Active Topics

Mine goes warm now and then.always has done.pretty randomly. Not blisteringly hot but just a bit warm compared to normal.
As an update to the battery thing.cleared ram this morning and kept data off and Barry wad at 99.about 4 hours later it went down by just 3 percent.that's more like it,BUT used to get about that on GB with data turned on. Plus in the past few minutes it's already gone down by 3 since turning data back on to write this.

Just another quick update on the battery front.
At about 4.20pm the battery was on 79% on the way home from work. That was not bad. I turned data connection off after lunch again and it hardly moved. So my conclusion is that the data connection must be taking about 10 times the power to run than it did previously. ( yes, all very scientific I know lol)

20% down over roughly 8 and a half hours. And about 15% of that was in one half hour period.

At least this is the case on my Note, so possibly for some others too. I wonder what can be using so much power on the data connection now though? Just looked again and still at 79% now because I haven't turned data on still. I'll try just using wifi for the rest of the day now and see how that drains.

No its not the data connection.

You have so many processes running in the background (some for Android, some for Google, some for Samsung, some for your Syncs, some for Apps)... and they all add up.

The problem is, after your device Sleeps, most of these prosses must stop running. Not immediately, but after 2-3 mins they will. And only a handful should be working (radio status) or only working in bursts of intervals (for instance for 2mins running for every 30mins).

This is called "Deep Sleep", self-explanatory. The reason the iPhone has better battery life than ANY single android phone (with similar battery/modules) is because Apple controls the software entirely. They've "perfected" the efficiency of the software towards the user.

This is not the case with Android when each tasks is fighting against one-another in any state; which leads to prolonged use of the ram, processor, radios... pretty much the entire SoC. Ie, android is inferior to iOS because it is less effecient... and half the fault is by the OEMs.

Gingerbread-NOTE has a good effeciency/working Deep Sleep. Most of the ics kernels/roms (inc. Samsung Official) have difficulty entering Deep Sleep. So you end up using alot of battery without doing anything.

I used to go from 90% to 85% with phone "Sleep" for about 6 hours in Gingerbread. After "upgrading" I would lose the equal amount in about 20 minutes. Now I'm using Thorv15 and AOKPb40 (and its mostly patched up)... I lose it in about 1.5 hours. So its still not as good as Gingerbread but much better than the buggy ICS ROMs... and Frankly I think it will improve a little more as it matures further maybe even to the 3 hour mark I'm hoping to reach.

Though remember, not every NOTE is created equal... and what you put in it, and how you use it will create mountains of differences.

I'm flattered

Did the turning off data again this morning and only lost 1% up to lunch time.not bad. List another 2 just turning on and navigating to here lol. So I did turn on wifi last night and it was draining battery bit much less than when data is on.
So from my extremely scientific methods I can now present conclusive proof that the data connection is a bit funny lol.

On my note anyway this seems to be the big battery drain.if you are having issues try it.just leave data off until you need it. That's what I'm going to do for now at least until there's a proper fix or I will try one of the roms mentioned to see if it's better. Thank you for the excellent guiIde kangal.I will probably try one out at the weekend.

PS gone down another 3 just from writing this

The reason there's a difference with Airplane/Data mode ON/OFF. Is because that state affects "sync" of most (if not all) of those background tasks.

And the kernel "forces" them to pause, allowing Android to go into Deep Sleep and save you battery. I can confirm this is the case with my one too.

However Airplane mode isn't really a solution for most people so you sort of need to put up with it. Like I said slowly the memory leaks are being discovered and patched, so a better performing kernel shouldn't be too long away (hoping).

Unfortunately, I cannot code for kernels. Its really really difficult to do so (correctly, unlike half of android kernel devs). I say the kernel is the most important part of your custom firmware, followed by your rom (higher order operations), then radio (patched from oem), then drivers (rarely ever improved).

I'm beginning to slowly understand Linus, and appreciate what they've (not him individually, but part of his group) achieved. Version 3.5 can't get here any sooner, or ARMopenSUSE v12.2

I'm flattered

Ahh I see what you're saying.because I turned data off it stops certain processes from activating at all.some of them could be the culprits. I kind of thought it would be more like that than just the data connection all by it's self.
When I'm saying data connection I just mean internet data.not phone and SMS data.I'm still using those.just in case anyone is wondering.

