Active Topics

Well, I must have screwed something up. My 770 locks up all the time now. Sometimes it reboots itself. It's mostly unresponsive. The root filesystem looks like it's full if I can believe what the system monitor plugin applet is displaying. Of course, the file manager app shows me nothing useful about cleaning up the file system. The application manager, If I can get it to run, only shows a few apps, and in total, they might be 10 megs at the most. I uninstalled most everything. I've somehow filled up 128 with something. I tried xterm, but I don't know where in the file system to look.

I used to run linux on a second pc a few years ago (not Debian, though), but I can barely remember basic shell commands and I've already dug out my running linux and linux in a nutshell books. I just don't have the time these days to RTFM....

So unless I can figure out what else to do, I'll probably re flash it this weekend. No Maemo Mapper for the next few days

I'm having the exact same problem as of today while using Maemo Mapper. Can't get anything to work now!

I'm not completely sure what happened to my 770, but a re-flash fixed it.

I think at some point, if the root filesystem grows too big, the whole OS comes to a grinding halt. It may be just too many installed apps or maybe an uninstalled app that left files behind. After my reflash, I only installed the essentials (mapper included) and I'm trying to keep the system lean until I can try booting off a 2gb memory card some time in the future.

I think this is what a few 770 veterans have referred to when they talk about limited memory on the device. The workaround seems to be the card boot hack. You get a real linux swap file, real linux file system and then you can install more goodies.

The Following User Says Thank You to revwillie For This Useful Post: