Notices

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Hyderabad, India
I also couldn't install using app manager. It says "package not found"
so i downloaded the deb from here "http://deb.opera.com/maemo/pool/non-free/o/opera-mobile/" and installed it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avinashsonee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
Great!! Opera is my favourite browser. On my pc Opera is default browser and in my N73 I use opera mini.Now in N900 this is great news.Lets hope that there will be a official release.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
The Diablo install of Opera Mobile does have a 14Meg footprint which feels a tad much. Will try to see if it can be 'justified'
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Opera = best browser in the world!

I want to thank you opera people personally! Thank you!

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Wow - you've really made my day!

This is the first decent alternative to the built-in browser for the N900 I've seen. It's really fast. Seems faster at displaying the previous page too (and, thank god, it's got a proper Back button instead of that fancy shmanzy Visual History that's pointless most of the time).

Love the single-tap zooming and tabs. I also find the virtual keyboard much more usable than the built-in one (for the purpose of entering urls and search terms at least). Also really like the safari 3-style progress indicator in the address bar.

These were just my first impressions after a few minutes playing with it. I'm sure I'll find a pile of bugs afterwards But first impressions is what matters the most. It's so rare to find a piece of software on Maemo that makes you go wow straight away from both the UI and the functionality perspective that you deserve a big praise here.

Really hope that this won't become an abandoned experiment and that you'll keep making this even better.

Edit: just noticed that the virtual keyboard works in portrait mode too! Boy, I'd be happy to pay for this thing if it wasn't free.

Last edited by mehdiE; 2010-05-11 at 08:06.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mehdiE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
oh men i love using browser as fast as this... plus, the virtual keyboard in portrait mode.... Opera rocks.. i hope the will enable the flash on the future updates...

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by avinashsonee View Post
I also couldn't install using app manager. It says "package not found"
so i downloaded the deb from here "http://deb.opera.com/maemo/pool/non-free/o/opera-mobile/" and installed it.
That one didn't fix the setting issues either, it's all same. Strange that you couldn't install from the lab page i had no problem with it.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 280 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I have a quick attempt at a workaround for the not saving settings issue. From a terminal window run:
Code:
rm -rf /home/user/.opera
mkdir -p /home/user/.opera/ds
We are working on a fix, though we can't reproduce it on any of the devices we have here in the office, so it may take a while.

In the meantime, if those of you who experience the problem would PM me the following info (before doing the workaround above!) it would help us greatly:
- Output from running
Code:
echo $HOME
- Output from running
Code:
ls -la /home/user/.opera

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ahockersten For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Hyderabad, India
Yep. Virtual Keyboard in portrait mode rocks. opera :-*

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
Working great , very fast.But one problem - takes too much processing power.Processor runs @600 mhz maximum time.

Tags
fast browser, opera