So I should be looking for an alternative kernel if I wanted to try something out then? I'll probably end up not doing anything at all being my lazy self.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Israel
My only complaint about this phone is the Recording From Radio which results in MONO and a strange file format called ".3ga". Is there a workaround on this? Can keep the file format but just make it STEREO, is there a custom rom dealing with this perhaps?

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
I think 5.5in may be too much.

There's room for improvement by shaving the bezel, but increasing the screen size means the width (83mm) will also increase, possibly to 84-85mm. That's my biggest complaint with the NOTE, its width size. To me its workable, but slap on the TPU-cover and it becomes 86mm and about 11mm thick... which impedes my large (solo-hand) grip over the device.

If they do increase it to 5.5inches, they must shave the bezel, square off the sides, shave down the dimensions to under 9mm. And shaving the top/bottom bezels would be ideal too (Samsung your logo goes to the back).

I'm guessing Samsung will make an incremental upgrade for NOTE 2:
- Jelly Bean + TouchWizz
- 1.5GHz Quadcore A9 (same as sGs3)
- 2GB RAM (possibly slightly OC'd cpu and gpu)
- 1280x800 resolution, SAMOLED +
- Slightly updated "pebble" design
- On-screen buttons (S Pen compatible)

I think I'll stick to the original NOTE, thank you.

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
ICS is less efficient than Gingerbread, I've noticed.
-There is equal "warming" of the device on both, something which should've been patched with ICS. Its a kernel issue, AOSP roms don't suffer as much.
-GB goes into Deep Sleep nearly instantly. There's so many things interacting with the ICS kernel and keeps it "sleeping but running background tasks". Issues are only now getting sorted.
-Battery life is great with GB, not so much with ICS: deep sleep issue, possible memory leakage.
-Stability ofcourse is near perfect on GB, though quite a few annoying little quirks with ICS ROMs

... is it still worth upgrading?
I'd say yes. The little issues are nearly all kernel issues (Samsung rushed ics for the note, while they concentrated hard on ICSgS3). They are getting identified and fixed, and these issues don't affect all users.

Anyways if you are coming from stock ICS (samsung) here's the files and guides:
-Download a TouchWizz-based kernel that is SAFE. It must be for Odin (tar file).
Franco r5, SpeedMod K3-5, or GL_NOTECORE (New!).
-Download Odin v3.185
-Download and Install Kies on your PC, or find the "USB Drivers for Samsung Devices".
Back-Up Phase #1:
-- Back up all your media to your PC (movies, videos, photos, pictures, documents, music, voice recordings, etc etc)
-- Back up contacts (Sync to Google Services, or use the App), Back up sms (install to phone), Back up Call logs(install to phone), Back up APN-optional-(install on phone).
-- Copy the files created by the Back Up Apps to your external sdcard/pc

- Now you put phone to Download Mode (Hold Home, Vol Dwn and Power)
- Quit Kies, Run Odin from PC
- Insert cable phone<>pc
- Odin should identify your phone (Com something comes up, first box lights up Yellow)
- Click on "PDA" and select your .TAR file (which is your safe ics kernel)
- Hit Start, and let Odin do its magic.
- Your phone will automatically reboot (takes 2 mins), if it hangs on bootloop remove the battery and turn phone on normally

- Everything should work and you should NOT have lost your Media, Apps, Personal Files (contacts, logs, sms, apn).
- You should have "Superuser" or "SU" App installed
- You may have "CWM" App installed too, otherwise you should have custom recovery without the app
- Install Titanium Back up (Allow "Superuser" rights)
- Backup your Apps with Data with Titanium Backup
- Keep a copy of this Titanium Backup folder, the Back up files (calls etc) in your PC/external sdcard
- Back up your EFS by downloading the "EFS PRO v1.8.3" and running it on your PC
- Finally you want to enter your custom recovery (Hold Home, Vol Up, Power)
- Then make a Nandroid Backup
- Keep all these files safe in your sdcard and PC (nandroid backup folder, EFS file, Titanium backup folder, files from Backup Apps for call, contacts, sms, apn, any other personal/media files you treasure)

First time, total process might take you upto 30min hour (reading, understanding, following step by step, double checking etc etc). Afterwards, whole process would take you 5mins tops.

And after that, if you want to experiment further etc etc revisit this "To Do List" I posted previously, starting from Step D.
Man I do not know how to thank you! Your post is so helpfull. I really apreciate your help. Huge thanks to you pal!

Tags
android, galaxy note