Posts: 124 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Edmonton Canada
This according to this doc from Nokia:

http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/10159...0-f-11-pdf.pdf

"MeeGo: A Linux-based, open source software platform. Under our new strategy, MeeGo has become an open-source, mobile operating system project with an emphasis on longer-term market exploration of next-generation devices, platforms and user experiences."

and

"MeeGo has become an open-source, mobile operating system project with an emphasis on longer-term market exploration of next-generation devices, platforms and user experiences. We aim to bring a variety of innovations that emerge from our MeeGo program as well as learnings from the Nokia N9 to future products."

Sounds to me like it's still alive within Nokia with a focus on future products.. When did Nokia actually claim MeeGo was dead?

The Following User Says Thank You to slashd0t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
N9 was supposed to be the flag ship of new series of phones, AFAIR. Then something happened and Nokia changed to MS and WP. If somebody cares to elaborate on the change of strategy, I'd appreciate it too.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Edmonton Canada
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
N9 was supposed to be the flag ship of new series of phones, AFAIR. Then something happened and Nokia changed to MS and WP. If somebody cares to elaborate on the change of strategy, I'd appreciate it too.
The short term strategy is windows phone, but, I'm not sure that it is their long term strategy.. No one really knows, but, I think it's pre-mature to call MeeGo actually dead..

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
It is dead because even if they have a long term strategy with any other OS their short term strategy and Windows Phail will kill them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Timisoara, Romania
My 50 cents: MeeGo IS in Store - Maemo is NOT

Because Nokia abandoned Meego development, as well as Intel. Harmattan is not Meego (it's more Maemo really), and never became Meego proper (even if there were such plans in the past).

If Meego isn't dead, it's only because of the Mer (Meego Relaunched) project. Otherwise, Intel's and Nokia's Meego is dead.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
It is dead because even if they have a long term strategy with any other OS their short term strategy and Windows Phail will kill them.
Yes, either Nokia will succeed with ZunePhones, or Nokia will be purchased for their patents. They're down to their last chance. If they fail with Windoze phones, in three years Finland's biggest export will be Nylon Beat CDs.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
MeeGo is more alive than Maemo5 and Maemo5 isn't dead is it? It's all up to the community.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
It's all up to the community.
So far Plasma Active with Mer looks pretty promising (Spark tablet is coming soon). Nemo/Mer still needs usability additions to become mature and more devices besides N9(50) where to run of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I don't know why people still insist on referring to it as MeeGo.
(can't blame them thanks to the dumb/confused marketing I guess)
I find that to be an extremely offensive name, I stopped calling it that ages ago
Maemo6x is far more appropriate and technically more accurate.
Not saying it's a direct descendant of Maemo5x, there's some significant differences.
But it most certainly isn't MeeGo proper, it never even got close to fully transitioning.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down