Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
you have an HTC Hero?

http://flashplayerversion.com - I'm curious as to your version of the FP on that device.
Yep, got it this week, my old Nokia E70 served me well but was starting to behave pretty erratically. And I needed a new toy Anyway, nice phone, the google calendar and gmail etc. integration is very nice and it sure is pretty. I'm very interested in the N900 and future Maemo devices of course too, but I'm thinking I just might skip the N900 and see how the Maemo devices coming out next year are. We'll see.

Anyway, about flash - that page loads up and says:

AFL 9,1,122,0

Debugger version? No

So sounds like Flash 9 to me. I wonder what this Flash 10 hype about the Hero is about since the version clearly says 9...strange.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
My understanding was that they wanted to release Flash 10 on the device at launch, but didn't manage to get it working in time. I.e. they are working on it atm, and therefore it will become available at some point in the not too distant future.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
As it stands, this is a huge hindrance for me. Anybody know anything more?
This is the last I've heard:

Originally Posted by jdowdell View Post

Nokia has licensed sourcecode for Adobe Flash Player, and I don't have full details on the implementation... hard for me to talk specific details yet, sorry.

But I do know that many content sites check for H.264 support, which arrived on the desktop in Adobe Flash Player 9.0.115.0 in December of last year. Some sites today specifically use Player 10 features, and some always check for the current versions as a security nudge... it's hard to generalize about sites' various detection schemes.

But, as before, we're in the final months of an architecture change... Player 10 is moving beyond laptops to mobile and home systems. First results should be at the end of the year, with production ramping up next year. This generation features over-the-air updating, as well as intrinsic cross-device support, so things should be simpler than they are today.

Best word on what the N900 can do would come from Nokia themselves, but I know that general progress is being made in this area, if that's of help.

jd/adobe

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
Anyway, about flash - that page loads up and says:

AFL 9,1,122,0

Debugger version? No

So sounds like Flash 9 to me. I wonder what this Flash 10 hype about the Hero is about since the version clearly says 9...strange.
Read this... and now I'm scratching my head.

It's supposed to be 10.x, but I'm starting wonder if they're calling 9.1.x "FP10" when honestly it's supporting mostly H.264 and other things that came with Flash Media Server 3 et al.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This thread should really be in General so I could thank all the helpful posts...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Read this... and now I'm scratching my head.

It's supposed to be 10.x, but I'm starting wonder if they're calling 9.1.x "FP10" when honestly it's supporting mostly H.264 and other things that came with Flash Media Server 3 et al.
You have to read the Adobe/HTC Press Release very carefully to realise that it's not Flash 10 that has been released on the HTC Hero - it's a version of Flash (the exact version is never mentioned) that will play 80% of Flash content already "out there", and the version number provided by BatPenguin confirms it is a build based on Flash Player 9.

The Press Release avoids declaring the specific version of Flash being announced (I'm sure they were intentionally ambiguous for maximum impact) and then states (eventually) that Flash 10 is to be delivered "in the future".

Do you have any authoritative sources where it is stated that Flash 10 is now available for the HTC Hero (ie. from HTC themselves, or Adobe?) The blog post you have linked to is a re-hash of the Adobe/HTC Press Release but to it's credit the blog post does not make the mistake of stating that Flash 10 is now shipping on the Hero.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
This thread should really be in General so I could thank all the helpful posts...
And I just spent 20 seconds trying to find the Thanks link on this very post. *facepalm*

I can confirm BatPenguin's post same version here...

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Do you have any authoritative sources where it is stated that Flash 10 is now available for the HTC Hero (ie. from HTC themselves, or Adobe?) The blog post you have linked to is a re-hash of the Adobe/HTC Press Release but to it's credit the blog post does not make the mistake of stating that Flash 10 is now shipping on the Hero.
Ryan Stewart, that link I posted earlier works at Adobe on the Adobe Flex/Flash Builder (Flex 4) and Adobe Flash Catalyst teams.

So on first read, you'd think he was a person that would know.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I thought about posting it there, but I think I posted my prior Flash related stuff here - bad habit I guess.