Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 1,260 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Poland
Renaming sheets from Format->Sheet->Rename is not available under Maemo 5 port, because it's using statusbar to change a sheet name.
If you want to rename a sheet, you should open the Sheet Manager (Ctrl+M), double tap on a fourth column of the sheet table (it will be a empty space next to "Sheet1" or similar), type a new name for a sheet, tap on sth else in the table and click the "Apply Name Changes" button.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by arcean View Post
Renaming sheets from Format->Sheet->Rename is not available under Maemo 5 port, because it's using statusbar to change a sheet name.
If you want to rename a sheet, you should open the Sheet Manager (Ctrl+M), double tap on a fourth column of the sheet table (it will be a empty space next to "Sheet1" or similar), type a new name for a sheet, tap on sth else in the table and click the "Apply Name Changes" button.
For me this solution does not work as there is only three columns. The table ends immediately after the name of the sheet. I tried to double tap the area after the name in a case that the fourth column is very narrow but no luck...

The Following User Says Thank You to tplastic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tplastic View Post
For me this solution does not work as there is only three columns. The table ends immediately after the name of the sheet. I tried to double tap the area after the name in a case that the fourth column is very narrow but no luck...
I'll try to redesign the Sheet Manager while implementing the "Launch page" (feature request #6699).
As of scrolling - it's hard to implement it without breaking compatibility with upstream, i.e. too many changes in important parts of application. I've added scroling (not kinetic one) in the "internal build" , but the results aren't so good. Scrolling is simply not smooth - the sheet moves only column by column, not by pixel.

gnumeric has an advantage over other spreadsheets that rarely gets dicussed, but that I would think would be a prime consideration in spreadsheet selection: numerical accuracy.

The following two articles compare excel and gnumeric for use in statistical analyses. "Fixing Statistical Errors in Spreadsheet Software: The Cases of Gnumeric and Excel", http://www.csdassn.org/software_reports/gnumeric.pdf and "On the accuracy of statistical procedures in Microsoft Excel 2003", http://arc.nucapt.northwestern.edu/~.../sdarticle.pdf

Since all non-trivial software has bugs, I think that it is noteworthy that the response of gnumeric developers to notification of numeric bugs is to fix them.

The following article takes on matlab and other software in addition to excel: "How Futile are Mindless Assessments of Roundoff in Floating-Point Computation ?", http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/Mindless.pdf

The above article does not mention gnumeric, but the table at the top of page 3 makes it very easy to compare roundoff among various spreadsheets. If you try the examples from that table with the spreadsheet from open office, you will see that it has most of the same errors as excel. The results from gnumeric are all correct.

And gnumeric runs on more platforms than excel and almost as many as open office.

Last edited by j.s; 2011-02-17 at 01:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Really looking forward to this getting into extras-testing!
Is there some way I can add this project to a favourites or something, so I am emailed when it does shift into testing?

Just wonder when the updated version will be ready for download. I understand the developer has updated v. 1.10.12.2 to a newer version since more than a month ago.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Mainz, Germany
It has been available in extras-devel since end of November, and I haven't seen gnumeric in any other fremantle repository. So you'll have to enable extras-devel to download gnumeric (usual warnings apply for devel repository).

I have been using this version on my N900 for some months and it runs fine -- no problems so far.

But I agree with Djonma: It would be a good idea to get it into extras-testing and extras eventually.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
A very useful app and unlike other mobile spreadsheets, it does not cut back on features. i currently use gnumeric in association with dropN900 to manage my spending from mobile/laptop/work.

One small problem is, it's not able to handle my xlsx files. Any way to import xlsx?

Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
One small problem is, it's not able to handle my xlsx files. Any way to import xlsx?
Hmm, they should work. Which version of MS Office do you have? And, of course, you have tried to open xlsx files via open dialog?

ps. Gnumeric finally landed it Extras-testing .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arcean For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Mainz, Germany
Thanks for putting gnumeric into extras-testing, already voted for it.

There are some dependencies for package gnumeric: libgoffice-0-8, libgoffice-0-8-common, and libgsf

They are also in extras-testing now. Will we need to vote for them as well to be promoted to extras?

Tags
spreadsheet