokia have definitely canned any future maemo-platform phones - is that right?

At the moment any other phone just seems like a step-down at this point.
Have your USB port fixed. My first N900 had a that happened, not under Nokia warranty, but under SquareTrade warranty (third party). They helped me locate an authorized Nokia repair shop which fixed it for $70, which they paid of course. But, I would pay it out of my pocket just to have my N900 still with me. And it is still going strong.

I have dropped it, I have kicked it, and in many ways abused it, but through it all I am still amazed by it.

I should probably buy a new case for it. On the other hand, I like how non-iPhoney it looks.

PS: Oh yeah, I have a second N900 as backup as well. I am in for the long haul. I am almost sure I will be one of the last N900 users one day, maybe the last one.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2012-05-28 at 13:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, trailing edge